who is the genius?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
who decides to rearange a store? move everything after i figured out where it was all at? QUIT IT

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Items in stores are placed where they are according to market research. They are designed to make people buy as much stuff as possible. By rearranging the isles they also intentionally slow down customers since, the longer you spend in the store, the more stuff you are likely to buy. Same reason shopping centers have their toilets on the 3rd floor.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

it's called Merchandising and it's very intentional. It's to get you to wander around and NOT find what you came for.
Then with all that wandering around, they want you to buy other stuff also.

When a store does that, I'm so pissed off I leave.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya as soon as we get the hang of things they change. Ever wonder why our keyboard is designed and organized like it is? Believe it or not it's because when women were typing on a typewriter they got so fast it would jam up the keys. So they spread them around to slow them up😂

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever wonder why our keyboard is designed and organized like it is? Believe it or not it's because when women were typing on a typewriter they got so fast it would jam up the keys. So they spread them around to slow them up😂
A change of layout would only slow someone down until they learn the new layout. QWERTY was invented in the 19th century, long before touch typing became common. A popular theory for the QWERTY layout is that it reduces jamming of the type bars because it places the most commonly used pairs of letters apart from one another & the letters on different rows. Others claim the exact opposite by saying common letter-pairs are placed intentionally closer to one another to make typing more efficient. Who knows.

You can write the word "Typewriter" using only the top row on your keyboard. Whether or not this was actually to make it easier for a salesman (who were unfamiliar with the layout) to demonstrate the machines by typing that word is unclear.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem when there is a clear shopping list and a limited budget (or a strict wife who controls expenses) :cool:

Changing the habitual way makes spatial thinking work, which can be useful in the prevention of Parkinson's

Of course, they only need to rearrange the stores for men. Women, by nature, have to look at everything.

shoppingmap.jpg

Truth be told, the woman never did find the right pair of pants.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Once Sears closed I was good to go. I used to hang out in the tool section and spend at least an hour there. I could spend half a day in Radio Shack. If they rearranged it made it more fun.

I like going into Lowes and asking "where are the screws?" and hear "in hardware". Then I say "but this is a hardware store". The young pimple faced kid says "hmmm, good point, try row X"....

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I hate it when stores do this. My local drugstore did a complete rearrangement recently. It makes me buy less stuff there because I'm not going to go searching for something that I used to be able to find easily.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

In my post above, I said how I leave when a store does this, let me clarify::
It's not like I can't figure out where the cereal is when Walmart moves stuff around,, no, it's a regional home improvement store that lost their mind on doing this.

It's the type of store which you go when needing to fixing something, when your in a bind & pressed for time.
You go in there and everything is in a different spot, can't find anything, even the employees don't know where stuff is.
Talking with an employee, they were saying everyone is complaining.
THEN eight months later, they rearrange again making it even worse! No logic

I stopped going there a few years ago.

**Now I drive further to a similar store knowing where everything is,, and with the time saved, just maybe I pick something else up.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When our two sons were young they'd accompany me to Home Depot. We'd walk every aisle, exploring everything that attracted their attention.

Good times.
Yeah, Good times!

Now they just explore the contents of your shed. They might exclaim "Hey Dad, I could really use this at my house. You'll know where to find it if you ever need it back."

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When our two sons were young they'd accompany me to Home Depot. We'd walk every aisle, exploring everything that attracted their attention.

Good times.
Around 2015 I could spend an hour in home depot on the flashlight row. One thing I like about home depot.... plywood is on row X, toilet parts row Y, screw drivers on row Z, every time.

My first time in Harbor Freight? I heard "sir we're closing now, you need to check out or leave".

raggie33

*the raggedier*
No one on earth shops faster then me I almost jog thru the store i hate it unless it's a computers store i can stay there hours omg I miss fry's