What is the consensus here regarding Streamlight in general and the Protac 2L-X in

Decableguy2000

Newly Enlightened
Well my 2L-x finally showed up today. I ordered it with the USB battery. While these are not the highest capacity, I trust Streamlight to market a good product. I have read that these dual fuel lights don't work with all 18650s. I can vouch for this. Both the HL-X and 2L-x will not work with 18650 that came with my Illumagear hard hat light. They do work with the Nightcore NL1834. They pocket clip is tight and rides nice in my pocket, wasn't noticeable while driving are wearing a fall protection body harness. This will be my EDC light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Monocrom - Thank you very much for taking the time to reply a detailed information as to why you bought two Protac 2L-X. I got mine earlier this month and enjoy the 3 different modes available. Like the Low/High for indoor use and the High/Strobe/Low for outdoors. Also, bought the little brother - Protrac 1L-1AA as well. Can't be happier. Thanks to you for resurrecting this thread. :rock: Thinking of getting the nitron version next but need to save first.

I remember a post about you recommending getting the 18650 battery case from Countycomm for easy carry in case the battery runs out. Do you rotate the 18650 batteries meaning if the battery in the flashlight runs out, you use the one in storage and rotate or the second one is only used if you need it? Trying to understand if it's more practical to use 2 batteries in rotation vs just use 1 battery and recharge when the battery is getting low. Are you using the usb rechargeable 18650 from Streamlight?

You're Welcome. I'm glad I could help. And yes, I bought 2 of Streamlight's USB 18650 batteries. You put one in the light. The other in the County Comm delrin battery-carrier. Attach a small split-ring to the top of it, then a small carabiner clip to that. You can carry the spare battery clipped to a belt loop.

Use the 18650 in the light. Once the battery runs out of juice, put it in the battery-carrier. Put the cell that was in the carrier, inside the light. When you get a chance, charge up the dead battery and put it back in the carrier. Rotate between them that way. You'll only have to keep track of the cell inside the carrier. Whether or not it's charged up. But this method means you always have a charged 18650 inside the light.

Last edited:

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
I will throw in my piece. I have had 2 streamlights. one got sold and a friend still uses it after 5 years. and the other is a keychain light a family member now uses and after 6 years of keychain tumbling is still perfectly functional.
very good durability.

miyagi

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Sir! Will do as suggested. It makes sense that you have a charged up cell ready. Always 2 in rotation. Cheers! :twothumbs

You're Welcome. I'm glad I could help. And yes, I bought 2 of Streamlight's USB 18650 batteries. You put one in the light. The other in the County Comm delrin battery-carrier. Attach a small split-ring to the top of it, then a small carabiner clip to that. You can carry the spare battery clipped to a belt loop.

Use the 18650 in the light. Once the battery runs out of juice, put it in the battery-carrier. Put the cell that was in the carrier, inside the light. When you get a chance, charge up the dead battery and put it back in the carrier. Rotate between them that way. You'll only have to keep track of the cell inside the carrier. Whether or not it's charged up. But this method means you always have a charged 18650 inside the light.

scout24

Flashaholic
I picked up a tan PolytacX last week. It' a solid, seemingly well made light. Decent clip, good click switch. There is a bit of green in the beam up close on a white wall, but even across the room you don't see it. It's a smooth reflector, but a really nice beam. Not a ring in sight, and the emitter is well centered. The ten tap programming is quick and easy, and there is no PWM!

Last edited: