What's latest version/firmware/model for Maha C9000?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, these version numbers change a lot.

I got one two weeks ago that supposedly had the latest firmware (0G0KA) and now see that 0H0AA is out.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
We really won't know the significance of the latest version numbers (if any) until William Chueh returns to let us know.

I guess if anyone has phoned Maha to report the problem of the repeating digits bug and been sent a replacement where the problem is said to be fixed, then we will have some particular milestones in the sequence to go by.

Bones

Enlightened
A reviewer on Amazon, NLee the Engineer, has postulated that the oft discussed characters on the MH-C9000 label are simply a date code, starting with the year, then month, then day.

In the example given, 0G0D01, 0G represents 2007, 0D represents April, and 01 represents the first day of the month.

Presuming 0A0A01 represents 2001 January 01, then the claim seems to have some validity, especially considering that we have only seen codes starting with 0F through 0H, which would represent 2006 through 2008.

Of course, now that the last two numbers seem to have been replaced with a single letter, the latter part of this scheme can no longer apply.

In retrospect, though, I can only recall seeing either 01 or 02 as the trailing digits, so they must have referred to something else anyway.

Perhaps other could chime in on this, especially if they have examples that disprove the validity of this scheme.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is 0G0D01. Not only are there a lot of 01's about, there are a lot of 0D's too. The 0G for the year could be right though.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Bones, that's the most sensible explanation I've seen yet. I'd say it's YYMMB, where Y and M are the year and month of manufacture and B is the batch that was made (or ordered?) in the month. It would be very rare to have more than 2 batches ordered in a single month.

Which issue fixed the repeating digits problem? Was it 0G0IA?

My 0H0AA (from the first batch in January this year?) has a much brighter screen than other versions I've seen, and it makes them look dim and dingy in comparison. Is that a new introduction with this version? It'll be interesting to see how it lights up a room tonight. Anyone want beamshots? ;)

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much brighter screen? :eek: Wow. Mine already lights up a dark room like a 60 W bulb. If it was any brighter I'd need sunglasses to view it :grin2:

Bones

Enlightened
It'll be interesting to see how it lights up a room tonight. Anyone want beamshots?

You might want to follow a precaution tonight that I read somewhere the pilots of the B-52 bomber implemented during the cold war, which is to wear an eye-patch.

This was to protect them against losing both eyes if the cold war turned hot, and they happened to be looking in the direction of a nuclear flash...

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps other could chime in on this, especially if they have examples that disprove the validity of this scheme.
:thinking: Black Rose has 0G0KA. K = 11th letter of alphabet, which doesn't fit with the original 0FAB01 and 02 units, which came out at the end of 2006.

Bones

Enlightened
Black Rose has 0G0KA. K = 11th letter of alphabet, which doesn't fit with the original 0FAB01 and 02 units, which came out at the end of 2006.

Unless I'm missing something, shouldn't 0G0KA be interpreted as G = 2007, K = November, A = Batch One?

It's the 0FAB01 and 0FAB02 that defy the scheme.

However, since all the codes I've seen since these two fit, perhaps MahaEnergy changed their scheme at the beginning of 2007, much like they did when they changed the trailing characters from two numbers to a single letter?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering at one point was whether they were using a hex numbering scheme, but the G and K blew that idea away quickly.

A = batch one makes sense.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless I'm missing something, shouldn't 0G0KA be interpreted as G = 2007, K = November, A = Batch One?
Yes, of course. Probably.

It's the 0FAB01 and 0FAB02 that defy the scheme.

However, since all the codes I've seen since these two fit, perhaps MahaEnergy changed their scheme at the beginning of 2007, much like they did when they changed the trailing characters from two numbers to a single letter?
I don't think they defy they scheme, there have just been two schemes, with the change a few months into 2007. I wonder why they still have two characters for the month though.

BTW, beamshots of the brighter screen posted: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2413737&postcount=356

Oink

Newly Enlightened
I must have the first firmware for this model! Mine is 0FAB01! I wonder if there is a way to return it to get a firmware update

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've been told the firmware can't be updated but many people have returned their chargers for a newer version after having troubles with termination roasting.

Oink

Newly Enlightened
Paulsfinest (where I bought it from) pushed me off to Maha, who hasn't replied my email in a week. Both scored a minus point in my book.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paulsfinest (where I bought it from) pushed me off to Maha, who hasn't replied my email in a week. Both scored a minus point in my book.
Paulsfinest is just the retailer...for a firmware update you have to go to Maha.

I sent a message to Maha quite some time ago about my other Maha charger...never got a response from them.

Bones

Enlightened
Paulsfinest is just the retailer...for a firmware update you have to go to Maha.

I sent a message to Maha quite some time ago about my other Maha charger...never got a response from them.

For what it's worth, those who speak directly to MahaEnergy seem to have better results than those who correspond via email.

While it doesn't seem reasonable for them to replace a charger because it lacks the updated display, they should certainly be amenable to repair or replacement for termination roasting and, perhaps to a lessor degree, even the repeating digits fault.

MahaEnergy customer support page with their toll-free number:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/support.asp

Bones

Enlightened
I must have the first firmware for this model! Mine is 0FAB01! I wonder if there is a way to return it to get a firmware update

Yours is a first edition Oink.

I have one as well, and I refuse to return it for an update.

I use the well regarded Eneloop MQN05 for most of my charging, but as long as the charge current is set at or above .5C, I find the MH-C9000 terminates reliably as well.

If you happen to be in a hurry, its primary charge cyle also provides a more complete charge before switching to the top-off charge.

Most importantly, unlike the revised models which have a 4000mAh maximum cutoff, the first edition has a 20000mAh maximum cutoff.

I'm hoping to capitalize on this fact by utilizing my first edition MH-C9000, and some sort of adapter set-up, to charge the new Eneloop C & D cells when they finally become available to us deprived consumers outside of Asia.

Latest posts