• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

V3 Triple XPG 1100 lumen Fully Regulated Drop-ins now available

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I know that part, that sentence of mine in paranthesis was just meant to explain why I am still insterested in future Triples. :)

So, to put my question more clearly: Are there plans or is there at least reason to hope that there will be a version designed for use with single 18650 cells of these mass-produced MCPCB based triples?

You can hope, and I can hope.
Maybe together, we can hope it into reality!

Honestly, it is something that I am investigating.
We do not have a full output single cell version designed or tested yet.
If it happens, I have no idea when that would be.

For now, 800 emitter lumens is the best I can do for you guys on 1 cell.

For some of you hot rod pocket rocket fans,
I have some more direct drive something coming out in small quantities soon.

Cheers

elho

Enlightened
I would suggest reading those emails a little more carefully!
No, as I stated, the body of the email did not contain anything more than those letters quoted. But that error aparrently only affected the non-HTML newsletter.

..also, use HTML so that you can view the GORGEOUS pictures. That way you don't even need to be able to read. :p
HTML is for the web, not email and thus I was very happy that I could choose a non-HTML version when subscribing. The newsletter before did actually work and had text in it.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about running 2 IMR 26500 or IMR 26650 cells for this drop-in?

Yes, any combination of cells that falls in between 4.8 - 9.5 volts will run these in full regulation.
Below 4.8v, output will begin to drop off.

anyone doing a runtime graph for this one? I am very interested in one for my newly acquired C2 :twothumbs

The best I can do is taking many manual measurements and plotting them out.
Hopefully someone with a better setup can do this job for us.

Do you have a multi mode or warm option in the pipeline?

These look like a work of art and a labour of love! I can't wait to get one. If multi mode will not be available then I will happily buy one of these but if a three mode version may come up in the future then I will hold fire.

Thanks for your great work! The website is looking fantastic by the way.:thumbsup:

Thank You Sir,
Yes, 3 mode will be coming along in a bout 4 weeks.
Warms may happen also, I do not have a date for those yet.

Modoo, have you all done any lux readings with the V3?

Lux at 1 meter is about 5000 with these.
Of course the beam is huge with the XPG.
This is my favorite usable beam out of all of my lights.

Hello Tom,
I can provide XPGWHT-01-5B1-R4-0-01 leds for my module. Is it possible?

I am not currently going to offer those types of custom LED setups.
We are striving to provide you with all of the best, and most desired LED tints that we can.

Noctis

Enlightened
You can hope, and I can hope.
Maybe together, we can hope it into reality!

Honestly, it is something that I am investigating.
We do not have a full output single cell version designed or tested yet.
If it happens, I have no idea when that would be.

For some of you hot rod pocket rocket fans,
I have some more direct drive something coming out in small quantities soon.

Cheers
I'll be watching your site like a sniper looking at a nude beach:devil:

elho

Enlightened
These only pull about 1.3 amps with 2 cells.
Thinking about that again... did you measure that current with fresh cells or later on?
If that is with fresh cells at 8.4V, then current will go up as voltage goes down due to the regulation continuing to pull the same power.

sfca

Enlightened

One word: spoiled. 800 lumens is enough already!
yellowlaugh.gif

Noctis

Enlightened
One word: spoiled. 800 lumens is enough already!
yellowlaugh.gif
Spoiled indeed. I've been spoiled silly by nailbender.

His SST-90 Direct Drive module gives me ~780 OTF lumens on an IMR 18650 cell. While it's only good for half a minute before the heat brings down the lumens, I simply crave more given what the original Triples are capable of.

I'm not sure why, but 1000 OTF lumens is just sort of a magic number for me, and I just don't feel satisfied unless I hit that number.

There's just something about walking around with a 1,000 lumen pocket rocket that tickles me:whistle:.

And that ugly little fine print on the bottom that says that the OTF numbers will be less is bringing out the pessimist in me:devil:.

I vote that one be sent to bigchelis for testing:poke:.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about that again... did you measure that current with fresh cells or later on?
If that is with fresh cells at 8.4V, then current will go up as voltage goes down due to the regulation continuing to pull the same power.

Very Good point Sir.
the 1.3A draw is with a fresh pair of cells (8.4V)
getting to the extreme end of the discharge,these will pull nearly 2A at 6 Volts.

Here is a shot of the Current vs Voltage for these units.

currentvsvoltage.jpg

The Complete Data sheet can be found here.
http://lux-rc.com/content/showcase/L30/L332PCB-EN-240610.pdf

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
Moddoo,

I have a quick question concerning the 1100 and 1400 lumen light engines. I am trying to decide between purchasing from the next batch of 1100's or waiting for the 1400. I will be running the engine in a 9P with two 1800's and a McClicky.

Can you compare the heat issues and run times between the two? It will be used mostly for short burts of light, but if the situation requires that I have to leave the light on to cover an area I was courious if both engines will be able to handle the heat of an extended run time. Any information you give would be very helpful in helping me make my decision. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moddoo,

I have a quick question concerning the 1100 and 1400 lumen light engines. I am trying to decide between purchasing from the next batch of 1100's or waiting for the 1400. I will be running the engine in a 9P with two 1800's and a McClicky.

Can you compare the heat issues and run times between the two? It will be used mostly for short burts of light, but if the situation requires that I have to leave the light on to cover an area I was courious if both engines will be able to handle the heat of an extended run time. Any information you give would be very helpful in helping me make my decision. Thanks in advance.

A handheld 9P will run for a long time without getting uncomfortably hot. When these lights are used while walking, cooling is far better than not.
The ambient temperature, and the wind speed, and many other cooling factors come into play.

THESE ARE NOT TABLE LAMPS. DO NOT RUN THEM UNATTENDED. OVERHEATING LITHIUM BATTERIES IS DANGEROUS.
This is true with any high output flashlight.

These electronics can handle it. The drop-in will not be damaged. They have been torture tested beyond 110C (230F) for hours

All this told, the 1100 lumen model will run cooler than the 1400 lumen model.
The 1400 lumen model is still going through some testing and revisions to make sure that it is an excellent product.

:takeit:...DIBS... I MUST have one...
OK, does this guarantee me one in the next batch?
Where do I sign up at?
Dan

No reservations Dan, sorry.
We will send out another newsletter when more are available.

So far, there's been no talk of anyone running this using 2 x 18650s...
Can this be done?
What about AW's old, rare and sought after C li-ion?? I have a couple of those lying around... :twothumbs
1C or 2 x C possible for those cells?
Thanks

Yes, any combination of cells that falls in between 4.8 - 9.5 volts will run these in full regulation. (cells must be able to handle a 2A draw)
Below 4.8v, output will begin to drop off.

Please be aware of the current draw of these drop-ins when selecting you power supply (batteries)

Spoiled indeed. I've been spoiled silly by nailbender.
His SST-90 Direct Drive module gives me ~780 OTF lumens on an IMR 18650 cell. While it's only good for half a minute before the heat brings down the lumens, I simply crave more given what the original Triples are capable of.
I'm not sure why, but 1000 OTF lumens is just sort of a magic number for me, and I just don't feel satisfied unless I hit that number.
There's just something about walking around with a 1,000 lumen pocket rocket that tickles me:whistle:.
And that ugly little fine print on the bottom that says that the OTF numbers will be less is bringing out the pessimist in me:devil:.
I vote that one be sent to bigchelis for testing:poke:.

These 1100 lumen models are likely more OTF than the drop-in you mentioned.
(my sphere is not calibrated, so I cannot quote #s)
And they will provide that higher output for a very long runtime.

As for 1000 OTF, the newer 1400 lumen models should be able to achieve that goal.

Darvis

Enlightened
Moddoo/ElectronGuru,

I imagine the answer is yes, but can this module be run with a single IMR 26500 in one of the tank light hosts?