What's Going To Happen With All The TVs When Signals Go Digital Next Year?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
TV is a little old fashioned. Kids hardly watch it anymore. If they do want to watch something they will just download it and watch it without commercials, or play a DVD.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the no commercials bit.
Sites are getting real good at commercials especially pop ups that do not require a new window so your browser does not block it.
Take Tina Fey - Sarah Palin (together) on SNL. NBC exercised their copyright and got youtube to ban it. then when you go to the NBC site you have to watch the commercial before the clip.
Even enthusiast driven sites like CPF have banner ads to help defray the costs.

Buying pay per view clips or a DVD costs a lot more than putting up with commercials.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not listing any way of avoiding commercials that might be against the law. One way is fast forwarding through commercials. I did not mean watching anything, in any way on a TV old fashioned. I was talking more about sitting down in front of the TV, and just watching whatever was available through the rabbit ears.

MrMom

Enlightened
Made the switch! WOW, what a picture!

Picked up a 26" and a 32" LCD DTV with built in tuner. The 32" has a PC input so it doubles as a second monitor. Installed a DB8 from Amazon for $80. Ran new coax up the 1.5 story house and fired it up.

Picture quality from over the air (free) HDTV programming exceeds that of friends satellite and cable programming. Turns out that satellite and cable compress the signal so much that a substantial amount of data is lost.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of people who have never been interested in politics before are going to get political. They are are going to want to get revenge on the the politicians who broke their TV.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Lots of people who have never been interested in politics before are going to get political. They are going to want to get revenge on the politicians who broke their TV.

As far back as Roman times, and likely even further back, politicians understood that the two things you never messed with were cheap food & entertainment for the masses. As long as both were plentiful, the people would tolerate a great deal.

Seems that lesson was lost at the start of the 21st Century.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I can think of one use where those pocket TVs will still work. Wireless remote cameras transmit analog signals, so don't toss the little TVs out after February 17th, just market them accordingly on eBay.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my converter box last spring. I can get all the channels with my home made UHF antenna with reflector up in the attic. It is highly directional, but I am North of all the local stations.

uhf1.jpg

I like how some stations have several extra channels. It is kind of like cable. The FOX affiliate has a second channel that plays movies. Another channel has a weather station and so on. I like how you can press a button on the remote and get a program guide and show descriptions.

Although my old TV is not HD, the channels broadcasting HD programming do give a picture that has an extra crispness to the image. I use the separate video and audio in connectors for a better picture.

Many stations are upgrading their antennas at change over. You may be getting a better signal in fringe areas.

The biggest problem is very fringe area viewers that may have to endure the sudden expense of an antenna tower and high performance antenna to get over the air TV now. It can cost a few thousand to erect one of those steal towers.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Seems like suddenly there will be massive amounts of worthless TVs everywhere.
It depends on your point of view. I personally feel that even when today's tvs can no longer pick up any signal at all it would still be difficult to make the case that they are any more worthless than they are today.