UltraFire UF-H2

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I bought a Zebralight first and had problems. I just got the Ultrafire UF-H2b and actually think it is better than the ZL. It works which is already a big step up from my ZL H1. My H1 died on the second day of use!

Which model ZL did you have ? I'm not familiar with a "H1". Did you send your ZL back to be fixed/replaced ?

speedsix

Enlightened
Which model ZL did you have ? I'm not familiar with a "H1". Did you send your ZL back to be fixed/replaced ?

Sorry, I had the H51. It stopped working on the second day of use and I sent it back. It would go into ultra low mode and just get stuck there. It also would get very hot with only 1-2 mins of use. Too hot to hold with bare hands.

I have been using my Ultrafire everyday at work and just bought a spare to keep at home. Great light and while not quite as brit as the ZL, it is far more reliable and doesn't get turned on by accident like the ZL does. That switch on the ZL is too easy to press. I felt a burning in my pocket and realized it was on.

I really like the ZL design and idea but the one and only product I had from them was a total pile of junk. Prob won't ever buy another since I can 2-3 of the far superior Ultrafires for the same price. If the ZL H51 and the Ultrafire cost the same, I would buy the Ultrafire.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I had the H51. It stopped working on the second day of use and I sent it back. It would go into ultra low mode and just get stuck there. It also would get very hot with only 1-2 mins of use. Too hot to hold with bare hands.

i think you should just put that in your sig line. save you the trouble of typing it over and over since you seem to do so every time you post in the headlamp forum. ;)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I had the H51. It stopped working on the second day of use and I sent it back....

I really like the ZL design and idea but the one and only product I had from them was a total pile of junk. Prob won't ever buy another since I can 2-3 of the far superior Ultrafires for the same price. If the ZL H51 and the Ultrafire cost the same, I would buy the Ultrafire.

Strange, as I have the Ultrafire H2 (not the B version) and it is badly made, has terrible parasitic drain and the battery cap threads feel like they are going to slip.

My H51 on the other hand is fantastic quality much brighter with immediate access to low or high. I would buy ZL every time as the H2 was a waste of money (or an education in you get what you pay for). I then bought the SC51.

Admittedly I also have the Ultrafire H3 which is much better made (or appears that way, maybe because it is bigger) which has far lower parasitic drain and I use regularly. The H2 unfortunately I could not recommend and don't want to risk wasting money buying the B version.

I can understand your reluctance after a negative first ZL experience, but I think you were very unlucky.

speedsix

Enlightened
Could be but I am very happy with the Ultrafire so far. It may have some drain but it is not a big issue for me as I use it almost every day and have Eneloops and spares. I go through a lot of batteries in my hand helds and headlights so I am always ready with a backup light or battery.

The ZL overall quality seemed good as far fit and finish but the switch was easy to accidentally turn on which the Ultrafire is not. It is very possible that the ZL I had was a fluke and a lemon and not indicative of their quality in general but when I pay over $60 for a light, I expect it to work. When I pay $10 for a light, I expect some issues. At $60+, I don't want to have to trouble shoot it in the first 2 days.

My $19 Streamlight Stylus Pro has been my work EDC since I bought it and it has never failed in anyway. I have used that light 15-20 times every day and dropped it several times.

speedsix

Enlightened
i think you should just put that in your sig line. save you the trouble of typing it over and over since you seem to do so every time you post in the headlamp forum. ;)

Am I not allowed to say anything negative about a product that completely disappointed me? I thought that was sort of the point of this forum. If I am the only one that has ever had a bad ZL product (which I am not) than the readers can take my view for what it is. I never said that all ZLs were bad, only the one I got. If 100 say it is great and 20 people have problems and they all voice their experience honestly, that is the way it is supposed to work. If we are not allowed to say anything negative because they are a sponsor then how can we trust anything on this forum?

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Am I not allowed to say anything negative about a product that completely disappointed me? I thought that was sort of the point of this forum. If I am the only one that has ever had a bad ZL product (which I am not) than the readers can take my view for what it is. I never said that all ZLs were bad, only the one I got. If 100 say it is great and 20 people have problems and they all voice their experience honestly, that is the way it is supposed to work. If we are not allowed to say anything negative because they are a sponsor then how can we trust anything on this forum?

first of all, i was just having some fun.;) second, you can say whatever you want as many times as you want even if it's the same thing over and over again. third, so can i. fourth, you had the ZL for two days, and you got 95% of your money back, your level of disappointment seems disproportionately high to the level of time/money invested - honestly, i've met guys divorced from multi-year marriages that weren't as bitter as you (i kid, i kid :D). and last, i was just having some fun. c'mon laugh a little, what's life without laughter.

anyway, i bought a PT Eos once that was defective out of the box. i was very disappointed because for the price i paid i was expecting a first quality item. i was also disappointed that i had to spend my own money to send it in for replacement. i have mentioned this a couple times on this forum, but only a couple... well, i guess it's three times since i'm mentioning it now. anyhow, i gave the replacement a chance and was happy with it. i think the PT Eos is a good headlamp and PT a good company. i had one brief bad experience. it did not sour me on all PT's. and i didn't spam every single PT thread about how awfully disappointed i was. i'm just saying.

i'm not saying that you should follow my example or anything... oh wait, no, that's exactly what i'm saying, isn't it.:crackup:again, i kid i kid.

Last edited:

saypat

Enlightened

Mine is an UltraFire UF-H2B. I love it! It works also on a Trustfire 14500 protected battery. A feature of this light that many are not aware of is that if you hold down the switch while starting it, it will come on in the brightest setting. Hoo-yah! This is a terrific little light, only problem being the OSO mode instead of SOS ":eek:) Got (2) of them on a group buy for $17/ea. Not for sale!

Last edited:

speedsix

Enlightened
Well, I am not going to get into a fight over a headlamp. I am a geek but I am not a total geek.

I am happy with my Ultrafire and wasn't happy with the ZL. I just bought a second Ultrafire as a spare and will probably not bother with ZL in the future because for 1/3rd the cost, I can get a light that is 99% as good in the ways that count to me. In fact, I consider the Ultrafire a flat out superior light regardless of price because of the different features and design aspects such as the magnetic tail cap and cooler running temps.

I am basing this on owning a single example of each but in my very limited experience, the ZL was very Bad and the Ultrafire was very good. Maybe I got the only crappy ZL ever made and the only good Ultrafire but I seriously doubt it. I might be missing out on a good light by not buying any more of the ZLs but with good lights like the UF around, I am not missing out on much.

Probably the biggest downside to the UF is the parasitic battery drain. I went to use my UF this evening at work and when I pressed the switch, nothing! I was like, WTF? Then I remembered that I had unscrewed the tail cap to limit the power loss and all was good. It produces a nice floody even lit for working up close. It is worthless for any distance but same is true of the ZL. For working on things at arms length, it is outstanding and makes me not miss my PT EOS one bit.

bob13bob

Newly Enlightened
just received my uf-h2b from ebay. the button has slight issues. it requires a hard press past the -click- to operate. its frustrating without tactile feedback at that amount of force. when i cycle the power levels (hold button), it sometimes switches to strobe mode instead (registeres as 2clicks).

Latest posts