Why are flashlights so interesting? Why are LED flashlights a hobby?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find led flashlights interesting because they work correctly. Dependable, long battery life, and that allows me to do things and not be limited to daylight. They are a very useful tool.
As far as led lights being a hobby, not really for me. I read and post on CPF because I am always looking for new and better lights & ideas. I do not know anyone who owns expensive CPF style lights besides myself and people I have gifted lights to. Local store lights are what people I know have. An $80 dollar flashlight is crazy for most people I know.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I had been into flashlights in my teen years (no internet) and that was just a 6 cell maglite. That was the best flashlight that I thought existed. Then, ten years ago I started working third shift security at a hospital and the college which was across the street. We were issued mini maglites. The mini maglite didn't do much when checking the dark hallways or the dimly lit campus. I then went online because there had to be small bright flashlights out there. Thats when I discovered this forum. I bought a Surfire G2 and was hooked, couldn't believe how bright it was for the size. It was only 65 lumens. I know carry at work a 760 lumen Fenix TK 45, 650 lumen Solarforce L2P and a three mode 1000 lumen Solarforce L2T.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an interesting topic. I have to agree sometimes that it seems like an odd hobby to have sust well visited forums. It really has nothing to do with hobbyists appreciating the "good stuff" vs the general public.

There are budget flashlight enthusiasts as well.

Personally I'm hoping the tube sock hobbyists catch up! My socks are wearing out and I may be interested in that market soon. What thread count should I get? Which tube socks are the best and which should I avoid. When my life depends on it are there some tube socks that are more reliable? :)

My neighbors make fun of my tube sock hobby but just as soon as their "crap" socks have a whole in the heel I'm the first one they come to looking for "quality" socks. :)

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a basic level a light is just a tool. The big difference is that as a tool your light makes it possible to use all of your other tools in the dark. That makes it an uber-tool.

People into flashlights are doers of things.

Damn, exactly what I wanted to say in totally different words...

I also wanted to say that anything we do requires us to see to do it properly. Turning darkness into day is like the ultimate power that gives us the rest of our normal powers back. We can even decide what stays in the dark. It's almost a god-like feeling that the ultimate last barrier of darkness has been breached, but that is all subconscious stuff. I made a thread that explains all this better in here

AND

A flashlight can make you yearn for the darkest night of the year, but the toilet plunger won't make you crave for a clogged toilet.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
It really has nothing to do with hobbyists appreciating the "good stuff" vs the general public.

There are budget flashlight enthusiasts as well.

Interesting point. The same (budget) lights might cost 2-3x via the brick and mortar retail, but that still wouldn't be that much compared to whats already out there (in the stores). So the difference must be something else. Making 10M lights for such a rollout would lower the price even further, seemingly wiping out the relevance of us being here. So why CPF, if not for that?

First and foremost, there's a dynamism. The rapid exchange an improvement on ideas that only come when people are interacting directly. But more than that, there is a natural advantage to smaller markets - speed. Even if 80% of those 10M lights sell in the first year, thats still 2M lights sitting around the next year, on pegs, in boxes, filling up warehouses. Along comes the next 10M lights, making the 2M obsolete. Expecting that, bigger companies have bigger timelines, and we complain they are 'out of touch' and their stuff is 'out of date'.

Smaller companies are more agile, changing to newer stuff in a matter of months (or even weeks), but any smaller company will have the same problem if they are successful enough to become the next larger company. And the best way smaller, more agile companies can reach enough people in enough places, without going full scale, are places like this.

Personally I'm hoping the tube sock hobbyists catch up! My socks are wearing out and I may be interested in that market soon. What thread count should I get? Which tube socks are the best and which should I avoid. When my life depends on it are there some tube socks that are more reliable? :)

You want crew socks, something with a formed heal. More durable and comfortable. ;)

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened

My neighbors make fun of my tube sock hobby but just as soon as their "crap" socks have a whole in the heel I'm the first one they come to looking for "quality" socks. :)

:crackup:Awesome! That sounds too familiar.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fell in love with flashlights when I first saw a Minimag Light back in the early 80's. I later fell in love with guns, knives, & anything gear related too. My love for flashlights was reignited when I found a Fenix light in 2006. I now own more lights than I need, but still believe I need another one...ha.

I agree that most folks on CPF seem to me to be "doers of things" as "Sub_Umbra" suggested above. When I'm buying flashlights or other gear, I'm really buying the adventure. When I picture my new light, I'm picturing it being used on my next many trips, and the role it will serve me & my family in on those trips and around the house. But, camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing, & travel in general are all what really excite me, and I crave the best tools for those trips.

Last edited:

Alland44

Newly Enlightened
I like controlling the darkness. "Be light", he commanded, and there was light !

I have allways been interested in flashlights and I have bought many, many lights in supermarkets and so.
I didn`t really know why. Most of them I have given to family and friends, but when i decided to invest i my EDC light (noname about 250 lumens)
I suddenly saw the ligth. I started to buy better and better flashlights, and discovered that I was not alone. 6-7 guys on my work, also has this interest and
now we exchange informations about our byings and so. In an other forum, I visit daily, I popped the question, and they came forward. More than I ever expected.

But I get many negative expressions about this hobby. "Why are you doing this" - "What is it good for"

I usually answer "The only difference between a man and a boy, is the price of their toys" !

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
My interest in flashlights started when I got lost in the wilderness at night with no light (more than once)

Since then I have been looking to get lost :)

bstrickler

Enlightened
Besides.. I heard it is bad for CFL bulbs to be turned on/off... $50 flashlight to save a $5 CFL!! :candle:

Lol. That's usually what I do. When I'm home alone, the lights are usually turned off, and I navigate the house with a flashlight. Just waiting for the day a police officer knocks on my door, thinking I'm a burglar! Then I'll have to show him my collection, and electric bill. :cool:

I like things that go bang. I like sharp things. I like bright things. For me, this is the holy trinity of hobbies.

I think that will have to become my new sig line!

Damn, exactly what I wanted to say in totally different words...

I also wanted to say that anything we do requires us to see to do it properly. Turning darkness into day is like the ultimate power that gives us the rest of our normal powers back. We can even decide what stays in the dark. It's almost a god-like feeling that the ultimate last barrier of darkness has been breached, but that is all subconscious stuff. I made a thread that explains all this better in here

AND

A flashlight can make you yearn for the darkest night of the year, but the toilet plunger won't make you crave for a clogged toilet.

Well said! That's exactly what I do. Wait for the night, so I can turn it into day!

I've been a member since '08, but loved flashlights for as long as I can remember. I started out with the typical Maglite, then my first "real" LED flashlight was a Trustfire TR-801, which is wimpy by todays standards, but was reliable (used 7135 regulators)!

Now I'm waiting for Jesus to finish cutting my 4D down, so I can extend my 6D hotwire. Back when I got into this hobby, I would think spending $300+ on a flashlight was nuts. Now, I don't bat an eye at spending $60-$100 on one, because I know it will survive whatever I throw it at.

~Brian

mhs

Newly Enlightened
Great thread, it's the reason of why we are now on this forum. Humans perceive 83% of informations by sight and we have sun light at only half of the time, that's a fact. Moreover there are places we want to explore, but where sun beam never reaches. Without artificial source of light our egsistence wouldn't be so easy :sick2:. Light simply gives us ability to interact with environment. If you have reliable flashlight on you all the time, the darkness will never suprise you. It lets stay conscious and confident to simply know what's going on. That's for me that feeling of having power in the palm of my hand, ready to be aimed and fired up at any moment to resolve uncertainty caused by darkness. It's quite deep thought but that's why flashlights always excited me :).

Being more down to earth, flashlights are just extremely useful devices and using them can give a lot of pleasure and impress others as well. In addition these little gizmos have so many attributes to compare them to each other... All it makes me want to try new ones/modify/build/test/play with them. That's really entertaining hobby :D.

Bigpal

Enlightened
...and we have sun light at only half of the time...

Interesting thought. It's artificial lighting the rest of the time. Even my dog benefits from flashlights because I get to enjoy the walk just as much as he does.