Veleno Designs E-Series Tower Dropin Review

jslappa

Enlightened
Kuku427 (steve ku) is also the guy who brought us a Ti D10 and Ti EX10 that are extremely coveted here. I can vouch for him, as I imagine dozens more can too. These pills started out finned, and after thoughtfully listening to our suggestions, they are now solid brass.

MikeyT

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a KX2 conversion head for my E2D - now I'm thinking one of these drop-in's would have been a better option. I'll see how I like the KX2 but I suspect I'll be buying one of these as well.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used my single level drop in with an e1 body on my key ring since I received it. (My 5-year old McGizmo mechanical 2-level twistie tailcap has lanyard holes for the Key Ring.)

My 3 other e-series incandescent heads are all the original teardrop type with a flat plane bulb opening that doesn't fit these drop-ins. At one point KuKu was contemplating either making an entire e-head or a second version of the drop-in that would fit the original tear-drop heads.

Any new product introductions likely on this front?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
with ku, possibilities are endless. seems he has the ability to bring a product to market extremely quickly.

KuKu427

Enlightened
I've used my single level drop in with an e1 body on my key ring since I received it. (My 5-year old McGizmo mechanical 2-level twistie tailcap has lanyard holes for the Key Ring.)

My 3 other e-series incandescent heads are all the original teardrop type with a flat plane bulb opening that doesn't fit these drop-ins. At one point KuKu was contemplating either making an entire e-head or a second version of the drop-in that would fit the original tear-drop heads.

They're actually both in the works. Teardrop drop-ins should be available soon.

Thanks for all the support guys! lovecpf

prime77

Enlightened
Any updates on when these will become available. I can't seem to get on the website.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
writing from the airport...
unfortunately, the host that does both my website and velenodesigns is having routing problems with their isp. they are trying to get the situation resolved again.

Arcus Diabolus

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know the output at medium and low modes? and the runtimes?

This might just be the what I'm looking for! Neutral emitter, nice output and I don't have to change the way my E2D looks! Now my only problem is how to get one.

nmr

Newly Enlightened
OK, I am a little slow in this arena...

If I have a completely stock old E2e (only has the momentary on pushbutton tailcap that you twist for constant on)....what do I need to purchase from Veleno?

How do the multiple modes work? Do I need to buy a new tailcap? Which module should I buy? Does it truly "drop in" if I simply unscrew the head, or do I have to do some modding?

Help me with some step by step instructions on how to update by E2e so I will actually use it....

Edited to add: I just realized my E2e has the teardrop bezel....what does that mean to me?

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
You have the old style bezel so you will have to get the tower that fits it.(if he has any left)

It is 100% a "drop-in", turn the bezel upside down the incan bulb falls out, carefully (do not knock the dome off the led) slide the tower in.

You can switch modes with your tailcap just like a clicky. Press and release, press release, will change modes. It has memory so when you get the mode you want either twist on while holding or release and wait a few seconds and twist on for that particular mode.

It is all simple and straight forward.

nmr

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the info!

I notice from the website that the teardrop bezel is available, but is not in the drop down list...does anyone know the cost of that option?

Also, if I wanted a "click for constant on" tailcap, where would I look to buy one from? I have the "gunmetal grey" color I believe.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

nmr

Newly Enlightened

I happen to have the teardrop style also....his website claims they are available for the older teardrop style....am I missing something? Is there another reason these may not work on my old E2e?

notsofast

Enlightened
He did make a drop-in that fit the old style bezel....he may be out of them. Send him an email and ask. I have a clicky tailcap I will sell you PM me if you are interested.

KuKu427

Enlightened
The teardrop style heads have a slightly different structure than the new ones. Since I try to get as much contact between the module and the head as I can, there are two styles of drop ins.
I believe you can also screw in a McClicky into you tailcap. Please email me if you want that too.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicest drop-in I've seen! Any more info on the heads they have for the EX10/D10?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome drop-in for the E-series incan lights. I got mine yesterday. Can't decide if I want to run it in my new E1e or my old E2 (with the E1e head). Have been trying both out. 16340 in the E1e and 17670 in the E2. I think it will live in the E2 with a 17670 for a while.

Great useful beam (very wide and bright spill with a well defined central spot as well... you get pretty good throw with a room filling spill.)

Quick ceiling-bounce output test puts it neck and neck with a Quark AA XP-E R2 and Quark 123x2 XP-E R2 (all three running on a single 4.2v li-ion.)

Steve is doing great things in the illumination world!

Last edited:

prime77

Enlightened
I got mine today and am really pleased with it. Really well put together and packaged really nice. Fits my E2E and E2D head like a glove. Just what every E-series fan has been dreaming for. The beam has lots of spill with a nice hotspot. Great work Steve. I for one am a happy customer.

035-11.jpg

026-10.jpg

017-15.jpg

009-14.jpg

spectre3

Newly Enlightened
I can't get the order to go through. prompt says something about paypal not recognizing my card. I'm not paying with paypal though. any help?