Vote - What is your favorite form factor?

yifu

Enlightened
AAAs or smaller (10180/10280 etc) are useless for EDC as they have bad runtime/brightness. A 14500/AA is ok but i tend to stick to 18650 for now as the benefits are very clear, brighter, more runtime, more current capacity/flexibility at a size that's only a bit bigger. Not to the mention the versatility of the P60 format.

dj:litestick

Newly Enlightened
Always been single CR123 for me as EDC, even when on duty as back-up. For on duty I've always enjoyed the 3D mags with a holsterd 2xCR123. ...so single celled for EDC form factor.

chtaube

Newly Enlightened
My favorite form factor is
(1) 1x CR123A for everything where size matters (Fenix P1D, P2D, Zebralight H31w) and
(2) 1x 18650 for everything which must be brighter or have a longer running time (Olight M21, Zebralight SC600w).

I still have some AA-based flashlights but I rarely use them anymore. (Fenix L2D, TK20, TK40, and a 2AA LED Maglite)

Luxe

Newly Enlightened
Favorite hands down has to be AAA. I love being able to fit a light in my jeans coin pocket. Makes it unobtrusive no one notices my EDC :)

yifu

Enlightened
Favorite hands down has to be AAA. I love being able to fit a light in my jeans coin pocket. Makes it unobtrusive no one notices my EDC :)
Then it's not going to be very useful in terms of output or runtime or throw. 20 lumens is pretty useless when you do need a light. A direct drive light on li-on AAAs (10440) is ok for output but the runtime is not going to be very useful. A small form factor 18650 (SC600 at 750 lumens) that fits in a tight jean pocket or a larger 18650 (6P/C2 etc) that goes into a bag is far more useful. AAAs are good as a keychain light though.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I tend to agree. :welcome:
20 lumens is pretty useless when you do need a light.
Depends on the application. 20 lumens is plenty for most of what I need a light for.
A small form factor 18650 (SC600 at 750 lumens) that fits in a tight jean pocket or a larger 18650 (6P/C2 etc) that goes into a bag is far more useful. AAAs are good as a keychain light though.
This thread is about peoples' favorite form factor, rather than a discussion of what is more useful, because it is always relative to the user.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...20 lumens is pretty useless when you do need a light...
Well, I'm a camper that uses lights continuously at night. I like getting my eyes into night vision mode and keeping them there. 95% of my L/M/H usage happens to be 0.2/4/19 lumens, and skewed toward the lower end. Then again, I'm not doing any technical hiking or climbing after the sun goes down - just relaxing and general camp site tasks. A weeks camping trip on 1xAA is no problem.

C-channel

Newly Enlightened
I currently like 2AA lights mostly. Using GP recyko as its easy to get here. Klarus P2a, mag light 2aa for night, 4sevens mini AA2 for EDC.

Follow by 1 x 18650.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E-series 2x123 lights with long clip, and McTC tailcap, whether it's an E2e, E2L, E2DL, or E2? body with Malkoff VME bezel. Since I got rid of most of my stuff, and lost my heavily modded E2L, I only actually have the E2DL and an E2DL body/VME bezel combo(with McTC tails) now. I started with an E2e, then the original KL1, then KL1 mods, the KL4 after 5watt LSs came out, and even Aleph1-3 heads on Aleph and E series bodies with 3 and 5w pills, then the E2L and E2DL modded with neutral Crees.
Aleph 2 and 3 heads, and E2C + Z44 and P60 dropins, etc. were too unwieldy and/or unbalanced, especially for clipping in a pocket(hahaha, especially with a cell extender, E2C and KT2 turbohead-there was no end to what you could do with these things!), but all the standard size heads...love 'em.

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
I want something I can handle, that feel substantial in the hand.

I like the 2AA (in series) form factor fine. It long enough and easy to hold while doing something. With LED technology it offers more juice than it used to and over 200 lumens, which is plenty. And it's not so small that you'd lose it.

But that's too long for a pocket... 3AAA in a battery carrier (in parallel) works fine for my pockets but other people might think it's too big and want something smaller.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your favorite form factor?

In terms of pure ergonomics, best size/shape: 2xcr123a
Practicality, efficiency, convenience, economy: 1xAA
Anything smaller: a little TOO small.

hkneoh

Newly Enlightened
To me one 18650 is the way to go. Large enough to comfortably fit in the palm of your hand, but compact enough for pocket storage. Besides, the barrel is susually sutiable to fit into a rail mount.

Richub

Enlightened
My preferences are:

#1: Single 18650. - Compact and powerful.
#2: 2xAA. - The perfect holiday light.
#3: Single AAA. - Keychain or jeans pocket lights.
#4: 2x 18650. - Still not too big, will fit in a jacket/coat pocket. Almost insanely powerful. ;)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is a favorite form factor depends a lot on the situation!

If you want 80 lumens for 12 hours with a NiMH battery config., the 3xC works well. A 2xD formfactor can actually also work.

If you want 500-600 lumens with 4-5 hour runtime, the 3x18650 works great. If you can live with half+ the runtime, you could do it with 2x18650.

If you want 1,100 lumens and can live with a 1.25 hour runtime, the 2x18500 formfactor is nice and versatile. You can also use it with a bigger reflector in a 3xC123A to get big throw.

If you are inside working with normal office type lighting, and you want a very small EDC type light, the 1xAAA nowadays is a great light.

If you are traveling and weight and size and battery availability and versatility are important, you go with the 1xAA and 1x17500 formfactor.

If you are outdoors and want a medium sized flashlight, the 2xC123A or 1x18650 (or both) formfactor is quite versatile, especially with a 2 mode setup (max blast plus very efficient useable light).

If you need to be hundreds of feet below water and want a locator light (Glo-Toob), it's a 1xC123A, cylindrical shape.

So what is the favorite? If you want to weigh by use time, you probably use the indoors back-up EDC 1xAAA the most, followed maybe by the outdoors 2xC123A or 1x18650, followed by the travel 1xAA or 1x17500, followed by the big throw 3xC123A or big lumen 2x18500, followed by the long runtime (power outage!) excellent lumen 2x18650 and 3x18650 or even 3xC formfactors.

The old stand-by's like the 3xD (or even more than 3 xD) Maglite lights are obsolete. Maybe the 2xAA is also quite versatile for indoors/outdoors uses and could substitute for the 2xC123A or 1x18650 formfactors.

Then various specialty lights at pretty small rates of useage.

So, all in all, "favorite" formfactor is not a very revealing category, until you link it to use and time of use...

Oh, one more thing, how do these fit into your hand?

Basically, without disability, the human hand can easily work with the 1xAAA, the 3x18650, and everything in between (we worked with 3xD, 4xD, etc., before, didn't we?). In terms of natural fit, probably the 2xAA and 2xC123A are the most natural.

One formfactor that, strangely, does not appear in the above list I just realized, is the 1xC123A (putting the specialized Glo-Toob aside)! I guess it tries to do everything so really it gets beat in every category by other lights. You don't really need it indoors, since a 1xAAA can do the job with much less bulk and weight. Outdoors it is not quite enough, the 1.25" reflector is a kind of minimum. Also the power and versatility of the 2xC123A or 1x18650 also outcompete the 1xC123A outdoors. On travel, the 1xAA and 1x17500 is superior and more versatile.

In a way the 1xC123A is a dilettante's favorite light because it seems to show sophistication and one-light-that-can-do-it-all-ism, but deep down, it does not!

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
3xCR123 in the hand
1xAAA in the pocket

1xCR123 is probably my least favorite form factor unless the body is on the long side; the SureFire L1, for instance.

Latest posts