What LED is missing?

thundertree

Enlightened
+1 on the concept a larger Cooly. I would like to see a 3x 26650. Also, the extension concept you mentioned as an alternative would be nice as well to allow multiple extension to be used on the original Cooly to allow for however many batteries the user would like.

braddy

Enlightened
With our advances in run time and brightness and batteries and regulation, I think companies should start working on elegant AAAA lights, and jewelry lights, not toys or junk, but actual high quality 25 and 100 dollar items, small, slender, even tiny, and fit for fine dressing.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
With our advances in run time and brightness and batteries and regulation, I think companies should start working on elegant AAAA lights, and jewelry lights, not toys or junk, but actual high quality 25 and 100 dollar items, small, slender, even tiny, and fit for fine dressing.

+1 great idea! Diminutive gold and diamond jeweled blast cannons! Love it!

Megatrowned

Enlightened
For all these lights and more, I think a 'quiet' switch would be great. Something as durable, easily-replaceable, and high amperage enduring as a McClicky. On the order of a HDS style switch, but that would be backwards compatible with existing lights.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
A high output, compact LED flashlight that could survive an EMP pulse/attack would be swell.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like an 18650 size body with an XRE led there aren't many lights getting made with an XRE bulb now it seems everyone has gone XML mad,i'd like a smooth reflector with a little depth so the XRE punched out a decent throw all of this in the most compact size possible,also it would be even better if the XRE had a neutral tint.All of this with E size compatible threads & 3 modes & McClicky switch

Check out the XP-E2. It's got some serious throw even in smaller reflectors but better efficacy. It has about the same efficacy as first gen XP-G but more compact surface area for better throw. I've got a vinh P60 drop-in with an overdriven 4000K XP-E2 and its an awesome light.

Last edited:

creyc

Enlightened
For all these lights and more, I think a 'quiet' switch would be great. Something as durable, easily-replaceable, and high amperage enduring as a McClicky. On the order of a HDS style switch, but that would be backwards compatible with existing lights.

Agreed, one of the preferred aspects of my HDS and Zebralights. Nothing like waking up the missus in the middle of the night to the "CLICK-CLACKKKK!!" of a McClicky. :) (shes' a light sleeper)

However the thing I'd throw over my money for WAYY quicker than that....would be a slim, native AA/14500 sized pocket light with a magnetic control ring UI. There are several AA-compatible control ring lights available but they are all sized primarily for CR123A cells and include extensions for AA use, resulting in a light much larger than necessary. Imagine the EagleTac D25A with a control ring....and trit slots. ;)

creyc

Enlightened
A high output, compact LED flashlight that could survive an EMP pulse/attack would be swell.

Theoretically an HDS might survive, I thought I recall hearing?

Or possibly a direct drive piston light utilizing the piston "shell" as a sort of faraday cage? I know Spark advertises their SL-series flashlights WITH "Electrically conductive aluminum body provides inherent EMI/RFI shielding" although I can't imagine the micro controller smarts inside would fare favorably..

thundertree

Enlightened
A new 4xAA P60/D26 host with no battery carrier needed (battery configuration either in-line or in a circular fashion like the NITECORE EA4)

thundertree

Enlightened
So can I. Fin the back of the head, and the body from the switch to the head. Throw in a massive heatsink with the appropriate driver (H6Flex from TaskLED?), and drive the emitter to 6A.

I'm drooling, just thinking about it.

I 2nd this motion for this type of build! Driven at 6A with a Large, deep head for the MG-T2 in a 3D M*g would be perfect!

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I'd love to have a AAA with a proper momentary clicky, super floody led (a mule + a lens so you'd get a ~100 degree spread).
Ideally a light with the characteristics of a Nichia 219, because I really love the whole 4500K high CRI tint.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I like:
1-
A single MT-G2 emitter in a head and reflector big enough to properly focus it, on a 3x32xxx cell tube with a side switch. 3 modes; ultra low, med and high.
This is a good idea but with 2x18650 body, it will be easier to carry.
Just imagine 2x18650 M4 with installed 6 Amps MT-G2
Now where to find assembled 6 Amps MT-G2 pill?
---
2-
- Titanium CR2-sized tube (E-compatible threads)
Unfortunately, not many CR2 lovers.
How about titanium 18350, 18500 or 18650 ???
---
3-
An ULTRA minimal aluminum single 18650 p60 host.
Similar to this but "C" head. Right?
---

Any other LED light is missing?

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah a c head but maybe with a super short twisty tail cap making it an ultra slim and minimal p60 host!

An aluminum side by side dual 18650 that's slimmer & lighter than the D M*G one would be cool too!
Especially if it had a series option for those pesky MTG2s.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the technology exists today, for something like this: single AA, head twist on/off, single medium output, simple tailstanding tube with light bands of knurling on the head & body. No one makes it, & I'm definitely missing it.

There are plenty of big lights that work, but no sign of my preferred edc form/ui for several years.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Super-slim 14500 light with magnetic ring. As a previous poster mentioned, Something like the Eagletac D25a, but with a control ring. Not fat like current control ring lights.

2. Super-slim 14500 light with an electronic tailcap switch
. Not a loud clicky like the D25.

3. Flashlight with adjustable focus using deformable lens technolog
y. About a year ago, I watched a video of a product some company made. It was a flexible lens that in one configuration was flat, but when squeezed by a rotating collar it deformed into an aspheric shape. This allowed for a focusing flashlight without the need for a sliding bezel. The video even demonstrated it mounted on the front of a flashlight. Would be nice if someone actually made this into a production flashlight. I forget the name of the company that invented this stuff though.

4. Flashlight with adjustable tint. It would be cool to have an LED flashlight with variable tint that the user could adjust on the fly. Not quite sure how to do this though. I recall recently seeing one invention online that was a lightbulb for your house lights. Its lightsource was LEDs, but the tint was user-selectable. I think this was on Kickstarter. Perhaps such technology would work in a flashlight (though maybe not, because they probably used multiple different color LEDs inside their large bulb). Or maybe an adjustable tint could be done mechanically ...a rotating filter with different levels of phosphor mounted in front of a blue LED would allow the user to adjust the tint by rotating the filter. However, the light might not be very focused or bright.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i sure would like to see more large reflectors\heads, for mags, like throwmaster and fm3 used to be, but made for leds.

there are hundreds of munfacturers\custom shops that build small lights, with any ui\led\lens. but no one makes parts for mags anymore.

i would sure love to get a mag head with 3-4 inch reflector to use with mtg2.