What's your favorite thing about incandescent lights?

mdocod

Flashaholic
I like the higher surface brightness combined with the 360 degree (spherical) emission pattern that results in a larger percentage of the total emitted light to be captured and projected by the reflector, rather than emitted as spill beam. Great example of the difference is taking something like a 1.5" reflector with a ~12W incan and comparing it to a P7 in a 2" reflector running around the same 12W of power consumption. The P7 produces more than double the lumens, but the useful range outdoors is basically the same. And the P7 requires a heavier head to dissipate the heat.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kills batteries fast. I love it. Helps me go through my stockpile of old batteries.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Kills batteries fast. I love it. Helps me go through my stockpile of old batteries.

Now that's the spirit!!! Hell Yeah! Charge, Rape and Pillage those batteries without refrain, toss 'em carelessly into landfills, and do your civic duty to keep sanitation engineers employed during this recession! Not to mention it gives all the environmentalists something to worry about and gives meaning to their lives in fighting for a just cause, drafting new regulations, and gleefully imposing their will on all of us moose-shooting neanderthals.

Join us on the dark side...er...umm...wait...we are on the light(er) side....oh....umm....maybe.....never mind, or something. Long live Incands!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started off as a LED guy because of the variety and all the new lights that keep coming out. I didn't like the coldness of the angry blue lights. I tried the warm tints (fyi - 4-7s neutral tint lights are the only ones I still own - they are really nice even in the forrest) but still my wife even side they were harsh and hurt here eyes.

I just love the beauty and warmth of incans - and the runtime isn't as terrible as I had first thought either. I usually carry two lights with me for a walk and can easily get 1-2 hours out of a rechargable setup with a small backup for another 20-30 minutes. Never a blackout here. ;)

I still have a few LEDs and they are fine for indoors, but I love my incans for it warmth and true color rendition.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I count three now.

I'm curious what you are counting as well. For this thread it could be the number of different reasons you found listed for liking incans. When you were counting in another thread, I think you were counting people added to your ignore list, so I give up. :thinking:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's the spirit!!! Hell Yeah! Charge, Rape and Pillage those batteries without refrain, toss 'em carelessly into landfills, and do your civic duty to keep sanitation engineers employed during this recession! Not to mention it gives all the environmentalists something to worry about and gives meaning to their lives in fighting for a just cause, drafting new regulations, and gleefully imposing their will on all of us moose-shooting neanderthals.

Join us on the dark side...er...umm...wait...we are on the light(er) side....oh....umm....maybe.....never mind, or something. Long live Incands!
LOL! :crackup:

Great post!!

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I prefer the warmer colors. I do a lot of caving and using an LED the whole time can seriously give me the blues. The LED's cool colors make you feel that much colder if you're chest deep in cold water. I do use an LED headlamp while caving, but always make sure to have an incandescent back-up to pull out and cheer myself up. :)

rje58

Enlightened
I love the way they make the woods come alive for me, visually. In an urban environment, I find LEDs to be satisfactory for most uses - but superior to incans only in runtime and bulb life, certainly not color rendition. In a suburban environment, LEDs are still fine for most purposes...

...but put me in a rural setting or, most especially, in the woods or the mountains - that's when I really want an incan! LEDs at that point are relegated to my pocket or pack for backup purposes only - if that. I will still prefer an incan even for backup, unless I am going deep enough into the woods or far enough afield that a super long runtime "survival mode" light is a good idea as a backup.

I was fortunate that the first "real" flashlight I had was a SF G2 incan with a P60. This was followed by several LED lights, but once I compared them in the woods to my G2 incan, I bought my absolute favorite lights: a SF 9P and most recently, an SF M3! Love'em - and they love the woods as much as I do.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the way incan light just seems to saturate/penetrate an area...as opposed to LED light, which makes things appear "flat"...to my old eyes anyway. Doesn't mean I don't like LEDs though--each type of light suits different purposes/situations.

what he said.

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Color. Period.
I don't like the heat factor, efficiency vs an LED, or the fact that bulbs burn out.
But the color rendering is beautiful, and incan lights give me a somewhat nostalgic feeling, even if they are top of the line high output Surefires.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the way incan light just seems to saturate/penetrate an area...as opposed to LED light, which makes things appear "flat"...to my old eyes anyway. Doesn't mean I don't like LEDs though--each type of light suits different purposes/situations.

It is absolutely true. I missed this post on the original read and I can tell you, it's not just your eyes. It's everyone's eyes, provided for a few people that have severe vision problems. We all are adapted to see light the same way. We are most sensitive to green light and the warm light that incans put out, especially a hard driven one lets us see the world in the most natural way we can after the sun has gone down.

mwaldron

Enlightened
I like the way that incandescent light penetrates snow fog and particulate matter.

I love the color rendition. Everyone always says it's better outdoors, which is of course correct, but then it dawned on me I like it so much indoors because I painted most of my house in very light earthtones, shades of brown.

I like the ease with which you can focus incandescent light sources. Yes, LEDs are finally getting up to a thousand+ lumens, but I have yet to see anyone collimate these lumens into a real thrower. I admit I have little experience, but I've yet to see any LED that can out-throw my 1185, and that's only a KT4 turbo head.

I think there is a somewhat visceral experience with high power incandescents (and my biggest stick is an 1185 so it's not all that big) going back to controlling fire, etc. It makes the boy in us all giggle. LEDs just don't do that.

All that being said with manufacturers now beginning to dip their feet into the neutral and warm LED waters, I'm probably done with incandescent lights. My A2s are awesome, I'll probably have them forever, but I don't EDC them anymore. My Red A2 is on my nightstand, but that's the only one in daily service. My Megallenium 1185 only comes out for special occasions (although PWM brightness control is awesome in incandescent), and my 6P has been modified with a Malkoff M60W.

My EDC is a Ra 100ww, and my two latest purchases are Neutral Quarks (Mini and RGB).

I just don't see any new incandescent tickling my fancy, I have all that I could possibly need.

Now, HID, there's another animal...

Latest posts