Ultra-powerful floodlights seen on TV and movies

B

bigdog

Greetings,
I am looking for information on the ultra powerful floodlights used on such shows as the X-Files, and in movies like the first Jurassic Park.
They have a coiled cord from the battery in tha back of the light that goes to the handle which hold the light.
Anyone know the manufacturer and model of these lights? Please email me directly at [email protected]
Thanks!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF bigdog,

Actually, that's the MaxaBeam you're looking for.
I've moved this thread to the Spotlights/HID Forum we have for topics such as this.

Thanks

Al

FrUitSkI

Newly Enlightened
wh00ps can't believe I scr***....mixed up the name in my head, maxabeam ofcourse, I apologize /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
P6100001.sized.jpg

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
they rate it at I belive 90 minutes at normal power and over 120 minutes on low power. I tested this on my light and was dissapointed that it ran 89 minutes before shutdown. 1 minute short!!! lol on high it may run for 60 minutes or so but you need to manualy hold the switch to high as it will time out. You may overheat the lamp as well so that would not be recomended.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FrUitSkI said:
wh00ps can't believe I scr***....mixed up the name in my head, maxabeam ofcourse, I apologize /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We can say "screwed" here on CPF, buddy. They aren't THAT strict...

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
Hope I don't get my wrist slapped for dredging up this thread. I'm a noob here. I've always liked flashlights and have owned a few run of the mill Surefire lights for a while now. Having found this fine forum, I've added to my small collection exponentially in the past few weeks. It was on another forum where someone mentioned the Maxabeam (a photography forum) and I looked it up. WOW!!!!! And I mean as to price. Over two grand for the basic model. I showed it to my wife, who just bought me the Fenix 35 and she said I should get two. She wasn't serious, obviously.

But that's some serious power.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope I don't get my wrist slapped for dredging up this thread. I'm a noob here. I've always liked flashlights and have owned a few run of the mill Surefire lights for a while now. Having found this fine forum, I've added to my small collection exponentially in the past few weeks. It was on another forum where someone mentioned the Maxabeam (a photography forum) and I looked it up. WOW!!!!! And I mean as to price. Over two grand for the basic model. I showed it to my wife, who just bought me the Fenix 35 and she said I should get two. She wasn't serious, obviously.

Welcome to CPF MDJAK !

I will try to not tempt you with any other lights :)

And I didn't spend anywhere that much on mine (it's second hand from the Marketplace)

BVH

Flashaholic

The Maxabeam is a fantastic light for its' intended purpose - light things and small areas up at long to very long distances away. They are not very useful for close and medium distances. It is a short-arc light and as such, does not produce as many Lumens per Watt as compared to the more conventional HID lights which produce greater Lumens per Watt but will not "throw" them down field nearly as far. These are relative numbers for comparison, not exact. Maxabeam Gen3, 85 Watts (on high mode) produces somewhere around 2000 Lumens. The Polarion 40 Watt light produces around 4500 Lumens The Polarion 40 and 50 Watt HID's are much more useful for everyday tasks.

Last edited:

Latest posts