What the point of buying a real SF 6P ?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you have something that works out of the box, until all the other little boxes arrive giving you a complete light.

Because you're only going to upgrade the emitter, and want a bulletproof host (in the sense of the 'ten thousand immortals' - each individual part may be falliable, but with Surefire sending you replacements for everything that breaks, the whole light is in effect immortal)

Because once you replace the parts you're going to lego, you have enough left over to build a light for your glove box.

I bought a Surefire for my first really serious light for reasons # 1 and 2.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Some aftermarket parts are designed to fill the gaps that Surefire leaves open.

Leef bodies are a great way to use 18500 or 18650 rechargeable cells, without having to bore out a stock Surefire body. (A procedure that not everyone can do properly). And the Leef bodies look as though they fit on a Surefire offering. Aggressive checkering, sold construction, etc.

With regard to Gene's drop-ins, a Malkoff M60 is simply superior to Surefire's offerings. Slap a Surefire P61L label on an M60, and it would fit what Surefire has been promosing us; but has yet to deliver.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
WTH............!!!???

Is there a McGizmo for the C-series.....!!!????????

Now I LMAOandROTF FCOL...........:laughing:

brucec

Enlightened
I find it very strange that some folks here buy SF 6P or 9P and convert them to a LED light with a 3rd party dropin.

The M60L is better than the P60L in brightness and tint with comparable runtime. No, I wouldn't buy a 6P LED and use a dropin. But if I am looking for a 6P Malkoff, I would buy the 6P incan body.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60L is better than the P60L in brightness and tint with comparable runtime. No, I wouldn't buy a 6P LED and use a dropin. But if I am looking for a 6P Malkoff, I would buy the 6P incan body.

Hear, hear...........!

Newly Enlightened
Let's see, surefire makes the best flashlights ever. Yet, a lot of people take theirs and put on so many after market parts it really isn't a surefire anymore, and this is really only to fill in the "gaps" left by surefire.

How many users would claim "gaps" left by any other manufacturer mean the light is junk and not worth buying?

Don't get me wrong I completely understand modifying, I do it to watches and cars all the time. It is just unfortunate that the OP got piled on for posing a question about surefire.

IMHO we need to remember this is a discussion forum. Not every thread is going to teach us something.

dhwfd46

Newly Enlightened
There's 2 distinct categories of flashoholics around here. The wall hunting hobbyists, and the people whose lives depend on being able to have lots of light when they need it!

The hobbyists who have a crate full of $20 flaslights will never understand the SF lego builder. The same way people will have a dozen $20 holsters that don't work for them, but tell me I'm crazy for putting $120 into a Milt Sparks holster that I wear everyday and likely, will never need to replace. It's all about what works for us.

Often times, complete incan Surfire lights can be bought for the cost of a new SF bezel and tailcap. Try to buy a new bezel right now; everyone's out of stock, including SF. You can recoup much of the cost by selling the parts you don't need. I'd never pay for a 6P LED. Used 6P's can be had for around $35. By the time you drop in a Malkoff, you're around the cost of a new 6P LED and you have a much better light that is more economical to use.

This is like asking why would you buy a new Harley, then swap out brand new parts. People do it everyday! Not very many people buy all the parts they want their bike to have then put it all together.

The answer is and always will be because! It's human nature to individualize things to suit our particular tastes or needs.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to replace
a) SF P60 lamp with a 3rd party LED dropin
b) SF body with a leefy body in order to use rechargeable batteries
c) SF tailcap with a 3rd party tailcap

At the end of the replacement exercise, you had a Frankenstein light.

On the same note, why buy an incan light when what you really want is an LED light?
I find it very strange that some folks here buy SF 6P or 9P and convert them to a LED light with a 3rd party dropin. Or some folks who want to convert the main incan bulb in a SF A2 to LED, won't it be easier just to get a SF U2 instead.

Worthy points...

A) the SF LED 'drop in' is out performed by after market units
B) AW 17650 Li-ions fit just fine in my 6P body no need to change anything there (could always bore it out a little to accept the larger 18650 cell)
C) Not everybody knows it they're going to like the momentary-on/twisty cap SF uses as standard

And finally last but no means least... if I buy a stock 6P I can add accessories as I CHOOSE (and my budget permits) going the other way and shopping for specific components, sourcing, financing and shipping bits can take forever :thumbsdow

Surefire LEGO FTW! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same way people will have a dozen $20 holsters that don't work for them, but tell me I'm crazy for putting $120 into a Milt Sparks holster that I wear everyday and likely, will never need to replace. It's all about what works for us.

This is like asking why would you buy a new Harley, then swap out brand new parts. People do it everyday! Not very many people buy all the parts they want their bike to have then put it all together.

The answer is and always will be because! It's human nature to individualize things to suit our particular tastes or needs.
+1,000,000 EXACTLY!

It's like when I was sixteen and bought a 1967 Stock Mustang and put on the Hooker Headers, Intake Manifold, Glass Packs, Holley Carb, Etc..Etc..Etc.....

I could have done this with a Pinto but what's the point?
Great point.

If flashlight manufacturers were like Burger King (ie. Have it your way), we wouldn't have the LEGO need like we do now. But until that happens, my quest will never end to customize ALL of my lights. The only one I don't feel the need to mess with is the Ti PD-S.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like I have the world's only stock 6P with xenon bulb. :mecry:

The funny thing is, every once in awhile I read about some LED guy buying a 6P and being awe struck after turning it on with the xenon incan bulb. :eek:oo:

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
I feel like I have the world's only stock 6P with xenon bulb. :mecry:

You are not alone :)

I've got the Malkoffs, the LF rechargeable option lamps, the LEDs, but if it came down to just 1 light, that's it, I'd stick with the stock 6P incan :)

My most used light at the moment is all stock Surefire, except the batteries.
G2Z tan, P90, 2xIMR16340. Nice combo.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
No it isn't. It was just designed with different specs.

That's like saying a V8 Mustang is no better than a 4-cylinder Ford Focus. Mustang just has different specs. Toss a Malkoff M60 into one 6P, toss a Surefire P60L into another 6P, and I guarantee you'll see a difference.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My G2 is bone stock too, with the exception of a stainless strike bezel replacing the plastic lens retaining ring, and a glass lens. It rides in the glove compartment with a lanyard, and about 6 spare cells. ;)