What job do you do?

Sammy_boy

Newly Enlightened
Re: What do you do for a living?

Thanks Monocrom :) The paperwork can be pretty bad too - an incident lasting 10 seconds usually involves around an hour of documenting/incident forms! :thumbsdow

They way to cope with some of the behaviour on the ward is to realise these men don't know what they're doing, most of them would be mortified if they realised what they were doing if they were compus mentus.

gsr

Enlightened

I'm a wrench monkey for the government.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast

Every day I get up about 0830 and let the dog out the back , then I go (in the car) for the daily newspaper , then I do the Suduko's then I put the kettle on for a cuppa for "her indoors" (ordinary tea) and me (green tea) ... Then I make my own breakfast (fruit and muesli) and more cuppas (black coffee for me this time) then on the computer to reply to all my e-mails and then onto CPF ... At 1100hrs , I take the dog for walkies and I chat to assorted people including the motor-cycle traffic cop who hides at the end of our road ... He catches loads of speeding motorists on his new speed camera ... Can't understand how so many get caught as he is there several times a week ... Then it's back home for another black coffee and some sort of lunch ... Lunch is either a proper one made by "her indoors" or I am forced to make myself some chocolate biscuits and custard creams to go with my coffee ... I don't actually make the biscuits , they are from Lidls.

Afternoon work is weather dependant ... In the warmer weather I watch my wife pottering (working) in the garden ... I sometimes have to put the washing line up for her too ... I'm trying to decide whether to buy an outdoor (weatherproof) fridge for my beers but it would not be used in the Winter and she would have to carry it up the steps to the garage ... It would have to be waterproof and light in weight ... Perhaps I will just keep using the coolbox as it is the cheaper option ... In Winter , I can watch her in the garden through the lounge window.

I drive her to the food shops a couple of times a week too ... Sometimes she goes clothes shopping on her own ... I can then relax at home with the dog and watch TV ...

After our evening meal , which starts about five-thirty , I put the pots etc in the dishwasher ... I relax and then go back on the computer till nine o'clock whilst my Wife watches some of her soap programs ... There is usually something decent for us to watch at nine on the TV ... It is supper time at about nine , but I have to get my own sandwiches as she says that she is tired by nine ... A glass or two of red wine to help my digestion whilst watching TV then it's out with the dog before bed ...

It's all go in our house as you can see ...

By the way , I am retired ... My Wife tells me that Women are never able to retire ... I just say "Yes Dear" every time she says that.

I retired from paid work nearly 18 years ago ... I was an electronic and radio engineer ... Worked on installing and maintaining all types of electronic equipment including long distance remote control systems and multiplex equipment (analogue and pcm) and VHF (low-band and mid-band) , UHF and SHF (microwave) radio systems ... Wrote lots of specifications for equipment tenders for our industry and supervised the intallations by the successful company ...

Can't help thinking that most of the information that I had to learn at the Poly-Tech was only useful to pass exams ... I have never had to use differential equations to solve any electrical or electronic problems at work ... Equally well , I have never had to design low-pass , high-pass , band-pass or band-stop M-Derived filters or consider the effects of flanking impedance ... In work , I never had to design and construct and/or/nand/nor or exclusive-or gates and build them from discrete components ... If we needed those sort of things , we just opened a book and chose the appropriate chip and bought it ... I spent years of my life studying things that I never needed ... So , I am now resting my body and brain to make up for it.

Ah well , it's time for another coffee and then out with the dog for my morning exercise.

Life is hard for us elderly impoverished people.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Monocrom :) The paperwork can be pretty bad too - an incident lasting 10 seconds usually involves around an hour of documenting/incident forms! :thumbsdow

They way to cope with some of the behaviour on the ward is to realise these men don't know what they're doing, most of them would be mortified if they realised what they were doing if they were compus mentus.

My aunt had a similar job to yours. She's a small woman but tough. The plus side is that you get to retire at 55.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast

I retired from paid work nearly 18 years ago ... I was an electronic and radio engineer ... <..snip..>

Can't help thinking that most of the information that I had to learn at the Poly-Tech was only useful to pass exams ... I have never had to use differential equations to solve any electrical or electronic problems at work ... Equally well , I have never had to design low-pass , high-pass , band-pass or band-stop M-Derived filters or consider the effects of flanking impedance ... In work , I never had to design and construct and/or/nand/nor or exclusive-or gates and build them from discrete components ... If we needed those sort of things , we just opened a book and chose the appropriate chip and bought it ... I spent years of my life studying things that I never needed ... So , I am now resting my body and brain to make up for it.

I've got my bachelors and masters in electrical engineering, and have learned a lot of stuff that never got applied. However, I have used a lot of my education, and never knew exactly what part I'd be needing next! I've stayed in design work most of the time, although it's not easy to do. Lately I've been working in the area of electromagnetic compatibility, helping suppliers fix their designs so they aren't affected by RF noise and don't emit too much noise. I get to see a lot of interesting designs, work with a variety of people and companies, and spend time scratching my head trying to figure out why some EMC fixes work and others don't (i.e. normal life as a designer). :)

Steve K.
(and I design circuits for my bicycle lights in my spare time)

DisrupTer911

Enlightened

Desktop support technician at a pharma company.

and do side work in photography whenever possible.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened

Excavator, Detailer, UPS. Oh btw if you are shipping anything through UPS make sure you pack your items right! When I say pack it right I mean packing peanuts everywhere. maybe even some plastic air bags. Cause despite what some think just cause it says fragile on it doesn't mean it going to get treated that way. Just a word of warning

Hacken

Enlightened

Hi, I work in the IT support dept. and current CNA for a home health care service also.

badmanners

Newly Enlightened

Hi, this is my first post here, but I have been visiting for quite a while.

For a living, I move, respire, sense things, grow, etc.

During the day I hoard torches mostly.

Occasionally I look after a website that provides training to medical doctors, mostly in Australia.

I appreciate a good light, and I own quite a few (10+). My current favorite is not the brightest I own by far, but it has a great reflector.

I love to see a spot of light, that I control, far from me, but most lasers are banned here.

--me

Last edited:

pbgunrunner

Newly Enlightened

Cop! So I get to write of my lights as needed equipment! :sssh:

pavithra_uk

Newly Enlightened
Whats your job ?

simple question... whats your job ?

I know many people there. mainly US & Europe. Like to share jobs or lifestyles.. like to know whats you're doing..

Me.. Im doing some repairs of electronic items including phones, household appliances, computers etc. at home.

I have a dream.. someday visit USA. or even Europe

I apply Green card since I got internet.. but still no luck..

mljjones67

Newly Enlightened
Re: Whats your job ?

Just opened a auto detailing business out of my garage. I had it opened for about 7 years, 6 years ago I closed it. Now because I lost my job ! now get to open it back up.. I am a big car guy!!

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Re: Whats your job ?

I retired in October, 2011 at age 65. I'm Canadian. Most of my career, if you can call it that, has been in the cable television business, primarily in the system design end of things (designing and laying out distribution systems for new subdivisions, system rebuilds), and more recently, internet support.

The cable business in both Canada and the US is thriving, since it's involved in cable TV, pay TV and internet services.

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
simple question... whats your job ?

I know many people there. mainly US & Europe. Like to share jobs or lifestyles.. like to know whats you're doing..

Me.. Im doing some repairs of electronic items including phones, household appliances, computers etc. at home.

I have a dream.. someday visit USA. or even Europe

I apply Green card since I got internet.. but still no luck..

Well I am a IS Administrator. You know plug in mouse's, tell people to remove their note books off their keyboard and it will stop beeping. That sort of thing