Where are SureFire Lights/Components Manufactured?

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT?
Surefire lights are not entirely made in USA??
Man... I´ll never gonna buy another SF light again! :p

Just kidding...

C´mon, does it really matters? I mean, there is a lot of excelent lights "not made in USA" around here. Nowadays, I think it´s difficult to find a 100% pure national electronic product. Everything has a tiny piece inside that was built in another country...

In time, I wish there is a top notch german LED tactical flashlight manufacturer. I mean... a country that has factories like Black und Decker, Heckler und Koch, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedez, Walther, Volkswagen, Schneider Kreuznach, Henckels... surely can shake the LED light world industry! German industries kicks ***!

Size15's

Flashaholic
In time, I wish there is a top notch german LED tactical flashlight manufacturer. I mean... a country that has factories like Black und Decker, Heckler und Koch, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedez, Walther, Volkswagen, Schneider Kreuznach, Henckels... surely can shake the LED light world industry! German industries kicks ***!
They would not be able call the flashlight "made in Germany" because just like SureFire they would be using Cree or SSC LEDs.

boosterboy

Enlightened
A couple of things though....

The only thing that has changed about the World's economy is the speed with which products get to consumers. Even thousands of years ago, folks could still get products from half-way around the planet. It just took considerably longer. Also, for some bizarre reason, it's now called a global economy. Hell, I live on planet, not a globe. A huge planet where some folks like to rip off consumers with well-made knock-offs. (Sometimes not so well-made). There was a huge rumor on CPF about a certain well-known dealer peddling possibly fake Tiablo A9 models.... Then someone who very recently joined our community, bought about 6 of them. And each had the same individualized serial number. Ooops!

Also, where something is made can indeed play a HUGE part regarding whether it's made correctly. How many CPFers are going to buy several cases of dirt cheap, Made in China, Primary CR123 cells off eBay; to use in their multi-cell lights? I'd wager, very few indeed. No one wants to take a chance on their favorite light possibly exploding like a pipe-bomb.

BatteryStation CR123 cells are now Made in America. They used to be Made in China. (Yup, a customer's flashlight went "boom," and many of us got to read about it on CPF).

Not every nation will give you what you want, and make it properly. I'm not picking on China specifically. (They do indeed make some quality products).

A few months ago, there were tainted tomatoes coming into America. People got so ill, that even fast-food places stopped serving tomatoes with their burgers. The culprit?.... A certain nation that was importing the tomatoes into America.... A nation that doesn't even come close to having the type of protections in place that America has, with regards to agricultural practices. A nation where they use human "fertilizer" to grow crops. And if someone has a disease when they go out into a field to "fertilize" the tomatoes, well; turns out that disease ends up in the tomatoes. And then ends up in the people who eat them.

You should definitely care where certain things are made.

I'm not implying that origin of product doesn't matter. What i mean is, some components of a product needs to be made in a place with real QC standards.

More critical parts that require higher degree of QC need to be made in a place that can maintain those standards.

Minor parts don't need to be.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm not implying that origin of product doesn't matter. What i mean is, some components of a product needs to be made in a place with real QC standards.

More critical parts that require higher degree of QC need to be made in a place that can maintain those standards.

Just as well it's only the LEDs that aren't made in the USA then isn't it.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
They would not be able call the flashlight "made in Germany" because just like SureFire they would be using Cree or SSC LEDs.

Are you trying to say that Surefire lies when they print "Made in USA" in their flashlights, then ? :sssh:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire aren't because they don't.

Wow! You´re right!
I really thought that they print "made in USA" somewhere...

I guess I was mistaken because I read several times here in CPF guys that only buy SF lights because it´s "made in USA" lights.

Maybe they´re just fooling themselves, then... :shrug:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think it's really quite simple: If a component vital to the construction and/or operation of the product, such as a flashlight's LED is not made in the USA even if the rest of the flashlight is then the FTC 'rules' do not allow the manufacturer to state 'Made in the USA'.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

They don't ??

If you're in the military or on a SWAT team, and a minor part on your duty-light fails; you could likely end up dead. Or perhaps you have a different job in which reliable illumination is critical. Failure of a minor part means the light might not work when needed.

I want every part of my light to be built with high QC standards. And, I'm willing to pay a premium for that.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a legitimate question. I'm assuming that a good portion of the electronic components in their lights are imported - I've long figured that. I just hope that as much of their product line that can be made domestically is made domestically.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's really quite simple: If a component vital to the construction and/or operation of the product, such as a flashlight's LED is not made in the USA even if the rest of the flashlight is then the FTC 'rules' do not allow the manufacturer to state 'Made in the USA'.

How then does one reconcile this? And this? Seriously though, do I have a misunderstanding of where the Nichia LED's and various other LED's are made or is there some loophole in the FTC's requirements that doesn't qualify the LED bulb itself to be a component "vital to the operation of the product?"

Just what am I missing?

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
How then does one reconcile this? And this? Seriously though, do I have a misunderstanding of where the Nichia LED's and various other LED's are made or is there some loophole in the FTC's requirements that doesn't qualify the LED bulb itself to be a component "vital to the operation of the product?"

Just what am I missing?
Well Arc got themselves into one legal mess - who is to say they wouldn't have got themselves into another if they trod on any other flashlight manufacturer's toes?

And Tektite state "(bulbs come from overseas)". Has their claim of Made in the USA been challenged to see whether this qualified claim and how they ensure it is understood is sufficient? If they've not trod on any other flashlight manufacturer's toes that is willing to spend the money to challenge them...

bagman

Enlightened
Yeah I know. The percentage keeps falling each year... Sometimes I get the impression I'm the only carnivore in a group of vegetarians :candle:
:crackup:

Nice one Al, sounds like you wont be going hungry though :D

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
I don't know where other components are made, but R30 assembly from my 3P is made in Mexico.

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't know where other components are made, but R30 assembly from my 3P is made in Mexico.
The Lamp Assembly components (reflector, spring contacts etc) are made in the USA. The bulb and final focusing/assembly is performed by Carley in their Plant just over the border.
Some Lamps Assemblies are sent back to SureFire to complete the assembly there after Carley add the bulb.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The Lamp Assembly components (reflector, spring contacts etc) are made in the USA. The bulb and final focusing/assembly is performed by Carley in their Plant just over the border.
Some Lamps Assemblies are sent back to SureFire to complete the assembly there after Carley add the bulb.

:confused:

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking it would be more cost-effective to have the entire lamp assembly made in one place. :thinking:

Size15's

Flashaholic
:confused:

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking it would be more cost-effective to have the entire lamp assembly made in one place. :thinking:
The trouble is that SureFire don't make their own bulbs so they have to subcontract it out to a company that can bulbs to SureFire's specifications, and to pot and focus them (in the case of the MN reflectorless type).
I understand that if the SureFire Lamp Assembly doesn't have "Made in Mexico" stamped on it then the only part Carley do is pot the bulb in and focus.
The P60-type Lamp Assemblies return to SureFire for SureFire to add the reflector and focus the beam.
Regardless of which company completes the final assembly, the components are supplied by SureFire, either manufactured themselves or subcontracted from US suppliers.

Al