What's the best emergency survival flashlight?

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
For a bug out bag (BOB) I would suggest a light weight radio that has a built in led flashlight, hand crank and solar panel, and which can charge your cell phone and tablet pc.

Add to that a small 1x AA or 1x AAA aluminum flashlight with automatic SOS and moon light mode. This small flashlight should ALWAYS be attached to your body 24/7. Disasters come often unannounced, and the perfect survival kit is of no use, when you have no time to get it.

Survival and disaster gear should be trained with on a regular basis, or it may not save the life of your loved ones in a panic situation.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I'm surprise this thread has languished in the Personal gadgetry, and non flashlight electronics forum. Moving this to General Flashlights Discussion forum.

Bill

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
A lot of debate on battery type in this thread, and I agree that batteries are the key component in this type of discussion. There are pro's and con's to each type but as technology moves forward the AA lights seem to be catching up with the CR123's. I don't think that the AA(s) are the match for 18650's yet, but its closer in multiple cell lights like the EagleTac SX25A6 than I ever imagined that it would get. In the long run the AA is the world standard for batteries and I don't see that changing. So I would not bet against the little AA. Right now its hard to give up 18650's and 16340's but I imagine that may not be the case in the next few years?

yearnslow

Enlightened
I currently have a C2L-HA with a customlite drop in, an SC1 with the original P60L unit and six CR123's, attached to my bug-out bag. I always have an LX2 on my belt and a Gerber recon for those 'low-light' moments.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what 'the best' flashlight for survival is. For me, I've chosen the E21 and HL21 for my GHB lights. Each is loaded with lithiums and there's an 8 pack of lithium AA's for backup.

These two lights will do 98% of the tasks I need them to do in an emergency. About the only thing they won't do is throw like a big XM-L light, but there's a TK60 next to the drivers seat in my car.

AA, CR123, it's all a personal preference. Thing is AA's are available everywhere, and they come in packs of 2 to 40. CR123 cells are $10 each in Australia, and I've seen them as much as $20 in remote areas. And I don't really think that there's such a huge advantage with them anymore for use with low and medium modes, which is where 90% of your emergency use is going to be.

LGT

Enlightened
The light that you trust the most and have backup batteries for will be your best survival light. Different members will suggest many different lights according to what their preference is.