What was the ONE light that got you hooked...

kool_BOY8323

Newly Enlightened
my first 'real' light was a AA mini maglite. it got me all through boy scouts and beyond. it became my toolbox light. i still have it. it's modded with a nite ize push button tail cap and 1w LED bulb now, along with the anti roll ring and pocket clip.

my most recent lights were a streamlight stinger ds led, and a streamlight strion led...

ive got so many flashlights now i cant keep track of em all. somewere around 20 last i counted. not counting the wife and son's collections..flashaholic family lol

Bertrand

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Defender Incandescent version was the first light I really wanted in 2005. 7 years and a couple thousand bucks later I'm a flashaholic I guess :)

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P2D.

It was the catalyst to the hobby that I spent several thousands of dollars on.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
6P... few sets of batts until Malkoff was discovered... after that it kind of went down the hill (at least from my financial standpoint)...

Richub

Enlightened
My first LED flashlight was a Fenix LD20 XR-E Q5, a short while later I bought an Olight M30 triton. That M30 seriously got me hooked on powerful lights.

After a few months I discovered the downsides of that M30: Almost no regulation on turbo, and a terrible PWM on mid and low. So it ended up in a closet. Last time I tried to find it, it was gone. Dunno if I trashed it, or if it's just misplaced somewhere...

I sold that LD20 last year, so the lights that got me hooked on flashlights are no longer a part of my collection... :oops:
Anyway, I still have plenty lights to enjoy on a daily base. And with all those new Fenix lights coming up the next months, I think I'll be getting a few more this year. ;)

crizyal

Enlightened
The turning point for my flashaholism was when I purchased my Eternal Light. It had not one but four LEDs! I could set it to many different modes, dim it down as low as I wanted. The batteries lasted forever hence the name. This was definitely a game changer for me. Where else was the to go but a Tri-V? Well I am still working on that one...

jssp78

Newly Enlightened
Surefire E2E. Still think it is the best form size made. Might not take 18xxx size battery but it feels great in the hand.

motigg

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Coast flashlight at Home Depot for a camping trip. Was wowed by the brightness (about 100 lumens, all spill, unregulated). Someone broke into my car months later, stole the flashlight. I figured I should do some research to replace the light--that led me to CPF. Trouble.

Edit: I remember reading the reviews and thinking "what kind of moron spends more than $20 on a flashlight?" and "who CARES what the beam looks like." Well, now I'm a moron, too.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The Arc6. I didn't like the way it looked in the product photos, but once I saw some better photos taken by owners with good cameras, I had to have one. I couldn't say no to a flashlight with more processing power than Apollo 11.

CIMG5211b.png

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
A freind showed me his Lummi Wee.
About a year later I enquired about it, he told me Dave was about to release the SPY007, and I bought one.
The SPY007 was my first "real light" I purchased.
That light lit up the way for me.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Innova X5. Finally I had a pocket size reliable light. Batteries would last 6 months. I always remember deer hunting with that light. 5 of us were looking for a wounded deer. By the time we walked out of the woods, everyone was following me. My light was the only one still working. The X5 was so far ahead of the other lights.

Smokescreen

Newly Enlightened
I remember seeing my Dad's Mini Mag back when they first came out and I thought those were awesome back then, but for me it was the Innova X5 too... after that I bought a Surefire e2D Defender and it just took off from there.

Last edited:

ShiningKnight

Newly Enlightened
Had a couple of maglites before, even a 6D which was large and heavy but not that much light.

Then last year colleagues had a ledlenser which made also wanna have something like that. Did some research, decided that ledlenser wasn't for me and decided upon a Fenix LD10. And that one got me hooked. Couldn't wait till it was dark and go outside to look at the amazing amount of light coming out of such a small package (maglite was the only comparison for me at the time).

Bought seven more Fenix lights from E05 till TK41 since then and am still looking for situations for which I need another flashlight (it not only got me hooked but I still got the virus and can't seem to get rid of it :))

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it was the first non-5mm LED light I got, a Romisen RC-H3. I'd been issued a Surefire Weaponlight months before and it whet the appetite. It was well designed, well made, and functional but when I turned it on ...I wasn't hooked. I was at one of the budget dealers a couple months later for some USB cables/adapters and noticed the flashlight section. Next thing you know I am looking at a review that points here and Bessiebenny's old budget light thread. Hmmmm... high output LEDs...that's news to me. Wanting to experiment before spending a lot of money I ended up with the RC-H3. The rest is history...

AIC

Newly Enlightened
Well, my first actual non-toy light was a 2aa Ray-o-vac Sportsman incan. It was simple, durable, bright (for the time), and looked good. It was just a flashlight to me that I used like a light should be used. I then got a Mini-mag, nothing special, didn't like it as much as the Ray-o-vac, but I used that too. Then, I was gifted an Energizer 4aaa double barrel, and I was hooked since then. Going to other Mags, bigger double barrels, more 2d lights and so on. Nothing could satisfy me like the 4aaa Double Barrel. Until I found this place after purchasing a 3aa mini-mag LED and an 80 luman dorcy 3aaa rebel, now I'm broke and illuminated.

lightsolo

Newly Enlightened
maglite mini 2xAA in a metallic blue color. cant even remember how old i was when i asked my parents for it.

Same here:thumbsup:...mini mag 2 AA royal blue metalic color had the best thow at the time for that battery type light. Virtually break proof for a kid, good size, and batteries were easy to get. That started me on the quality lights quest and onto the flashaholic wagon.

good times,
Lightsolo

jw2n

Newly Enlightened
I had many lights, having started using them in the mid-60s as a boy, but it was my first 6p in the 80s that really got me hooked.

anthony lumens

Newly Enlightened
F250XLT said:
Tell us about the ONE light the started you down the road to being a flashaholic.

For me, it was the introduction to the original HDS. When I saw a pic of it, I thought it was very intriguing. When I was finally able to play with one, it was all over. Still one of my absolute favorites, I will always have a few in my collection.

For me it was the Olight Sr90

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first LED and quality light, an Orb Raw NS in early 2006. A while later a Surefire L5. Both lights really started the sickness for me.

Eric

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always liked flashlights but did not become mad about them before I got the JetBeam PA20 - then it was a flashlight after the other...