What is the consensus here regarding Streamlight in general and the Protac 2L-X in

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put one of the older protac hL through its paces then gave it to my brother in law who is an officer. Still running strong for years.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have written a lot over the years here regarding Streamlight. Yes Surefire was great but these days their 5 lumens low and 600 lumens high makes me not buy their lights anymore. Sad to say SF lights are no longer geared toward consumer, either police, military, etc

So Streamlight has been a substitute for many years for me. I have at least half a dozen of their lights. They are all dependable and they work great. Customer service has been outstanding for the two lights that needed repair, battery leak and the second mostly my fault.

The Propolymer series is as good as it gets a great replacement for the long departed SF G2.

The Sidewinder and Siege AA and Bandit are outstanding lights.

I wish Scorpion and TL2 would upgrade the led specs to a low/high interface option and something like 50 low and 400 high.

I highly recommend Streamlight as they are budget friendly and very dependable.

1Yorick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply . By the way , does your moniker refer to the marine corps or the sea ?

I have written a lot over the years here regarding Streamlight. Yes Surefire was great but these days their 5 lumens low and 600 lumens high makes me not buy their lights anymore. Sad to say SF lights are no longer geared toward consumer, either police, military, etc

So Streamlight has been a substitute for many years for me. I have at least half a dozen of their lights. They are all dependable and they work great. Customer service has been outstanding for the two lights that needed repair, battery leak and the second mostly my fault.

The Propolymer series is as good as it gets a great replacement for the long departed SF G2.

The Sidewinder and Siege AA and Bandit are outstanding lights.

I wish Scorpion and TL2 would upgrade the led specs to a low/high interface option and something like 50 low and 400 high.

I highly recommend Streamlight as they are budget friendly and very dependable.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I like the 2L-X . Do you think that I would like the HL-X ? Where would be the best place to buy it online ?

I hate to say it, but many of the places I used to buy from years ago as a member of these forums have either gone out of business, or become so unreliable that I now refuse to use them and no longer recommend them. One of the older places that is still reliable is Brightguy.com

Highly recommended. Generally a good selection of flashlights and accessories. Especially Streamlight. One site that has always been highly reliable for me is bhphotovideo.com (B&H). HUGE store in Manhattan. Handful of city blocks from Macy's on 34th street here in New York City. Lights, optics of every kind imaginable (especially high-end ones), cameras, video recording equipment. I'm talking high-end stuff that you'd expect true professionals to use. Items that you'd literally not find in any other Brick & Mortar store. Their web store is incredibly reliable! So, I have to recommend it. Though, only use it if you can't find something elsewhere. Unless an item is on Clearance, prices are very overinflated.

For example, Bright Guy has the hand-held version of the HL-X for just under $79 if you have your own rechargeable 18650 cells. B&H has the same light for $135. So yeah, try Bright Guy, first.

As for the light itself, I decided against it for two reasons as an EDC hand-held:
One, the head is considerably wider than the 2L-X. Yes, the HL-X has a pocket-carry clip; but I personally think a holster would be more appropriate due to the size of the head. Two, except on a rifle used exclusively outdoors, 1000 lumens is actually too much light for most applications. Even outdoors, I'm completely satisfied with the skinnier package of the 2L-X. And since this is my main EDC light that could be called upon to use indoors, 1000 lumens would just be too much. That amount of light bouncing off the walls and back at your eyes is just not going to be fun to look at when it hits you.

As far as dependability goes, Yes; just as good as SureFire in that regard. Though most SureFire models are more durable than certain Streamlight models. Though we're talking tank-like overkill in that regard. Streamlights tend to be quite durable. bykfixer is spot-on though regarding the difference in their finish, with regards to comparable metal models. But when you buy a light to actually carry and use, it's a minor issue.

I am quite a bit surprised though that marinemaster received excellent custom service from Streamlight. That has traditionally been the biggest issue with the company. Though perhaps SL is working to change that.

Happy Holidays. :santa:

1Yorick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your comments . Have a happy and safe new year .

I hate to say it, but many of the places I used to buy from years ago as a member of these forums have either gone out of business, or become so unreliable that I now refuse to use them and no longer recommend them. One of the older places that is still reliable is Brightguy.com

Highly recommended. Generally a good selection of flashlights and accessories. Especially Streamlight. One site that has always been highly reliable for me is bhphotovideo.com (B&H). HUGE store in Manhattan. Handful of city blocks from Macy's on 34th street here in New York City. Lights, optics of every kind imaginable (especially high-end ones), cameras, video recording equipment. I'm talking high-end stuff that you'd expect true professionals to use. Items that you'd literally not find in any other Brick & Mortar store. Their web store is incredibly reliable! So, I have to recommend it. Though, only use it if you can't find something elsewhere. Unless an item is on Clearance, prices are very overinflated.

For example, Bright Guy has the hand-held version of the HL-X for just under $79 if you have your own rechargeable 18650 cells. B&H has the same light for $135. So yeah, try Bright Guy, first.

As for the light itself, I decided against it for two reasons as an EDC hand-held:
One, the head is considerably wider than the 2L-X. Yes, the HL-X has a pocket-carry clip; but I personally think a holster would be more appropriate due to the size of the head. Two, except on a rifle used exclusively outdoors, 1000 lumens is actually too much light for most applications. Even outdoors, I'm completely satisfied with the skinnier package of the 2L-X. And since this is my main EDC light that could be called upon to use indoors, 1000 lumens would just be too much. That amount of light bouncing off the walls and back at your eyes is just not going to be fun to look at when it hits you.

As far as dependability goes, Yes; just as good as SureFire in that regard. Though most SureFire models are more durable than certain Streamlight models. Though we're talking tank-like overkill in that regard. Streamlights tend to be quite durable. bykfixer is spot-on though regarding the difference in their finish, with regards to comparable metal models. But when you buy a light to actually carry and use, it's a minor issue.

I am quite a bit surprised though that marinemaster received excellent custom service from Streamlight. That has traditionally been the biggest issue with the company. Though perhaps SL is working to change that.

Happy Holidays. :santa:

davemp

Newly Enlightened
Best streamlight post I've seen in a long time. I own the 2L-X, the HL-X, and the 1L-AA. All good lights....Dave

bykfixer

Flashaholic
ProTac HL (650), Stingers, Kel-Lite made 2, 3 and 5 D sized, numerous Microstreams, ProTac 1aaa, ProTac 1L (duel fuel), ProTac EMS, various output, Stylus Pro's, Stylus Pro Reach, early Stylus (2xaaaa), Incan Keymates, Incan PocketMates, LED KeyMates, Nano's, numerous PolyTacs (275 lumen), the ProTac HL4, TL2 incan, TL2 shockproof, various output TL2 LED's, Strions of varying outputs, Scorpion HL (750), and one incan with the old logo with a rotating head I've yet to find out the model name of have all been flawless for me.

I have an early SL20 I've yet to find parts for so I don't count that one.

Streamlight does not get talked about a lot here, but overall when folks speak of them it's usually positive. They quietly go about inovating lighting tools without much fanfare, much like another manufacturer who remains under the radar called Pelican.

Almost forgot the Sidewinder Rescue. Molle wearable swivel head IR, white, red or green little 2xAA military light.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that LED technology has improved to the point where an "under-driven" LED produces more light than I typically need, heat dissipation is no longer a concern for me. As such, I've become more interested in polymer lights since they feel better in the hand and don't accumulate nicks and dents like metal lights do.

The Streamlight Polytac is one of the few quality polymer lights that I'm aware of. I've only had mine a short time, but so far I like it a lot. I'm really surprised that more people aren't talking about it. It really seems like it should be vastly more popular.

--flatline

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The PWM in the previous version (275 lumen) made them unpopular with the CPF crowd. It's how I ended up with a few that were hardly used at fire sale prices from the WTS section here.

As much as I like the nitolon SureFires the PolyTac is a very under rated lighting tool in my view.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm normally rather sensitive to and intolerant of PWM, but I do not detect any in the Low or Medium of my Polytac. Perhaps the newer 3-level Polytac no longer uses PWM?

My Polytac came in packaging that indicated that it was the 2-level 275L/14L model, but it very clearly has 3 output levels. The Streamlight website describes the current Polytac as 600/260/35L. The Medium and Low levels on my Polytac line up with that pretty well. 600 seems a bit optimistic for the High level, but i don't have an objective way to measure it.

--flatline

I have several as weapons lights. LE and Military depend on these lights in life and death situations. Very dependable, and wide range of value (cost), so anyone can own one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Now that LED technology has improved to the point where an "under-driven" LED produces more light than I typically need, heat dissipation is no longer a concern for me. As such, I've become more interested in polymer lights since they feel better in the hand and don't accumulate nicks and dents like metal lights do.

The Streamlight Polytac is one of the few quality polymer lights that I'm aware of. I've only had mine a short time, but so far I like it a lot. I'm really surprised that more people aren't talking about it. It really seems like it should be vastly more popular.

--flatline

It should be. But once again, it looks as though Streamlight's marketing Dept. is one older individual sitting in what used to be a small supply closet with a door that says "Marketing" on it. And if SL does have a true marketing department, Oh! They are soooo overpaid. That, and the earlier PWM issue already mentioned.

Another issue might be that when SureFire first switched to LEDs for their most popular incandescent lights, there were huge overheating issues with their LED version of their G2 model. The polymer head was fine for an incandescent bulb. But not for the LEDs. So SureFire corrected that issue by switching to aluminum heads on the G2 polymer body.

Yet, with their most modern polymer lights that are no slouches in the output department; SL has somehow gotten them not to overheat with polymer heads?? Something doesn't seem quite right. So I think that many CPFers are aware of Streamlight's latest polymer offerings, but are hesitant to get one for themselves. I do like the fact that their polymer lights come with carry clips. I recently picked up a yellow SureFire G2x Pro that was on sale for a sweet discount. Also made sure to go to a Police/Security warehouse online shop I've bought from before, and ordered an inexpensive nylon open top & bottom belt holster for my G2x.

Honestly, even with an aluminum head on it, the light is far from too heavy to accommodate a carry clip if it was a sturdy design.

Last edited: