What light to buy?

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to suggest a flashlight for me.

I'm a carpenter and i sometimes need to see into dark places, for example where i work now some areas do not have the lights installed yet. We usually will use the windows for sunlight or use floodlights but sometimes its a lot easier to just grab a flashlight if you need to do a quick check in a ceiling.

Basically i want a flashlight for no more then 20-30 dollars. It needs to be pocked size so it fits in my tool belt, like 4-6 inches probably. Most importantly i want it to be extremely bright for the size/money. Ive seen flashlights at like gas stations with 5 leds in them for 8 dollars but they don't impress me much and probably aren't quality like i need it to be.

I also was reading through the list of "High power LEDs" on the stickies and saw a few in my price range, but i sm not sure of how big they really are and which is the best for my money.

It also needs to be relatively durable in case it does happen to take a beating.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DanielG

Enlightened
Go to Lowe's and look for the 2 Cell C Task Force flashlight by the register. Make sure it says "60% brighter" and take a look at the thread in this forum about the flashlight.

$30 and it is brighter than you really need and it burns quite a long time on 2 C cells.

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the speedy reply. If i have to i will resort to that light, but i was definately looking for something a bit more "compact" if you will then a C cell light. If there is a light that is smaller and i can buy and do a simple first timer mod on to make it better that would be great. But a light that is all set to go with no improvement would be excellent. (i saw some threads saying "you can just swap out the star with a Q5 or something)

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
anyone have some thoughts? i was looking at the jetbeam cl-e is that a good one?

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
The 4AA Propoly seems to always work well for you carpenter dudes. You can beat the crap out of it, comes in bright yellow, looong runtime, very bright for a Luxeon, AA batteries, lifetime warranty and only about $25.00. You can get a little crazy later and give it the $7.00 Seoul mod!

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
tempting but it will be kinda long. Like i said i need to try and stay compact, 8 inches is a bit overkill. is the jetbeam any good though or can i do better? I found it for 33 shipped reverse clickie with the nylon pouch that i can (i think) put on my tool belt from http://www.hobbyngear.com/cubecart/

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
For your price-point of $20-30, I'll second DanielG's suggestion of the TaskForce 2-C Cree LED.

I've bought a couple, and they are great. They are not really that big, yet have an anti-roll bezel, seem pretty durable, and have an extremely bright beam of light, that would be great for spotting up in dark corners.

Check out the photo of it in the reviews section. Should fit fine in a tool belt.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxon is good - nice run time & compact and rugged - I have it and it's companion 4AA LED with 7 Led's - Streamlight says they addressed the early reliability problems from when they were first introduced - the Led has more of a short wide pattern that is better for close work than the Luxon -

I have ran my 4AA Led light for 12 hrs straight on a couple of 3 sets of rechargeable Eneloops and warm but no failure - I use the led version in boat engine compartments -

The 2AA Led is nice also but not as powerful -

Short review on the 2AA
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176741

See Flashlight Reviews.com for the 4AA Streamlights
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

mb

Optik49

Enlightened
I have two Jetbeams and like them. One of them the wife stole for her pocketbook. If you raise your price range a little the check out the Fenix lineup or you might want to consider a Surefire G2. Later you can add a led drop-in if you want.

Good luck.
:cool:

Dantor

Enlightened
Ever think about a Head Light? I was a carpenter for 16 years and once I was working in a museum in chicago and worked in the dark a lot.

I had a Coast head light I had gotten at a trade show and did it come in handy. I know your hands are full a lot and a head light could really help you out. Their are many makers/brands so check em out, and keep your hands free and everything safe. Just my 2 cents.

Thed

Newly Enlightened
Howabout the Ultrafire WF-606A 3W Cree?

Relatively small, in your price range and bright.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
tempting but it will be kinda long. Like i said i need to try and stay compact, 8 inches is a bit overkill. is the jetbeam any good though or can i do better? I found it for 33 shipped reverse clickie with the nylon pouch that i can (i think) put on my tool belt from http://www.hobbyngear.com/cubecart/
Howdy Mihlrad,
Personally, I think you hit the nail right on the head with the JetBeam C-LE version 2.

I've got the version 1, and it's been in my pocket all day, every day, ever since I got it 6 months ago. It's a tough little light, very bright for it's size, and with the clicky it should be very easy to operate, even one handed. I'd say go for it.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Go above your price point and get the G2L! It comes in hi-vis yellow and will take a real beating. If this light will be used at work, it will wind up in the toolbox and Nitrolon won't scratch up much. With a G2L you will only buy 1 light and not have to replace it every other year..... Go for the rugged peace of mind from SF.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How tough does it have to be?

The CLE is pretty good, though it might be a bit too small. Half the size of the Minimag and a bit thicker then the body.

If it should be able to take normal falls every one in a while and be simple to use(just on and off), then the MTE Seoul(Jetbeam CL-E size) might work for you. So will the Lumapower LM33(low-high-off, "CPF2006" for discount).

For something larger, how about the 3W Seoul?

Mihlrad

Newly Enlightened
i see alot of threads say "buy that and put a Q5 bulb in it" Is there a light that one of you have listed that i can do that to in order to brighten it up?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JetBeam C-LE is a great small light in this price range. It would have a good beam for looking in ceilings and for general use.

When I read your first post I was going to suggest a Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux, as others have. It may be big but it is really durable and has a lot of light and great throw because of the big reflector.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You don't have to upgrade to Q5. For most of my tasks, 40 lumens is enough and the CL-E definitely has more then that. If you want to upgrade, wait till the R4s come out next year.