TSA banning certain batteries

Size15's

Flashaholic
Perhaps best not to drift further off-topic.
Lets try keeping this thread on the topic of the new battery restrictions due to impact on passengers flying to and from the USA from 2008.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Ok, I am about to take a trip to my fathers in NC and we go camping and atv'ing so my lights, and batts are a must. So assuming that SF 123's have less than 2 grams of lithium metal per battery than I can bring my two SC1's fully loaded and a couple boxes as long as I carry them on, right?

-Evan

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a site, ( ie market) or is it just Walmart, similar to Apliu Street Kowloon (Hong Kong) where you can buy good inexpensive CR123's over the counter in USA, and elsewhere.

This would help in the carrying of numerous, many unused, CR123's.

CR123's are ridiculous price here in UK over the counter.

With planning, I get all mine mail order.

I found that Lowe's (hardware store chain like Home Depot), sells inexpensive CR123A (relatively). I recently got SureFire 2x CR123A for less than $5 (something like $4.89) per pack (2x CR123A per pack). Pretty good price for a non-online brick and mortar store.

Online, you get them for something like $1.75 each.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Al,

The next thing we have to get a reading on is what the term "battey" means.

A single cell can also be called a battery, but usually a battery is made up of several cells.

In the case of the M6, it uses 6 cells for its battery pack. If the battery magazine was considered a "battery," then it would exceed the 2 gram limit.

The same goes for cameras and camera equipment. If you are using Energizer L91 Lithium AA cells, and your camera uses 4 of these cells, it could be considered a 4 cell battery pack, and that would also exceed the 2 gram limit.

On the other hand, if you pulled the cells out and carried them separately, you may be OK. I don't see a limit to the amount of single primary cells that you can carry.

This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out...

Tom
Good point. I hope that is not what they meant because lots of people are going to be confused. I think the average person on the street would say that a 3 D cell Mag has three batteries, and a 4 D cell Mag has 4 batteries.

lebox97

Enlightened
'for CR123 deals - go to "Good Deals"

for up-to-date TSA Government info - go to http://www.tsa.gov/
then, clicking on "New FAA Regulation on Spare Lithium Batteries (DOT.gov)" takes you here - http://phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PH...toid=24e4ffc638ef6110VgnVCM1000001ecb7898RCRD

as far as I am concerned - anything/everything else is hearsay as the below is what TSA will live by until something else changes.

from above link...
"PHMSA 11-07 Friday, December 28, 2007
Tel.: (202) 366-4831
New US DOT Hazmat Safety Rule to Place Lithium Battery Limits in Carry-on Baggage on Passenger Aircraft Effective January 1, 2008
Passengers will no longer be able to pack loose lithium batteries in checked luggage beginning January 1, 2008 once new federal safety rules take effect. The new regulation, designed to reduce the risk of lithium battery fires, will continue to allow lithium batteries in checked baggage if they are installed in electronic devices, or in carry-on baggage if stored in plastic bags.
Common consumer electronics such as travel cameras, cell phones, and most laptop computers are still allowed in carry-on and checked luggage. However, the rule limits individuals to bringing only two extended-life spare rechargeable lithium batteries (see attached illustration), such as laptop and professional audio/video/camera equipment lithium batteries in carry-on baggage.
"Doing something as simple as keeping a spare battery in its original retail packaging or a plastic zip-lock bag will prevent unintentional short-circuiting and fires," said Krista Edwards, Deputy Administrator of the U.S. Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
Lithium batteries are considered hazardous materials because they can overheat and ignite in certain conditions. Safety testing conducted by the FAA found that current aircraft cargo fire suppression system would not be capable of suppressing a fire if a shipment of non-rechargeable lithium batteries were ignited in flight..."

(bold and underline is mine)

above wording is not as clear or logical as we know it should/could be - but I read the above message intent-summary (for us flashoholics) is - no loose cells in checked or carry on baggage.
:thinking:

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
" ...will continue to allow lithium batteries in checked baggage if they are installed in electronic devices..."

Translation: If you need to bring many batteries, bring many flashlights to carry the batteries ;)

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened
Nice job folks; CPF comes thru again!

There is a lot of misinformation out there on this issue. Most sites are simply reporting you can only take two spare batteries. No mention of type or size, just two spares, period! I checked the TSA site, and found it (ahem) somewhat less than clear. :confused: I thought I remembered seeing a thread on this here, and sure enough, you got it figured out. Its good to know I can still take a box of 123s in my carryon.

Cheers

Wicho

Enlightened
Re: Baggage ban on batteries begins

I just read the article - guess I'll just have to carry extra flashlights and use them as "battery carriers".

Do they really think they're going to be able to spot loose batteries in checked baggage? Geez.

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened
Re: Travelling by air?, Please read, New DOT Lithium rules...

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it. :p

I wonder how this will affect hobbies related to flashlights and lasers.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS: I don't care what any of these "other" websites say - the TSA AND the specific airline makes the rules and enforcement - if you don't like it or agree with it - don't fly - use the train, car, bus, cycle or walk. :mecry:
rant off.
;)

Lucky those of you who live in a country so big that you never need to leave it.

I'm still waiting for my car to learn how to sail.

MicroE

Enlightened
Do you believe that the ban will include AA and AAA Energizer primary lithiums?
How about rechargeable AA's?

I travel a lot and I am curious about how the rules will actually be enforced by the personnel at the x-ray machine.

Two days ago I had an apple (fruit, not ipod or Mac) confiscated by the x-ray operator at the Statue of Liberty.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two days ago I had an apple (fruit, not ipod or Mac) confiscated by the x-ray operator at the Statue of Liberty.

You use an apple to power your flashlights?

Next time, make sure to keep the apple inside the flashlight to keep it from being confiscated.

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you believe that the ban will include AA and AAA Energizer primary lithiums?
How about rechargeable AA's?

AA and AAA Energizer e2 Lithiums are considered Lithium Metal batteries.

Read the TSA website about Lithium Metal batteries. Try not to get confused between Lithium Metal and Lithium-Ion rechargeables.

lebox97

Enlightened
I would suggest that ANY cell specially if it says "lithium" is going to get scrutinized.
Again - if there is going to be a debate at the security line - you'll lose.

KISS = keep it simple - make sure all cells are all in a container of some sort (original packing, box, flashlight, "plastic bag", etc) - not "loose" - and you should be fine. ;)

Phaetos

Enlightened
TSA Limits Lithium Batteries on flights

Starting Jan 1, 2008. See this link :

• Spare batteries are the batteries you carry separately from the devices they power. When batteries are installed in a device, they are not considered spare batteries.
  • You may not pack a spare lithium battery in your checked baggage
  • You may bring spare lithium batteries with you in carry-on baggage – see our spare battery tips and how-to sections to find out how to pack spare batteries safely!
The following quantity limits apply to both your spare and installed batteries. The limits are expressed in grams of "equivalent lithium content." 8 grams of equivalent lithium content is approximately 100 watt-hours. 25 grams is approximately 300 watt-hours:
  • Under the new rules, you can bring batteries with up to 8-gram equivalent lithium content. All lithium ion batteries in cell phones are below 8 gram equivalent lithium content. Nearly all laptop computers also are below this quantity threshold.
  • You can also bring up to two spare batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram threshold. Examples of two types of lithium ion batteries with equivalent lithium content over 8 grams but below 25 are shown below.
  • For a lithium metal battery, whether installed in a device or carried as a spare, the limit on lithium content is 2 grams of lithium metal per battery.
  • Almost all consumer-type lithium metal batteries are below 2 grams of lithium metal. But if you are unsure, contact the manufacturer!
Examples of extended-life rechargeable lithium batteries (more than 8 but not more than 25 grams of equivalent lithium content):

Latest posts