What spurred your flashoholism?

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I had a few different flashlights, but no serious collection. I was researching sources for UV LEDs when I came across Craig's LED Museum. I was amazed at the wealth of information and became hooked. I think there was also a link to the CPF from his site and early last year I registered. I felt like a ship adrift in the night before finding the CPF group. I also think Craig's influence got me hooked to flashlights like a crack addict! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

It is a slippery slope from interest to obsession to addiction. I'm just glad to have so many here to share the journey with me.

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
Dad was a State Trooper, and went through a lot of flashlights in the '60's. Guess who got the broken ones? You want to see mods? I wish I saved them.
Then Boy Scouts: other guys showed off knives, latest lightweight camping gear, etc; I always had a light we could spot deer with across the lake.

Then I got into the retail (scuba) business, with Tekna, UK and PT as our main light lines. I spent a lot of time servicing and repairing other's lights, and started seeing ways to improve them. Then a stint at PT designing a lot of their lights. Eventually my own factory, with patents on some of the first white LED lights. I skipped the slippery slope, and jumped right off the cliff.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Next time your wife complains about how much you spend on flashlights, tell her, "...it could be worse, look at what happened to Scott..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I'd have to say mine started with just having to have the same things dad had. I can remember being 4 years old and dad had a large 6 volt lantern light. We would walk around the neighborhood at night. So guess who else had to have a flashlight. I guess I was just born an outdoorsman just like my dad. Then I got into the Cub Scouts and then Boy Scouts. I started living the "Be Prepared" motto and still live it to this day at age 27. I guess I have always been known as the guy who usually had any item for any emergency. So along with a pocketknife and various other things I carry in my pockets everyday, I carry a flashlight. And over the years I have continually improved on my EDC stuff. Now I am up to 2 lights on me at all times, atleast 3 different knives, and all kinds of other misc stuff.

And for the record. I don't mind being the guy in a crowd that is prepared for those expected emergencies. I find it very funny when those around me are faced with an event and they all stand around like "What do we do now?" I prefer to do for myself.

--Jason

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I started living the "Be Prepared" motto and still live it to this day at age 27. I guess I have always been known as the guy who usually had any item for any emergency. So along with a pocketknife and various other things I carry in my pockets everyday, I carry a flashlight. And over the years I have continually improved on my EDC stuff. Now I am up to 2 lights on me at all times, at least 3 different knives, and all kinds of other misc stuff.

And for the record. I don't mind being the guy in a crowd that is prepared for those expected emergencies. I find it very funny when those around me are faced with an event and they all stand around like "What do we do now?" I prefer to do for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup; and throw in a big first aid kit, fire extinguisher and a towrope in the truck.

Amen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cycling in the dark!
I purchased a recumbent bicycle back in Feb 1999 and really enjoyed cruising around. Had the little blinky red LED flashers on the back and wished a strong white LED would come out.
April, 2000 I was in a Target and noted an Emerson 18-LED red flasher and had to buy it ($10) Took the magnets off and strapped it to my rear rack and nuked some eyeballs. That thing was BRIGHT! I had a Bell 5W halogen helmet light to compliment the 18-LED flasher.
December, 2000 I learned I was going to Korea so I decided not to bring a car (good idea) and use my recumbent for transportation. Put a greenish-white 5 LED flasher on the front for redundent safety.
May, 2001 Rode to work on my recumbent so to adjust to day-to-day riding of the beast. Changed tires and a few things to make it work better. Still wished for bright, white LEDs.
July, 2001 Went to Korea and noted the 5W halogen could be overridden at speeds above 13 MPH.
April, 2002 Purchased a 3 LED white Streamlite Batonlite and was amazed at the whiteness of it. Pondered getting one with 30 LEDs in it to give me some light.
May, 2002 5W halogen bulb blew out at 18 MPH riding down a dark road in Korea. 8 foot ditches on each side heading to rice fields. Motivation to get that white LED project off the ground!
August, 2002 Found the LED Museum and started to research "Luxeon" 1.25 watt LEDs.
September, 2002 Joined CPF and started more research about current regulated Luxeons.
November, 2002 Put a BB500 Luxeon sandwich in a silver minimag and used it as a helmet light. Wished the optics would be narrower for better throw and better binning for more output.
February - May 2003 BB500, mini-LGI and 5W Cyan 5D head to other parts of the world. If you don't have a flashlight, you are in the dark in a dangerous place. Flashaholism turns to survival needs.
June 2003 BB400 Q3L sandwiches ordered for two bike lights
Summer 2003 Micro-Illuminator ordered. The small luxeon light bug planted.
August, 2003 BB500 R2H sandwiches coupled with Fraen LP optics produce enough light to see and not just be seen. The spare one becomes EDC.
September, 2003 2D Mag with Madmax+, R2H with mag reflector mod completed. It becomes the long-throw frame mounted light. Cops marvel at the long throw and bright beam.
November, 2003 BB400 Q3L traded for an Arc AA. Arc AA specifically for trips "across the pond" when a dimmer, longer lasting, waterproof light source is required.
February, 2004 Arc AAA with red LED purchased. The "sterile" light will be heading to South America for 3 months with other "sterile" items. This will create a yearning for more Arc AAAs!
April, 2004 UKE 4AA Luxeon lights, Infinity Ultras will be given out as emergency lights to friends. This is obvously pending!
Summer/Fall 2004 X3T 5 watt, 8 NiMH AA's, Flex regulated 2D Mag completed for better frame mounted light.
December, 2004 Arc AAA and Infinity Ultras given out as gifts for Christmas.

That is about it, my needs for reliable bicycle lighting and deployment lights tend to burn my wallet up.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Marveled by light, curious about electronics, and I worked in a place with no electricity at night. I was stuck with a 4D maglite for years and years thinking it was the greatest thing. One day I was hosted an "engineering" meeting for my son's cub-scout den. I was going to teach the kids about electricity, etc. so I ran to RadioShack to grab some bulbs, and wires, etc. for a basic circuit. Stumbled across some LEDs and used those instead. Then I got curious if "those things" could be brighter. Soon after I discovered flashlight modding, high intensity incandescent lights, and LEDs (ok, Luxeons). I'm hooked now.

I guess at a very subconscious level, I'm afraid of the dark and having a light makes me feel safe. There, I said it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

d'mo

Enlightened
I've been building incandescent flashlights since I was about 5 (no joke). Later, I bought my first pair of LEDs at Radio Shack in about 1977 and have been hooked since. Two engineering degrees later, I'm still building them.... and I couldn't be happier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
Guess Im a late bloomer.

I got into this because of need.
Iraq quickly teachs us what is of value good tools in the field.

Prior to this I would keep a Dx4 Mag light in the car. First as a lamp, second as a back up weapon.

Spent a long time in ham radio emergency managment and never had the urge to work on lights, mostly spent that time making RDF toys work better.

So now I have a new activity, it's not all that expensive. Also it's useful. Get to have something to do during my off hours on this base.

Got all kinds of ideas for projects. LED tail lights for my truck. A slew of projects for the car. Perhaps selling a few. IR lamps for NVG. High efficency DC converters for mobile power sources. Perhaps if the wife and I buy a home, we can make part of it DC operated and kiss off a few KW from the utiltiy. Domestic lighting, a good car stereo rather than a line powered stereo. Same for the TV.

The best part is a new community to hang out with. Got the ham radio club, the gun club, and now this.

So many thanks people

Jack Crow in Iraq