What's your favorite thing about incandescent lights?

325addict

Enlightened
Back online again... just repaired my blown computer-PSU, no less than TEN fried parts had to be replaced...

back on topic:

For me, the main reason is the color of the light. It is so.... natural!

Every time I switch on a LED flashlight, it's :( WHAT an ugly COLOR!

Sometimes, however, LEDs do have their place, even with me. There's always a small Fenix in my wallet, but.... one is none, two is one, and three is even better, so I always wear two extra incans: I have a wide choice, that will include an E1E, a modified A2 (with REAL warm white LEDs!), a C2 and a C3 Centurion, a 9AN Commander, an M3, M6 and a Megalennium :devil:
Or I can take a MagCharger or a Wolf Eyes M90 Rattlesnake....

More than enough to choose from... I like them all, some due to their compactness (anyone stating there's no EDC-able incan should take a look at that excellent E1E), some due to their brightness (Megalennium with 1185) and some due to their excellent mix of good properties (good blend of runtime, size and brightness? Take a C3 Centurion with P90...)

Timmo.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! factor. I have to say thank you to all the CPF'ers who made it so simple to make a really powerful light without a lot of fuss. All it takes is money and waiting in line.

Frank

lovecpf

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite thing about incandescent's is how simple they are. And easily repaired.

If you are anywhere and your flashlight dies you can fix it. First you check your batteries, then the bulb. Make sure you have another bulb and extra batteries with you. Replace the lamp and you're good to go. Pretty simple. A switch on your incan could go bad, so there is one weak link, but twisty switches seem pretty robust if you stick with them.

What's your favorite thing about incandescent lights?

That's almost exactly what I was going to write:D.

Also very good surface brightness for throw, and lots of lumens for little money:party:!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Their excellent price to performance ratio in terms of throw and output.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bang/bulk, and to a lesser extent, bang/buck. You can build some truly tiny incans with IMR cells that run maybe ten minutes, but oh how glorious those ten minutes are!

Though I have spent nearly as much on the incan setups as a modern P7 would cost, the incans had a lot of fiddling and optimizing along the way. And mine are just that simple. :D

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's something fantastically oldschool about a high-powered incan.

The light, the heat, the theater of it all.

LED's just seem sterile to me. Incan's just seem to have a bit of character about them.

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
To me, an incandescent light is like holding a wooden stick with fire on it. It seems like a more natural source of light is what i guess i'm saying.

Jarski

Newly Enlightened
Colour rendering rules on incans :twothumbs Much better in nature than cool white leds. That's the most important thing for me. Of course simplicity is other thing I like, there is only two things which can fail, bulb and batteries. Both easily replaceable.

Nubo

Enlightened
I like the way powerful incandescent bulbs continue to glow down a few seconds after they're turned off. It's like a little man-made sunset.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The simplicity and the better 3D perspective it gives you.

It's especially important on a tactical light to be able to recognize a friend or foe quickly.

bouncer

Enlightened
Color rendition all the way I only switched to led's because surefire lamps were getting so expensive to replace when they blew. Now I have a ROP low and I love it.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Color rendition all the way I only switched to led's because surefire lamps were getting so expensive to replace when they blew.

How many lamps have you replaced? I've only replaced one in the past ten years and it went after a few minutes of runtime. (was a bad P90 bulb).

I use P90's more than anything, but I use plenty of MN03's, MN02's, P60's, P61's and P91's. I use P90's at work at night on rechargeables. Problem free for years now.

I remember the first time I fired up a P90 on a set of Battery Station RCR123a's. It was amazing to me that you could run a P90 for free!

Of course I moved on to AW RCR123a's and in the past couple of years to AW IMR16340's.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many lamps have you replaced? I've only replaced one in the past ten years and it went after a few minutes of runtime. (was a bad P90 bulb).

I use P90's more than anything, but I use plenty of MN03's, MN02's, P60's, P61's and P91's. I use P90's at work at night on rechargeables. Problem free for years now.

I remember the first time I fired up a P90 on a set of Battery Station RCR123a's. It was amazing to me that you could run a P90 for free!

Of course I moved on to AW RCR123a's and in the past couple of years to AW IMR16340's.
Very well said. I agree 100%. I've had a lot more LED failures than blown incandescent lamp asssemblies...

Cheers.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the way you can scale up the output from incans with a better bulb and more voltage - you just can't match it with LEDs. My brightest incan has 216W of regulated power - no hand held LED that I know of comes close.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I like the way you can scale up the output from incans with a better bulb and more voltage - you just can't match it with LEDs. My brightest incan has 216W of regulated power - no hand held LED that I know of comes close.

x2.... the dollar / Lumen scale tips heavily in favor of Incans once you get into the ~400-500 Lumen range.

Halogen spotlights are the kings. ~2000 Lumens OTF, AC/DC chargers, SLA cell included for $60-$100

Latest posts