What the point of buying a real SF 6P ?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's like saying a V8 Mustang is no better than a 4-cylinder Ford Focus. Mustang just has different specs. Toss a Malkoff M60 into one 6P, toss a Surefire P60L into another 6P, and I guarantee you'll see a difference.
Yep. The M60 will be brighter. And the P60L will run longer. Now define "better".

Agent_Jaws

Newly Enlightened
I picked up my 6P for about $40 new from the PX a while back and only recently modded it. Swapped the body for a 3-cell and the lamp for a Malkoff M60L. Why?

Wanted to have a longer runtime and rechargeable option. I can now swap between the M60L or P90/91 bulbs depending on what I feel like. I can also switch between 2 x 18500 Li-Ions and 3 x primaries on the same two lamps. This gives me a lot of options, more than with the original setup I think. Thus far that's all I've swapped, but it's more than enough that I don't try to call it a Surefire. On the other hand, I still DO have a complete Surefire 6P if I need the warranty.

Sometimes a flashlight manufacturer doesn't make a light that suits your exact needs or desires, and that's where customization comes in. Options are a good thing, not something to gripe about unless it's your wallet that's griping.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
My G2 is bone stock too, with the exception of a stainless strike bezel replacing the plastic lens retaining ring, and a glass lens.

Now that wouldn't be bone stock now would it:rolleyes:? Yes you didn't change it's performance but you did change it to work better for you, and that's the beauty of a Surefire is the ability to change almost anything we want no matter how large or small:twothumbs. What you did was not a major remolding of the light but a small preferenced tweak. Which is all it needed to be made a better light "for you".

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that wouldn't be bone stock now would it:rolleyes:? Yes you didn't change it's performance but you did change it to work better for you, and that's the beauty of a Surefire is the ability to change almost anything we want no matter how large or small:twothumbs. What you did was not a major remolding of the light but a small preferenced tweak. Which is all it needed to be made a better light "for you".
Exactly :thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
without dipping into a sf vs the rest arguement....

If you are gonna replace everything, look for the parts you need on BST

I bought a C2 without the drop in, cos i know im using a malkoff/R2 type drop in.

The main reason people buy surefire C series that way, is cos other stuff is desgined around it. For instance, The Cabela tail cap i tried didnt fit too well in my C2.....and so on....

besides, who else you gonna buy a "6P" body from anyway?

obviously, if youre gonna replace it with a leef body, then just dont buy a 6P...

Crenshaw

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the point of buying a real SF 6P ?

If you are going to replace
a) SF P60 lamp with a 3rd party LED dropin
b) SF body with a leefy body in order to use rechargable batteries
c) SF tailcap with a 3rd party tailcap

a)I'm not, my Surefire 6P's and G2's all still have SF incan bulb assemblies in them
b)My Surefires still have their stock bodies, I don't use rechargeables unless the light was designed for them
c)Still all on the stock tailcaps.

The one "mod" I've done to one of my SF 6P's (actually a D2 defender....it is a 6P with a clip) is add the SF A19 single cell extender a few years back and run a P91 lamp assembly. Back when I did that they had stopped making the 9P and the G3 wasn't being made yet. I may go as far as adding a Surefire or Malkoff LED drop-in someday, but for now I'm happy with my stock Surefires. FWIW even if I was going to go all mod-happy on them, I'd still keep as many SF parts as possible.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Most of the time, people buy a SureFire at SportsMans WareHouse. They take it home, and compare it to their mag, and suddenly, a spark somewhere deep inside them says, "WOW." Then they find themselves looking for more, more information, someone to share this revaluation they have had in portable illumination, and then they find us, and we say "so now all you need is a VISA with unlimited spending limits and this and that and this and that and 2 of these and 9 of those and why not get a couple of these while your there and etc etc etc."

So all it took was a quick visit to CPF, and blam, a 6P has been replaced by a leefbody with a stainless steel bezel and a Z58 and an 18650 and a M30 and ....

So they still have the 6P when they are done.... SO the itch continues.... They find out the 6P is still VERY useful, the 6P with it's stock twisty is dead solid reliable and can handle all kinds of abuse.. including dropping in a pair of IMR16340 cells and running a P91!!! MUAHAHAHHH

There's nothing wrong with owning a 6P, most of us find something fun to do with the remaining parts even after it's all said and done.

Eric

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the time, people buy a SureFire at SportsMans WareHouse. They take it home, and compare it to their mag, and suddenly, a spark somewhere deep inside them says, "WOW." Then they find themselves looking for more, more information, someone to share this revaluation they have had in portable illumination, and then they find us, and we say "so now all you need is a VISA with unlimited spending limits and this and that and this and that and 2 of these and 9 of those and why not get a couple of these while your there and etc etc etc."

So all it took was a quick visit to CPF, and blam, a 6P has been replaced by a leefbody with a stainless steel bezel and a Z58 and an 18650 and a M30 and ....

So they still have the 6P when they are done.... SO the itch continues.... They find out the 6P is still VERY useful, the 6P with it's stock twisty is dead solid reliable and can handle all kinds of abuse.. including dropping in a pair of IMR16340 cells and running a P91!!! MUAHAHAHHH

There's nothing wrong with owning a 6P, most of us find something fun to do with the remaining parts even after it's all said and done.

Eric

Pretty much spot on here.......I am at the stage where I first choose the inside of a flashlight and then go and find a suitable body for it.....however, now days its usually not a Surefire.....:)

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started out buying the chinese lights but through this site, I have heard all the talk about SureFire. Decided to buy a 6P to see what all the fuss was about - cheapest surefire.

Had a faulty P60 in mine but after a fellow CPFer gifted me one, I am pretty impressed with the performance.

I have a Malkoff M60WLF on its way at the moment. I will probably alternate between the two running either CR123's or ICR123's depending on the pill.

The SureFire bodies are very well made - the best of all the brands I have experienced - nice threads, good finish and with the 6p, plenty of aftermarket options.

It's a very nice shape to hold and with the M60WLF, a pretty expensive but ultimately good performing torch! (In Australia, the 6p is $90, and with freight, the Malkoff is $115 - Total = $205 AUSSIE DOLLARS - a lot of money but there is really nothing on the market offering this same type of experience.

James...

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. The M60 will be brighter. And the P60L will run longer. Now define "better".

Semantics :rolleyes:

BETTER as in it's an emitter, it's job is to emit light thus after market drop ins (aka Malkoff's) outperform (the description I used previously) the standard OEM fitment :thumbsup:

Runtime whilst desirable doesn't equate to BETTER like pure Lumen output does! :D

mdocod

Flashaholic
MalkOff has a low output module that will roughly match the P60L in regulated runtime and still be loads brighter....

In the world of LED flashlights, there is room for all sorts of "betters." But one universal "Better" that can be applied to anything is efficiency.

Efficient=better!

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe this is a stupid question, but can you even buy Surefire HAIII Natural bezels? I bought a C2, an M60, and i'm buying a leef body and probably buying a SF clickie tailcap.

I recognize the only part of the original C2 that will be left is my bezel... I haven't found anyone that still sells them.

The bezel seems to be the key to the whole puzzle.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, the purpose of M60 is to throw max lumens. M60L would be in the territory of many 2xAA lites, so what's the point.

dhwfd46

Newly Enlightened
Actually the M60LL is about the same output as the original "Surefire" tactical light and runs about as long as my E2L (KX2 single mode) on 2 primaries. It's more light than most people actually have a use for unless they're wall blinding and it can be left on for an 8 hour shift and still light the way home.

The M60L is a good bit brighter than the M60LL, so I don't see how it could be compared to many 2xAA lights.

Answering the question on the C2 bezel (Z44-HA,) you're right, nobody has them right now, including Surefire.

DimmerD

Enlightened
You call yourself a "flashoholic" and whats the point? Well that IS the point. You see I have a sickness:sick2: and I got it from coming here and reading too much. I saw Malkoff and Surefire and BugoutGear and..... I dont know why I bought a SF 9P with a BOG Q5 and a Malkoff M60 for it at the same time. I wanted an ican AND and LED so I bought them both at the same time. There really doesn't have to be a point to it other than I just wanted it, nothing wrong with that huh?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a stock 6P LED in my wife's car. It's an emergency light and I don't want my wife effing around with a cheap Chinese light with questionable quality when she needs something to work 100% of the time. She will not need 400 lumen light that gets 15 minutes of runtime. 80 lumens for four hours is more than adequate. The 6P (or 6PLED) can be had for a reasonable amount of money. Sure you can buy cheaper but Surefire is a "known" quantity and I'll pay a little extra for the peace of mind it offers me.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
11:28 PM
To me, the purpose of M60 is to throw max lumens. M60L would be in the territory of many 2xAA lites, so what's the point.

10:56 PM from another thread:
I am a bit disappointed with the runtime of M60 / 2x18500 AW's cells.

Kind of odd to slam on the longer-running M60L after just complaining that your M60 doesn't have enough runtime even with 2x18500's.

And for that, you get this:

:knight:
+1
K

Latest posts