What is the consensus here regarding Streamlight in general and the Protac 2L-X in

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The data sheet on streamlight's website shows that High starts at 600L and quickly descends to about 300L. Maybe that's the sole explanation. Is it possible that 300L or less doesn't create enough heat to be a problem?

I just ran my Polytac on Medium (260L claimed) for 10 minutes laying on the bed. The plastic head was slightly warmer than the plastic body. The battery was not warm. The metal battery tube was not warm. I can't get the bezel off, so I couldn't feel if the board was warm/hot. If the LED is generating much heat at 260L, it must be staying in the head.

Oh, and the clip is quite sturdy. Sturdy enough that I feel comfortable clipping it directly to my belt rather than using a belt holster for it.

--flatline

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm honestly not quite sure what the situation is. Keep in mind that when SureFire switched over to LEDs initially, their lights were putting out quite a bit less than 300 lumens, and the polymer heads were having issues. Yet somehow the Streamlight ones seems not to suffer from that. It's a genuine head-scratcher. Though if it is a situation where Streamlight has solved an issue that SureFire couldn't, again; their lack of marketing is hurting them! No need to brag or even mention SureFire by name. A simple "Our main competition couldn't solve this issue with their polymer lights. But we have."

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I've had great success with streamlight. I own three. I gifted my father-in-law my HL-X. The HL-X is toward the large end for an EDC, imo. But it still fits well in a pocket. Great throw, beam and color.

Decableguy2000

Newly Enlightened
I have the HL-X, set low /high love this light. Have a Pro-Tac 2aa, replaced the Mini-mag for around the house duty. I'm still waiting on my 2L-x, on back order. I also have 1/2 or so older headlamps, and Liteboxes as well. Stream lite has served me well for 20ish years as industrial user, not a collector.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the 2L-X has a low Voltage cutoff?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Quick thing....

To the individual who has been PMing me regarding a few details about this topic, I could not send you the latest reply I wrote because you've exceeded your limit of allowed Private Messages on CPF. Please delete a few of your older PMs. Unfortunately the long, detailed PM I sent you is lost. So, I'll have to type up a shorter one once you have room in your inbox. Thanks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hopefully, that is not me. :thinking:

Sorry for not replying sooner. Been having computer issues the last couple of days. Didn't want to mention your name directly on here since we exchanged PMs, and I wasn't sure you wouldn't be upset if I mentioned you. But yes, it's you.

I can reply directly here regarding your last PM, or just let me know if you had a chance to clear out some older PMs, and I'll re-type my response to you through Private messaging. Whichever you'd prefer.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a microstream that is easy to use for momentary light, but requires an unusual amount of thumb strength to click on. Does the Protac AAA have the same issue?

--flatline

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes. Same with the Stylus Pro.
I use the tip of my thumb or forefinger.

There is a mod where you punch a piece of plastic (like a credit card) with a hole puncher and place it between the rubber boot and the actual switch button.

Works great but momentary's too easy in my view so trouser pocket carry can cause it to accidently light. Now if you shirt pocket carry it or holster, no issues there.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried that mod but then the light would turn on when I screwed the rubber boot back on so I had to undo it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thank you Monocrom. Here is absolutely fine as you have me convinced with this light.

Sorry about a bit of a late reply. Real world has a nasty habit of getting in the way of enjoying one of my favorite hobbies. Okay..... You asked why I like the Streamlight Protac 2L-X so much that I bought a 2nd one.

Honestly, it's the total package that you get with the light. Sometimes one thing being idiotically designed is enough to ruin a light. Two examples: The old Night-Ops Gladius, and the current SureFire EDCL2-T. Now the Gladius suffered from two things: One, it was about a decade ahead of its time. Meaning that LED technology back when it was introduced simply was not advanced enough to give this light the output it deserved at the upper end, along with the needed range of output it could put out on the mid. range.

Ultimately, that wasn't the fatal flaw that caused the Gladius to temporarily be a dead-end on the evolutionary tree of flashlight development. To see where the Gladius would have gone had it been introduced later, look no further than Olight's current Warrior model.

No, what ruined it was that absolute, cheap, miserable joke of a tailcap. It's as though Night-Ops ran out of money, and just tacked it on there. It's like trying to get maximum performance out of a Corvette by putting four used, bald tires on it; and hitting the track. It's just moronic. The fact that you had an overly complicated procedure for swapping out batteries, didn't help either.

One thing.... One thing was all that was needed to kill a light that should have been popular far longer than it was on CPF. After the Gladius, Night-Ops put their name on a bunch Made in China junk No-name lights and the brand isn't even mentioned on these boards anymore.

SF EDCL2-T. 1200 Lumens in a relatively compact package. What's not to love?.... How about the idiotic placement of the clip that causes the entire tailcap to stick out above from a pocket seam when carrying the light. Great way for your light to snag on EVERYTHING and fall out of your pocket! Why did SureFire do that? They went to their parts bin and that's literally the longest two-way carry-clip they have. So instead of having their R&D department make a new clip for it, they simply cheaped out and went with an existing clip that works fine.... on their shorter pocket-carry models.

The Streamlight Protac 2L-X literally got everything right. From it's dual-fuel option of 1x18650 ~or~ 2xCR123s, to the excellent U.I. that can be programmed to give you the type of modes that YOU want. To the two-way pocket-clip that sits flush with the top of the tailcap so it won't snag. And for the fashion conscious, it won't cause the light to stand out when clipped to a pocket. Wear a pair of black pants, the light and clip literally become invisible. Nice selection of modes. Strobe if you want it. Program it hidden away if you don't. Not just bright as hell and a low option like with SureFire. But good medium settings too. The beam is an excellent combination of throw and flood, with throw being favored a bit more. Just works fantastic for my needs. A bezel that isn't too fat for pocket-carry.

This light shows what happens when every detail is properly paid attention to.

miyagi

Newly Enlightened
Monocrom - Thank you very much for taking the time to reply a detailed information as to why you bought two Protac 2L-X. I got mine earlier this month and enjoy the 3 different modes available. Like the Low/High for indoor use and the High/Strobe/Low for outdoors. Also, bought the little brother - Protrac 1L-1AA as well. Can't be happier. Thanks to you for resurrecting this thread. :rock: Thinking of getting the nitron version next but need to save first.

I remember a post about you recommending getting the 18650 battery case from Countycomm for easy carry in case the battery runs out. Do you rotate the 18650 batteries meaning if the battery in the flashlight runs out, you use the one in storage and rotate or the second one is only used if you need it? Trying to understand if it's more practical to use 2 batteries in rotation vs just use 1 battery and recharge when the battery is getting low. Are you using the usb rechargeable 18650 from Streamlight?

Last edited:

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
For modern LED flashlights, I've generally chosen Surefire and Malkoff alternatives to Streamlight. However, the Streamlight Stinger with wall charger cradle stands out among the crowd for my purposes of nighttime walking. Always fully charged, always where I need it. Used every night for 30min +/- on high setting (800 lumen). That big battery keeps things bright. No problems.

Now the Stinger and 2LX USB aren't in the same category, but what I'm trying to say is that if it best fits a niche for ya, click the buy button. I tried a USB flashlight... found that USB charging wasn't as convenient for me as I thought it would be.
d6dHHxf.jpg

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I actually bit the bullet and purchased a Polytac X last week. Still waiting for it to arrive. There's not much research to be done with it being a newer model, reviews are few and far between. The 275 lumen model seems to be a solid light so I felt comfortable with the "X". Regarding heat- I guess the newer generations of LED's have much better outputs at a given drive level that they can make more lumens without having to push them hard enough to have heat dissipation be an issue. I like the idea of the Ten Tap programming, the beam looked good in the videos I saw, and after "rampdown" to 300 it will still have decent output. I'm looking forward to getting it. :thumbsup:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually bit the bullet and purchased a Polytac X last week. Still waiting for it to arrive. There's not much research to be done with it being a newer model, reviews are few and far between. The 275 lumen model seems to be a solid light so I felt comfortable with the "X". Regarding heat- I guess the newer generations of LED's have much better outputs at a given drive level that they can make more lumens without having to push them hard enough to have heat dissipation be an issue. I like the idea of the Ten Tap programming, the beam looked good in the videos I saw, and after "rampdown" to 300 it will still have decent output. I'm looking forward to getting it. :thumbsup:

When you get it, use the 10-tap programming to put it in the 3rd mode group (the one that starts with Low) and then count the number of modes.

I got a Polytac for Xmas and the packaging says 275/14, but my light is actually the newer 600/260/35 model. It would be interesting to know if they're playing this game with other models as well.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the streamlight website, it looks like the Polytac X is the Polytac packaged with a battery and with a different clip (Polytac X has a 2-way clip, Polytac is bezel up only).

Edit: Polytac X also takes an 18650 whereas my Polytac takes a 16650. Important detail that I missed the first time...

I hope you love it!

Based on my experience so far with the Polytac, I would totally purchase a polymer 1xAA from Streamlight if they made one.

Last edited: