• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

V3 Triple XPG 1100 lumen Fully Regulated Drop-ins now available

LightJunk

Enlightened
Single cell is fine with these.
They will run at about 75% output.

I haven't tested the runtime on those cells yet.

Comparing to the 2600mAh test:
IMR 26500 should run for about 50+ minutes
IMR 26650 should run for about 90+ minutes

I will do a true runtime test at some point with these cells.

How about running 2 IMR 26500 or IMR 26650 cells for this drop-in?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Guys,

There is no need to use IMR cells in a 2 cell configuration, unless it is IMR 16340.
The only change will be shorter runtimes.
These only pull about 1.3 amps with 2 cells.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I before starting with rechargeables, I read a lot about them and my conclusion was to never use li-ions in multi-cell configurations to stay on the safe side.

According to AW, the IMR have a "safe chemistry" and should present no safety problem in multi cell configuration...

The 3 mode does not have memory. It starts in HIGH 100%, then MEDIUM 20%, then LOW 2%

In 2 weeks we will have more single mode Neutrals, and Cools available.

Could you please reveal the tints of your emitters? I have a feeling that the cools are not the usual 1 A/B, but something around 2 C/D or 3 A/B while the neutrals are not the usual 5 A/B/C, but 4 A/B/C/D. Those are the nicer tints in my eyes, the cools don't risk to be greenish but have a pleasant hint of warmth and the neutrals are not so "colored".

I wonder if the 3-mode makes sense, if I grab the Triple, I surely want power and if it starts on high anyway, first my night vision is ruined, second I don't want less anymore... :devil:

Hopefully this next batch will last a bit longer for you guys. :)

I have done tons of testing on these, and they really do impress.
Very happy to offer them to you guys.

You can bet that we are happy to receive them!!! :party: :wave:

donn_

Flashaholic
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I before starting with rechargeables, I read a lot about them and my conclusion was to never use li-ions in multi-cell configurations to stay on the safe side.

You are wrong. I've used most of AW's protected Li-Ion cells in multi-cell applications ranging from 2x to 8x, and have yet to experience a problem.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are wrong. I've used most of AW's protected Li-Ion cells in multi-cell applications ranging from 2x to 8x, and have yet to experience a problem.

I'm happy you didn't have any exploding cells yet, but that's not a proof that it is safe. I guess you know how to handle your cells and so the risk is minimized.

There are people in the world who drink and who smoke and reach 100 years, nevertheless drinking (excessively) and smoking present serious risks for your health...

Let's change the question a bit : Is it safer to use 2 IMR cells than 2 li-ion cells?

Sorry for the OT, anyway it is too late, I already ordered IMR cells (don't have any 18500 yet) to use with the Triple and I'm fine with the resulting runtimes... :shrug:

donn_

Flashaholic
Let's change the question a bit : Is it safer to use 2 IMR cells than 2 li-ion cells?

I'd call it about the same, with runtime going to the protected AW cells, and current handling going to the IMR cells.

I use a wide variety of cells, and consider both the charge and discharge capabilities of each in deciding which cells to use in which applications.

If the application doesn't need high current handling in either charge or discharge, I use protected Li-Ions for runtime.

If high discharge current or fast (high current) charge is required, I use either IMR cells or LiFePO4 cells.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm that the Neutrals are a 4C tint.
I will get the cool bin for you guys sometime soon.

I will leave the battery choices open for discussion.

Personally, I keep a very close eye on all of my lithium cells.
I have tried many combinations, and not had any problems yet.

We all know that they are potentially dangerous.

If you feel safer with IMR cells, you are free to do so.

Any device using any combination of 1 or more lithium cells has the potential to explode.

Please use quality cells, and maintain them carefully.

summy670x

Newly Enlightened
I can confirm that the Neutrals are a 4C tint.
I will get the cool bin for you guys sometime soon.

I will leave the battery choices open for discussion.

Personally, I keep a very close eye on all of my lithium cells.
I have tried many combinations, and not had any problems yet.

We all know that they are potentially dangerous.

If you feel safer with IMR cells, you are free to do so.

Any device using any combination of 1 or more lithium cells has the potential to explode.

Please use quality cells, and maintain them carefully.

subsribed to your mailing list as i'm tired of missing these triple xpg's :(

will go nicely on an orange 9p to compliment my new white 6p i just ordered :)

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any problems running protected 123's? I didn't see anything about them.

From the OP:
"DO NOT USE A SINGLE PROTECTED 16340 WITH THESE"

This should read:
"DO NOT USE 1 or 2 PROTECTED 16340 WITH THESE"

Just edited this for you.

protected 16340 are not recommended at this current draw.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone doing a runtime graph for this one? I am very interested in one for my newly acquired C2 :twothumbs

wingnutLP

Enlightened
Do you have a multi mode or warm option in the pipeline?

These look like a work of art and a labour of love! I can't wait to get one. If multi mode will not be available then I will happily buy one of these but if a three mode version may come up in the future then I will hold fire.

Thanks for your great work! The website is looking fantastic by the way.:thumbsup:

Neo Mara

Newly Enlightened
Ah this is exactly what I need! I missed out though, I was a little confused by the Oveready email on where to look for these. Can't wait for the next batch. Amazing work as usual.

elho

Enlightened
Yes, these are all built with the narrow clear lens.

If someone needs a different lens, please email me, and I will make a few exceptions.
So, is the optic fixed this time? :thinking: I expected the same user- but not field-swappable (and compatible) design as with the direct-drive Triples...

These only pull about 1.3 amps with 2 cells.
protected 16340 are not recommended at this current draw.
I have never taken a closer look at them, due to the capacty advantage of a single 18650, but that sounds like 1.3A are well inside the specs:
AW said:
New to my product line is these safety features rich Protected R123s.

- max. recommended continuous discharge rate @1.5A ( 2C )
:thinking:

Are there any plans to do any such mass-produced Triples targeted for use with a single 18650? :poke:
(I'd happily buy a second of the direct-drive Triples any day just to be able to swap between narrow clear and medium frosted in the field - or just use both of them at the same time... :devil:)

The 3 mode does not have memory. It starts in HIGH 100%, then MEDIUM 20%, then LOW 2%
I applaud this great choice. :clap:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations, mate! :thumbsup:
And that one day after I said that I doubt you would be lucky enough to grab a direct-drive one used one... :D
Hi elho :wave: Exaclty, I knew the direct drive preorder thread and thought it would take quite a while until I would be able to get one. Fortunatelly I ordered a SS bezel with tool from Oveready on friday and joined the email newsletter. Got the newsletter while I was online and bingo. I didn´t even realise there was a new thread over here at CPF. Anyway, I guess sunday was germany´s lucky day :D

Eric

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, is the optic fixed this time? I expected the same user- but not field-swappable (and compatible) design as with the direct-drive Triples...

These optics are permanently glued into place. They cannot be swapped after they are built.

I have never taken a closer look at them, due to the capacty advantage of a single 18650, but that sounds like 1.3A are well inside the specs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW
New to my product line is these safety features rich Protected R123s.

- max. recommended continuous discharge rate @1.5A ( 2C )

It seems that some CPFrs have tested these and advised against this type of current draw for these cells. Maybe because of decreased life of the cells?
I do not remember exactly where I found this info.

This is why the thread is here, so we can all help each other make the best of our lights.

If there is more info supporting aw protected 16340 at 1.5A, let's hear it.

NOTE: DO NOT USE A SINGLE PROTECTED 16340 WITH THESE. CURRENT DRAW CAN EXCEED 3A DURING THE CYCLE.

Are there any plans to do any such mass-produced Triples targeted for use with a single 18650?
(I'd happily buy a second of the direct-drive Triples any day just to be able to swap between narrow clear and medium frosted in the field - or just use both of them at the same time... )

The Copper based LED platform will not be made in any large quantities. It is simply too difficult to do perfectly, and also very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddoo
I applaud this great choice.

Very glad to hear that you agree, We have put a lot of time into the design and testing of these units.

More to come soon!

elho

Enlightened
Got the newsletter while I was online and bingo.
Hmm, so your newsletter actually had any useful content then... The one I got did not contain anything but "Welcome to the 3rd OVEREADY Insider. June". Seems there is something wrong at least with the plain text version of it.

elho

Enlightened
The Copper based LED platform will not be made in any large quantities. It is simply too difficult to do perfectly, and also very expensive.
Yes, I know that part, that sentence of mine in paranthesis was just meant to explain why I am still insterested in future Triples. :)

So, to put my question more clearly: Are there plans or is there at least reason to hope that there will be a version designed for use with single 18650 cells of these mass-produced MCPCB based triples?

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
..<snip>..Got the newsletter while I was online and bingo.

Eric

+1 :thumbsup:

@ elho,
I would suggest reading those emails a little more carefully!

..also, use HTML so that you can view the GORGEOUS pictures. That way you don't even need to be able to read. :p

2jbql1t.jpg

..just what the doctor ordered!!! 1000 lumens of Surefire goodness. :devil:

Come to papa!

Latest posts