• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What's new on the McGizmo horizon?

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice post, Easy!

I definitely see the point. However, I think with a little care, this will last me a long time. I haven't dropped a light yet. (Why did I type that?? Now it will happen.)

But that being said, I do like this tube alot. It looks great with any head it has on it, and it's still small enough for a pocket carry easily. I like it so much I have tried to order another.

I do think that all of these considerations make a tube like this outside of Don's line of work. His level of 'bombproofness' requires him to not cut any corners where thickness means durability for sure. His line of work is too solid to add a weak link like this might be.

Certainly one can feel the difference between Don's McClicky packs and this 18650 tube, especially empty. Still, I love it.

obi

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking 18650...3v - 9v capacity...XM-L ... titanium ... 27mm head....your custom design...superior to Lunasol and you build it and they will come! PD or McClicky option....Let's really complicate the design!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L based light that has....
1) Regulated 3 speed with buck/boost circuitry.
2) Twisty Action
3) Low at 5lmns, Hi around 300lmns and mid somewhere in between.
4) McGizmo Clip
5) Aluminium with HA3 coating or S30V SS
6) Piston Drive with trit in the tail
7) Crenulated bezel.
8) OP reflector

Just like a PD.

non

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo version of the VME head would be sweet.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The danger with a Ti tube that is very thin near the threads is not so much that you're going to run it over with your car. I take it that you'll probably try to avoid doing that.
More relevant is that if you drop it onto cement/tarmac from a height that it may shear at the thinnest point.

This is why Tranquillity_Base designed a split-series 18650 tube with an adaptor piece and other masters like mirage_man followed his example.

Split body adds resistance.

EX (my L1 bezel w/SST-90 DD): KuKu E-18650 body single piece = 5.35A~5.4A at the tail vs. Aluminum E-18650 Split body = 3.9A~4A at the tail.

the more pieces the more resistance, plus not to mention the added lengh and magnets to reach the (+) side.

One more thing. Unless you see and feel the KuKu Ti6Al4V, this metal is freaking hard or feels really though. I only sold mine cause Ti doesnt take the heat as well as aluminum does.

McGuizmo E-18650 single body please...Maybe the Hardest Ti available will make the thin walls acceptable.:thumbsup:

bigC

easilyled

Flashaholic
the more pieces the more resistance, plus not to mention the added lengh and magnets to reach the (+) side.
bigC

Tranquillity Base has designed his current split-bodies so that no magnets or spacers are required.

In any case though, if a turnkey light is being made, it doesn't have to be E-series compatible, does it?
Then the body can be one piece with thick enough walls.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tranquillity Base has designed his current split-bodies so that no magnets or spacers are required.

In any case though, if a turnkey light is being made, it doesn't have to be E-series compatible, does it?
Then the body can be one piece with thick enough walls.

Very True.....A dedicated light with 18650 body and that 27mm bezel for awesome throw.

I would love to see it as compact as possible. Even a twistie for less resistance and shorter package.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one general feeling is that Don's lights represent a very nice form factor at their current size. With all these great heads and 123 McClicky bodies around, having a supplementary body with a big battery at 3.7V would be an ideal option. If you make it something other than E-series, no one will be able to McLego it with all their current heads. I for one and all about McLego as the way to enjoy Don's creations just a little more.

obi

fyrstormer

Banned
Lots of people are chiming in to support a 1xAA Gizmo, but what they're describing sounds a lot like the Jetbeam E3S. Not that a titanium version wouldn't be nice, but the E3S is both nice and easily affordable by people who can't touch a Gizmo. I'm not sure there's much of a market for a titanium version.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Lots of people are chiming in to support a 1xAA Gizmo, but what they're describing sounds a lot like the Jetbeam E3S. Not that a titanium version wouldn't be nice, but the E3S is both nice and easily affordable by people who can't touch a Gizmo. I'm not sure there's much of a market for a titanium version.

I guess I was thinking more of something like a 1xAA Sundrop (rather than just a JetBEAM E3S in Ti), especially with an XR-U type head ... ?

Not sure of the CRI rating on the Sundrop emitter, but looks like Cree rates the XP-G R4 LED used in the E3S at CRI 70-75.

Last edited:

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about 1xAA McClicky pack + (0.9 ~ 4.2 V) LE that can be fit in mule/haiku/sundrop/or else...

benben_stone

Enlightened
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for a 18650 tube with a crenulated 27 head & twisty action. The main thing, has to be heavy gauge Ti. :thumbsup:

tsl

Enlightened
I'd like to see Don build a successor to the Arc6 (which appears to be discontinued) with better runtimes. Less of a pocket rocket and more functional.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
As for an 18650 pak, it is my opinion that the wall thickness of the tube at the 13/16x20 thread is too thin even if one were to go with a smaller thickness O-ring to increase the root diameter of its groove.
+1

E-series tubes are pretty small at the O-ring groove, with most Surefire tubes measuring .750" OD (and hardly any variation above or below that). For the majority of available 18650's, an inside diameter of .734" is needed, which means leaving a wall thickness at the O-ring of only .008" ... roughly three sheets of writing paper.

Even worse, to fit most every currently available 18650, including the fat cells like RediLast & UltraFire, the ID needs to be about .738", leaving a wall thickness of only .006".

bmcgators98

Enlightened
I just missed (not really because I did not have any money anyway) another LS20 on the market place. I would love to see a new take on the LS20, if it came with an AA McClicky then I think everybody would be happy.

fourdogs

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if anything will ever be an improvement over the Lunasol series. Yes, different but functionally superior probably not. I think Don could sell LS20's and LS27's for the rest of his life. Most people are so fickle. No one seems satisfied with what just works. It's called product churning. It's called new and improved. It's called CAPITALISM :sssh:

You guys can chase rainbows. I'll keep my only McGizmo. The LS27 is imho the pinnacle of what McGizmo stands ( stood ) for. You guys can chase rainbows. I'll chase my dogs with a timeless classic that simply delivers everytime....:)

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamp.

Maybe something similar in design to those Zebralights, or an array of the wide angle 3mm LEDs he uses in his sapphire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbp

Flashaholic
Since we're wishing: 1 cell Ti light, twisty UI, infinitely variable from 0.001 to 1000 lms, I wanna run it on Eneloops, and I'd like to keep it <$300. Think crazy amped up AA Titan....

Hey, we can dream, right? :hahaha: