What lights your fire?

Mad1

Enlightened
I prefer a firesteel. Doesnt need fuel (unless you count tinder) and will work when wet.

2005451855097232462_rs.jpg

oregon

Enlightened
I prefer a firesteel. Doesnt need fuel (unless you count tinder) and will work when wet.

2005451855097232462_rs.jpg

Excellent picture you posted, thank you. It is clear and focused on the business at hand. A real riot of sparks there (looks plenty hot).

Do you carry any tinder or use do you use what you find onsight?

oregon

Mad1

Enlightened
The picture I found on google, but you get the idea.

It actually takes a bit of practice to use it effectively. Instead of striking the striker down the firesteel, hold the striker and move the firesteel backwards this way you don't knock your tinder everywhere.

The sparks are about 3000c so quite hot. For tinder you can use just about anything thats not too green, birch bark shavings work the best and in the UK easy to come by.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
These chrome capsule are tough. Its been my pocket EDC and its very scratch resistance.
The Brunton Storm for those who didnt know is NOT a HAIII aluminium :(
I thought it was till I recieved it.

TXArsonCop

Newly Enlightened
Meh, I call your tiny pigs and raise you a ginormous fire-breathing pig!!

e830d509.jpg

:poke:

oregon

Enlightened
Meh, I call your tiny pigs and raise you a ginormous fire-breathing pig!!

e830d509.jpg

:poke:

LOL

Now that's a flammable pig.

After seeing the size of your breeding stock my cute golden flamming pigs have left the building. Huh.

oregon

oregon

Enlightened
Gumball lighter

:candle:
P1010286.jpg

P1010284.jpg

Who had one of these as a kid? Not the most politically correct child's toy. Who has one now? Weren't these prizes in the crane machine?

I still remember the day, at the carnival, when I won both a transister radio and a wrist watch at the ring toss (both items made in Japan). Who needs money when you are lucky. Had I won one of these I'm certain, had it been found out, that it would have been taken away from me. Ahh the Jantzen beach roller coaster...

Thank you Kai for the stuff that triggers a walk down memory lane.

oregon

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened
Nope, not radioactive, and not a firepiston kind of lighter...:shrug:
Another clue:
lighter.jpg

:whistle:

Clever, oh so clever of you Bart to throw in a schematic of the prison sewer escape plans while we are trying to figure out your diabolical fire thingy.

It is a variation on the methanol/platinum lighter.

What did I win?

oregon

TXArsonCop

Newly Enlightened
You guys and your fixation with "being there" with your fire. It's MUCH more gratifying to start your fires from around 150' away. Call me jaded 'cause I put 'em out for a living. Guess I like a little more excitement when I start 'em... :devil:

e81aa7ef.jpg

The text suffered more than a bit and the pix got cropped by the stupid HP software. But the shotgun shell is a 12 gauge red marine flare, practice flares are white. These are sold for with and separately for use with the orange plastic pistols, they work very well in a shotgun too! 9 of 'em (red & whites) in rapid succession make a really cool roman candle! :caution: It's ILLEGAL to fire the red shells/flares over water!! :caution:

The "pen flare" is US Navy issue for pilots. The pic got cropped so you can't see the threaded end where it screws into the hand launcher.

It goes without saying that standard road flares of the 15 & 30 minute variety are also always on hand for starting fires when I need to burn brush piles and the weather won't cooperate. Of course a little diesel helps too.

Latest posts