• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

V54 Lumen & Lux Measurements

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
610k vs 550 k you wouldn't be able to tell the difference for sure. As for lumens, same deal. Some led just do better than others but in practice it take a huge difference to be able to be very noticeable.

One other point to note, I was measuring lux with my phone, and got some rather disappointing numbers from a k40vn I had, even though it seemed like a great performer. It also had a slightly green tint. So I sold it. Turns out that later on after doing some 'tree searching' with it and a bunch of other lights, it threw further than any other light I had owned up to that point because it illuminated a tree that no other light I had would reach.

So the numbers from my phone app lux meter are rather unreliable. I got rid of possibly the best k40vn ever built because of my phone app lux meter. My brother's best friend owns it now and is extremely happy with it which makes me happy cause he uses it all the time and is always raving about it. So it's still a win in my book.
Wow that sux about your K40vn. Mine seems average but has really nice tint. However my K40Mvn was strong. I met up with a fellow CPF'r and comparing them, mine noticeably brighter. We even traded batteries and it made no difference.

I was thinking that the difference on the X60vn wouldn't be really visible. When do you think there would be a difference...... for example say my X60vn is 6300 lumens and 550k lux and yours is 6800 and 650k, would that be a big enough difference to discern? Or would it have to be a larger gap?

lumentia

Enlightened
When do you think there would be a difference...... for example say my X60vn is 6300 lumens and 550k lux and yours is 6800 and 650k, would that be a big enough difference to discern? Or would it have to be a larger gap?
I'll let someone else answer this, as I don't have 2 similar lights like that to compare. But it seems you would be able to notice that much of a difference.

My x60vn sure seems like it's on the higher end of the scale in terms of lumens, but it's hard to judge on the throw,especially since we've had all that smoke in the air recently. The bigger beam lights up more of the junk in the air, which glares back at you and makes your pupils constrict. Which makes it harder to see the dimmest lit trees. The beam is perfectly centered, and appears focused. I'm pretty sure that the throw is right up there with the best but it's harder to tell at the distances were talking about b/c of the smoke. I don't know how far that one tree is, but it lights it up just fine. I'm guessing it's maybe 3/4 of a mile.

O/T a bit but I'm starting to worry about the neighbors getting ticked about the lights late at night and they're probably 2 miles away. Also, it's amazing to see all the animals out and about at night. Sometimes 10 to 15 sets of eyes glaring back at you. They probably don't even realize their eyes light up like that.

lumentia

Enlightened
Re: V54 Lumen & Throw Measurements

Recent numbers...Lumen looks right on but lux numbers seem sometimes low and sometimes high...What you guys think?

HERE IS WHAT I THINK:

M43vn Goldilock XPG2s DD: 6000/5930, 107K Max Lux HIGH
TK75vnQ XML2 PDT+ DriverVNX2: 4,600/4,350, 340K Max Lux, 1170m Max Throw OK

TK75vnQ Boost Only: 4,300/4,200, 140K Max Lux, 750m Max Throw OK

TK75vnQ70 SD + DriverVNX2: 14,000/13,300, 210K Max Lux, 920m Max Throw
OK
Olight SR96vn 3*XHP70 CW Shaved Dome + 3DriverVNX2 + Factory Battery : 9,050/8,900, 100K Max Lux, 640m Max Throw
OK
X60vn XML2 PDT: 6,350/6,170, 550K Max Lux, 1,485m Max Throw LOW

6XPvn: 4200/3950, 175K Max Lux
LOW
6XLvn: 5700/5480, 130K Max Lux LITTLE LOW

TK16vn XML2 PDT: 1100,1030, 46K Max Lux HIGH
K40Mvn Boost Only: 3250/3150, 88K Max Lux
OK
LD60vn + DriverVNX1 + XML2 PDT: 2400/2530, 130K Max Lux LOW
OK my brother's m43vn goldilocks came in, and we tried it out for a bit between rainstorms. This thing rocks! It out throws my k40Mvn by a tiny bit (verified by shining on very distant trees) with a much, much larger hotspot, and a beautiful, 4700k tint. Of course it has way more lumens. If the K40Mvn is doing 4000 lumens at turn on and 3900 at 30 sec, then the M43vn is putting out 6900/6800.

My last few lights from you seem to be overacheivers. (Especially my x60vn, which was the first light to break 1000 lux on my meter, which translates to over 7100 lumens at turn on) I have not changed my testing method as I used a bunch of stock lights including fenix, zebralight, thrunight, nite core ec11, etc to set my baseline. Other V54 lights have been right on, some a bit high (k40mvn, k40vn), some a bit low (hc90vn, k40lvn) but it shows me that I am using a reasonable multiplication factor.

So if that's the case, your lumen numbers on mine seem a bit low. Lux/ candela seems right on compared to my K40mvn.

One other thing: the goldilocks version I gave to my brother (with 8 dedomed leds and 4 dome on) has a bit more lumens than my M43vn S3 3D (all dome on) and only 100 less lumens than my x60vn. :cool:

Last edited:

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America

V54 Lights:

• ZebraLightS6330vn 3*XML2 U4: 2930/2475
• TerminatorVN 4*U3 PDTc + DriverVNX2: 3390/3200
• Nitecore MH20vn U3 PDTc: 1015/975
• SSvn U3 PDTc 1-Mode: 3390/3450
• CTvn 3*XPG2 CW +DriverVN2: 1000/920
- T25Cvn + DriverVN2 + XPG2 PDT: 660/610,
55K/47K
- P60vnG + DriverVN2 + XPG2 PDT: 825/710,
70K/65K
- P60vnL + DriverVN2 + XML2 PDT: 1450/1220

Hey Vinh, any way you could edit your post for clarity? By separating the lights with bullets or dashes like I did above?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Here is why I think my tested lux numbers might be low...

Both selfbuilt and JMpaul320 tested the Tk61vn to be ~ 600K Lux, I tested 510K Lux
Justin and several members tested K40vn to be ~ 400-425K Lux, I tested 370 K Lux
Deft X tested 1000K Lux, I tested 850K Lux
X60vn tested 500K Lux, I tested 500K lux

I just tested the TN32UTvn + XPG2 PDT to be 500K Lux
This light hot spot is super intense. This light visually has the Tk61vn throw level and the lux readings prove that.

However we know the TN31/32vn are all tested ~ 500K lux already and this one lokks to throw at least 100K lux more...

Anyhow...I have reason to belive that my tested lux numbers might be low. Anyhow the TN32UTvn has a lot more testing to be done but I can say that it will do at least 500K Vinh's lux ;-)

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is why I think my tested lux numbers might be low...

Both selfbuilt and JMpaul320 tested the Tk61vn to be ~ 600K Lux, I tested 510K Lux
Justin and several members tested K40vn to be ~ 400-425K Lux, I tested 370 K Lux
Deft X tested 1000K Lux, I tested 850K Lux
X60vn tested 500K Lux, I tested 500K lux

I just tested the TN32UTvn + XPG2 PDT to be 500K Lux
This light hot spot is super intense. This light visually has the Tk61vn throw level and the lux readings prove that.

However we know the TN31/32vn are all tested ~ 500K lux already and this one lokks to throw at least 100K lux more...

Anyhow...I have reason to belive that my tested lux numbers might be low. Anyhow the TN32UTvn has a lot more testing to be done but I can say that it will do at least 500K Vinh's lux ;-)

Maybe you have a defective lux meter?

Or maybe testing needs to be done at a further distance so the beam is collaminated. Maybe test at 10 meters or further.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Maybe you have a defective lux meter?

Or maybe testing needs to be done at a further distance so the beam is collaminated. Maybe test at 10 meters or further.

Nah I just think I need a correcting factor HMM...We will see Let me talk to some pro.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: V54 Lumen & Lux Measurements

Curious, what distance do you measure lux at now?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: V54 Lumen & Lux Measurements

Just to RE-Clarify:

Just because they are measured at 7.5 meters DOESN'T mean they are comparable numbers, EXCEPT at 7.5 m.

The reason is, again, the distance required for the beam to fully form.

This is WHY the 1 m numbers are always low for example on a good thrower, and we back calculate TO 1 m equivalent....and measure at a longer distance.

So if Beam A is fully formed at 6 m, and Beam B is fully formed at 15 m, and BOTH are measured at 7.5 M and back calculated to 1 m (cd), then, Beam A's cd number might be accurate, and Beam B's cd number might be lower than it really is.

If both are measured at 7.5 m, and Beam A is fully formed at 10 M, and Beam B is fully formed at 15 M, BOTH cd will be lower than they really are, but NOT necessary by the same amount...or with one 33% less, etc.

The DEGREE of beam formation is NOT necessarily the same, as every beam has its own collimation formation pattern. So, you really CAN'T compare the cd of all of them at 7.5 M UNLESS they ALL form NO FARTHER AWAY THAN THAT.

Well, you can COMPARE them all you want, its the conclusions you'd draw that would be suspect if expecting too fine a differentiation between lights.

The problem is, you'd need to know the cd to know if the light was more, or less, likely to NEED more distance, and, ironically, that's what you're trying to find in the first place.

If there's ONLY 7.5 m max ROOM to measure, ok, its a limiting factor...but try not to over weigh the results when comparing hard throwers to each other unless you DO KNOW the minimum beam formation distance.

Vinh - Can you make a pole/tall mount, to raise the light, or detector, up to, to shine from a longer range, and get a long enough distance to be universally applicable?

You only need the center of the hot spot/max lux spot to measure, the rest doesn't affect the cd.

That means you can shine it through your front window, and out a back window, to a fence in the backyard, etc....if you have a straight line of sight, for example.

:devil:

A flagpole type arrangement with a clamp, etc...where you hoist up the flashlight so it points down at your detector, can also work, off your roof, etc, whatever gets you as far as possible.

There is not really a "too far" range issue...once its "far enough", the cd stays the same. Too CLOSE is the only issue to worry about.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that only way to be certain that your measuring distance is far enough, is to take measurements farther & father out, while back calculating the lux at 1 meter. When that calculated value repeats itself, then you are far enough for that light.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I believe that only way to be certain that your measuring distance is far enough, is to take measurements farther & father out, while back calculating the lux at 1 meter. When that calculated value repeats itself, then you are far enough for that light.

That is 100% correct.

:D