What LED is missing?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fivemega,
What would you think about your 2x26650/tailcap C-head; but sized/threaded to fit Malkoff heads? That way people could run the "regular" Malkoff bezels on your bodies with hi/lo rings, as well as the Hound Dog heads. Perhaps you could also make a tailcap/switch assembly that would have more rounded inner edges, and have some holes, so people could attach lanyards. Thank you for reading this!

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I feel that its a pity that all the P60 L.Es available now with leds were constructed as drop-ins, due to the fact that they were originally designed to replace the incandescent module which was a drop-in in a host that was intended for an incandescent module.

Unlike incandescent bulbs, leds require very efficient heatsinking and as good as some P60 L.Es are, the fact that there's an air gap between them and the head is always a disadvantage. (even wrapping them with conductive tape doesn't make up for this)

Its a pity that there weren't separate P60 LED hosts that required screw-in P60 LED L.Es which would have resulted in much better heatsinking.

Probably too late to start that now though.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
xq-e hi led is missing. A great led to tightnen up the focus in those floody aaa lights. No one makes lights with xq-e hi leds. Have one in my tool ti, and it's great.
neutral xq-e hi lumintop tool ti va stock lumintop worm at 2,4 meters.
tmp_10797-DSC_0379603393317_zpsdgb8v3nv.jpg

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever considered 2xAA and 3xAA E-series compatible bodies w/integral tailswitch assemblies, similar to your sold-out 2xAA & 3xAA D26 bodies?
Single 21700 (or even 18650) will have much more capacity than 3AA (fatter but much shorter).
Any interest for 3AA E head with built in McClicky?

=======
Its a pity that there weren't separate P60 LED hosts that required screw-in P60 LED L.Es which would have resulted in much better heatsinking.
I had an idea to make body/reflector in one piece so you could screw LED module pill on threaded reflector end. This means complete body and reflector would be heat sink.
A pill is LED plus driver installed on threaded small copper seat.
In this case it wouldn't necessarily be a P60. Reflector can be any size and no Z44 would be necessary or useful, because we need direct air flow outside of reflector on finned body.
Problem is that not all available LED module have same thread (or removable) and some potted in reflector.

=======
I think a 21700 host would be pretty cool that is p60 compatible, maybe a body option that would fit the surefire head/tail to. Feeding a high output p60

Then a body that could run 2x 21700 cells in, imagine feeding an xhp50.2

Making such a body needs a matching thread tail cap (with switch) which will increase total cost.
Already available 1x26650 and 2x26650 inner barrel diameter is only 5mm more than imaginary 21700
21700 cell(s) with sleeve will fit in 1x26650 and 2x26650 C head.
How many people are interested on double barrel serial 2x21700 P60?
How many people are interested on single barrel serial 2x21700 P60?
Obviously, double barrel serial 2x21700 P60 will be way more expensive.

Last edited:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in for a double barrel serial or parallel host! I know you have the M@G parallel P60 host but I would think if it's all custom you could shrink the size down some. Also Z44 support could be cool so we could pick whatever bezel we would like.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Fivemega said:
I had an idea to make body/reflector in one piece so you could screw LED module pill on threaded reflector end. This means complete body and reflector would be heat sink.
A pill is LED plus driver installed on threaded small copper seat.
In this case it wouldn't necessarily be a P60. Reflector can be any size and no Z44 would be necessary or useful, because we need direct air flow outside of reflector on finned body.
Problem is that not all available LED module have same thread (or removable) and some potted in reflector.

=======

In fact the Dereelight DBS works like this with a large throwy reflector that screws into the head with the screw-thread at the top of the reflector. L.Es can then be screwed into the screw-thread at the base of this reflector. Some of them focus better than others but its an example along similar lines to your proposition above.

Heat from the L.E will be conducted directly into the thick Aluminium walls of the reflector and then from the reflector to the head and rest of the body.

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened
FiveMega, I would love to have a 21700/20700 host built very close to the original P60 style! I have a few 6-12 amp dropins that would benefit from the newer 20700 or 21700 battery. Personally I'm leaning towards the 20700 battery the NCR20700b has the capacity and a 15 amp rating but a few here would probably ask for the 21700 for its 4800 mah capacity to run lower amp dropins for very long times. 18650 covers most uses, 26650 does a good job but it's just to fat to keep the looks of the P60. 20700/21700 done right would have at least 6 orders from me for some of my hottest dropins and the dropins done by Mountain electronics or by Pflexpro. 12 amp+ dropins really need something bigger than a 18650 for run time with output.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there's probably not a ton of interest but one thing I'd really like to see is a twisty 18650 like an old school Surefire 6 clone. I've never seen a twisty 18650 where just the head twists for on and off and the end cap and body are a solid piece. Something super simple and very functional. Just a thought...

archimedes

Flashaholic
I know there's probably not a ton of interest but one thing I'd really like to see is a twisty 18650 like an old school Surefire 6 clone. I've never seen a twisty 18650 where just the head twists for on and off and the end cap and body are a solid piece. Something super simple and very functional. Just a thought...
Not a one-piece host, but you could do this pretty easily with Solarforce parts....

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a one-piece host, but you could do this pretty easily with Solarforce parts....

I haven't seen a solid Solarforce tailcap. I've only seen the clicky tails. I know I'm in the minority but I'm not a huge fan of the clicky tails. Maybe it's because I grew up on Mini Mags and the like and now when I pocket these new lights I eventually wind up draining the battery even if it's pointed lamp down.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Vital Gear did switchless 1, 2 or 3x123 bodies. They didn't hold an 18mm cell but these days an RCR, a 16650 or a pair of eneloops could work.

IMG_20180109_203848.jpg

The switchless 1x 123 with a VME head and M31W.

Basically a VME on numerous lights can be a rotating switch. So can E heads on an E1 or two.
Activate the switch and tighten/loosen the head for on/off of many-a light with a Mechanical switch at the tail.

You can even change settings in some cases.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about an adapter that would allow one to attach the bezel of a U2, U2a, or Kroma to a FM 1x26650 e-head light? Or possibly an entirely new 1x26650 battery tube and tailcap/switch assembly that would do the same thing? Preferably with the tailstand ability of the 1x26650/2x26650 C-head.

Last edited: