What does a well worn Titanium EDC light look like?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Titanium EDC light how they hold up

Titanium lights are only as good as there internal electronics.
I have had one fail in the first 3 months of use. Circuit falure

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened

it got kicked out of my pocket due to crunchy titanium threads. (mini quark Ti to aluminum preon1)

scout24

Flashaholic

Here are a couple pictures of my Haiku XP-G that were taken yesterday, coincidentally... We won't discuss why. I'm a mechanic by trade, this light has been clipped inside my left front pocket for almost 2 1/2 years, both at work and on my own time. Basically, whenever I'm wearing something with pockets. It's been dropped, slid across concrete, blacktop, knocked over while tailstanding, had tools dropped on it, been covered in grease, grime, oil, dirt, mud, you name it. I've beat the hell out of this light... I've repeatedly caught the clip on things, banged into stuff with it clipped in my pocket, etc. It's had a hard life, IMHO, for an EDC light. I had to get the lighting right to pick up these marks, from arm's length 90% of them are not noticeable. I've never steel wooled it, just disassembly and clean with windex. Yesterday it got a new McClicky switch and o-ring where the head goes on the body, not because it needed either, but I was in a good mood. :) It seems to hold up pretty well...

P1020153.jpg

P1020154.jpg

P1020155.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned

it got kicked out of my pocket due to crunchy titanium threads. (mini quark Ti to aluminum preon1)
That's because the Ti Quark Mini was a cheap POS titanium light. Sorry to be blunt, but that's how it is. The Ti Quark Mini's were made from a metal with special engineering requirements, none of which were applied to the special-edition Ti lights, because the designs were exact duplicates of their aluminum lights.

I know it'll sound hoighty-toighty to say so, but you have to get something at least resembling a McGizmo in construction quality before you really know what it's like to have a good titanium light. It's just not a metal that reacts well to cheap manufacturing processes.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the Ti lights I carry. First up, a comparison between a Ti Aeon sitting in my safe vs. a Ti Aeon I've been EDCing for nearly two years:

CIMG5015a.png

Next, a picture of the Jetbeam TC-R2 I've also been EDCing for nearly two years, vs. a couple shelf queens: (TC-R2 is on the right)

CIMG5213b.png

Here's another picture of the Ti Aeon, super-closeup, having been smacked around in a pocket with steel tools since the day I bought it:

CIMG4972a.png

EDIT: Oh, and here's a picture of a McGizmo Sapphire that also rattles around in a pocket full of metal bits, including a piece of bike chain that I fiddle with when I'm bored:

CIMG5183c.png

Titanium wears well.

Last edited:

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
Anyway, here's a couple pics of the Ti lights I carry. First up, a comparison between a Ti Aeon sitting in my safe vs. a Ti Aeon I've been EDCing for nearly two years:

CIMG5015a.png

Next, a picture of the Jetbeam TC-R2 I've also been EDCing for nearly two years, vs. a couple shelf queens: (TC-R2 is on the right)

CIMG5213b.png

Here's another picture of the Ti Aeon, super-closeup, having been smacked around in a pocket with steel tools since the day I bought it:

CIMG4972a.png

EDIT: Oh, and here's a picture of a McGizmo Sapphire that also rattles around in a pocket full of metal bits, including a piece of bike chain that I fiddle with when I'm bored:

CIMG5183c.png

Titanium wears well.

Nice lights. How's the sunwayman?

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a pic of my SPY 007 after a year of EDC. It was carried in AOTH holsters only, never in my pocket. It shows little to no wear :thumbsup:

p1050717z.jpg

yliu

Enlightened

I don't know what kind of titanium alloy are ti light made out of, but titanium should be harder than the T6 Aluminum alloy. But on aluminum lights there are also anodizing protecting the light from scratches.

So ti lights should be less prone to denting from drops.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Aeon has been around my neck for at least a year and a half now, and still looks like new.

My SWM V10R TI has a bunch of fine scratches around the head from where it has been drawn and replaced in a Kydex holster - I'm pretty sure the scratches would disappear with a bit of a polish or steel wool

I have been carrying an Atwood TI cookie wrench in my pocket for years, It's opened countless bottles of beer, and only has a few small marks from where it's been dropped on bitumen.

TI wears pretty nicely, and it doesn't wear through an anodizing coating and look beaten like Aluminium does

ChrisAg

Newly Enlightened
Great thread! I've carried a Raw Ti everyday for the past two years and it still looks great. I think Ti holds up well as an EDC.

scout24

Flashaholic
^^^ What nbp said... :) Some windex and a towel every now and then to clean them, but my lights wouldn't know polishing if it hit them over the head...

nbp

Flashaholic
Tried to get some pics of the wear on my Haiku and Mule, but it was almost impossible. These two have been clipped next to one another on my pocket every day, banging and rubbing against each other for a year now. Barely any wear, mostly just little surface scratches and marks. Clips take the most abuse.

img0666ir.jpg

img0662px.jpg

img0665ib.jpg

img0663cx.jpg

img0670yt.jpg

img0669w.jpg

img0667um.jpg

cy

Flashaholic
from 2012 when I stopped EDC both .. original PD is still going strong, but Titan died

titan%20lanyard4.JPG

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you contact Surefire about the Titan? I would definitely look into getting a resolution as far as warrantee goes...especially when you factor in the price of that puppy! :faint:

cy

Flashaholic
Did you contact Surefire about the Titan? I would definitely look into getting a resolution as far as warrantee goes...especially when you factor in the price of that puppy! :faint:

nope .. still have not sent it in .. spoke with Surefire who issued a RA number immediately.
flashlights just have not been top of my to do list lately. used to be that was one of my main activities ...
like anything when you do it a LOT .. burnout does happen ..

my posts counts keeps on going down .. had almost 11k posts when I stopped being active.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
...my posts counts keeps on going down .. had almost 11k posts when I stopped being active.

Mine have gone down too. Remember that big CPF crash? I've lost some since then too. Not really important to me, and I keep posting away. Good to see you posting more.

Bill