Visiting Houston TX and the Gulf Coast - Any advice?

Popsiclestix

Newly Enlightened
While you're down in the Galveston area, (Moody Gardens, IMAX) don't forget to visit Kemah too.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Has anyone got an opinion on the Texas Land & Cattle Steak House chain? There is one near where we are staying the first night.... I'm getting excited - can you tell? Only four days now!

Meganoggin

Enlightened
**UPDATE**

Well it looks like our flights will be cancelled because of the volcanic ash in the atmosphere :mecry::mecry:

Thanks to everyone who gave us some great advice. You have made us more determined to visit Texas. It will be later in the year now, so please keep posting your tips.

Pete.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Major bummer :thumbsdow

Any chance you can catch a later flight ?

We have a window until Monday to get a flight out.... It looks like it will be a slim to no chance of getting off.

Thanks for thinking of us Wai - how are you getting on? Any more wild M@g mods?

Pete.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
then travelling down to Galveston and the along the coast to Corpus Christi.

If I ever step foot in Corpus, the very first place I'm headed to is Seaside Memorial to pay my respects to one hell of a nice and humble human being.

14syz5w.jpg

Meganoggin

Enlightened
** UPDATE II **

Well - we have missed chance to fly out, but we are trying to book for a flight later in the year - I can't let all your good advice go to waste can I?

We are hoping to get over in September, so please keep the wisdom rolling in!

@ Lit up - I had not heard about Selena... I did some checking and her story is tragic, I will try to listen to some of her music before we get to Corpus Christi, thanks.

Pete.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Lit up - I had not heard about Selena... I did some checking and her story is tragic, I will try to listen to some of her music before we get to Corpus Christi, thanks.

y/w.

Here's a few clips of her just being her silly self.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f3ReECcfcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTzBYI3OmmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyMwlrTuP00

I think Keith Thomas (music producer) in this vid is probably the best testament to how genuine she was. He barely got to know her as he only worked on a couple songs for her English album right before she was murdered, but you can see him start to get choked up talking about that time years later after the fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llW7iXXAlLE

Just ask in Corpus, everyone can tell you all the sites like the Family's museum they have for her, her statue (Midora La Flor) and her boutique. Odds are you might see her sister Suzette there at the boutique and her Dad Abraham at the museum.

They also did a movie about her. Jennifer Lopez plays the role of her.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Thanx Lit Up - I am looking forward to checking out the sights in Corpus. We should be there mid September... volcano permitting!

Cheers - Pete.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Well WooHoo - by this time tomorrow we will be in Houston.

I didn't want to jinx our trip by posting too soon, like last time.

So if you have any more tips or events please post 'em, we will be checking in every day!

I will update with our travels as we go along - a travelogue if you will ;)

Luminocity

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the Lonestar State! A visit here will not be complete without sampling some legendary Texas music and one of our favorite local Blues artists is Hamilton Loomis. He puts on an incredible show and he happens to be performing in our local area next weekend.

He will be performing at Sambuca in downtown Houston next Saturday evening (9/18). Sambuca is a nice place to eat too.

Hamilton's schedule is on his website (hamiltonloomis.com).

You can check out some videos of his performances on Youtube.

He tours a lot and will be performing in the UK in November, so if you like him, you can bring some friends and see him again.

Enjoy your time in Texas!

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Well.... we're here and Texas is great! I have had my first propper Texas steak and Mrs Noggin has gone crazy shopping at Katy Mills and San Marcos outlets.

Got an Icon Rogue from Radio Shack for a bargain $19.99 :devil:

Thanks for the tips Luminocity, we will check it out.

Tomorrow we are off to Corpus Christie - storm Hermione permitting.....

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
While in Corpus, one cool attraction is the USS Lexington. It is a decommissioned US aircraft carrier open for tour. Can go most anywhere if I recall. Definitely worth it.
They have all sorts of old aircraft on the deck and below deck.

When I was in scouts, we got to actually stay on board it for a night, sleeping in the same bunks they did back when it was commissioned. Very cool.

Imon

Enlightened
I live in the DFW area but I go to Houston a few times a year because I have family down there. I remember when I was young I used to go to the LBJ Space Center all the time and I loved it. Perhaps you don't have dreams of becoming an astronaut one day but you might enjoy a visit :)

Houston also has a lot of nice restaurants! There are many nice ones in the Houston Chinatown. Also Houston has many good soul food and Cajun restaurants ... I've been to many but I can never remember the names - sorry :sigh: Also like AlexGT said Fry's Electronics is a nice place to visit and they usually have a fair selection of flashlights (that's what's important right?). Additionally, Bass Pro Shop and Academy Sports and Outdoors will have lots of outdoor gear and importantly - flashlights. I know Bass Pro Shop usually carries Surefires.

Lastly :devil:.....
As I use to work in a gun shop, guns are a part of my life and I think a big part of the American culture. Here in the DFW area there are many places you can go and rent guns to shoot (as long as you're over 21) :xyxgun: I'm sure Houston isn't much different.
If this isn't your things that's totally understandable ... but sometimes you just have to live a little :naughty:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
I used to shoot IPSC and combat handgun before our helpful government banned guns :thumbsdow so I am planning a visit to a range....

@ Bob - the Lexington visit is planned for tomorrow or Thursday :devil:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
The trip to the USS Lexington was fantastic, it gives a real taste of what life was like for the sailors and aircrew. But, man was it hot and humid in some of the compartments.

Tomorrow we are off on a boat trip to bother some dolphins :duh2:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Last night in Texas, just watched the Astros win against the Reds. Had another great steak dinner and we are reflecting on our trip.

The verdict? Texas is a fantastic place to visit, we have had a great time, all thanks to the advice found here lovecpf

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, holy crap, I was at the game too last night. I always try to make it Friday for the fireworks. Did you stick around for them? Was a good show. Where were your seats? We were on first row, right field, near our bullpen. Hunter Pence made a catch at the wall in the 7th inning, and you can clearly see us only 5 feet away in the web highlights. Way cool. Minus 10 seconds of fame for me. :)

Glad you enjoyed Houston and our Great state of Texas! Come back soon!
-Cameron

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meganoggin - I can only stare at my attempt at meatloaf in front of me ( and the family!) and wish we were all over there with you two. Sounds fabulous!

Please overindulge in all things, just like I'd do! Have yet another steak dinner and reflect on how easy it may be to buy Surefire over there!

See you back in blighty for another meet later in the year!!