Why are flashlights so interesting? Why are LED flashlights a hobby?

edpmis02

Enlightened
Flashlights won't chop you up in little pieces or sue you for your last dime if you decide to "upgrade" to a newer model. :crackup:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Lol. That's usually what I do. When I'm home alone, the lights are usually turned off, and I navigate the house with a flashlight. Just waiting for the day a police officer knocks on my door, thinking I'm a burglar! Then I'll have to show him my collection, and electric bill. :cool:

~Brian

That is totally me. Never use house lighting when I can use a flashlight. A great post comment you made, and it truly exemplifies what a true Flashaholic is about.

Bill

justartifacts

Newly Enlightened
A single LED light can be several times lighter than a frequent filament light, yet uses much smaller power and gives off smaller warm.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, no & maybe……

There was a time not too long ago where most households had at least one, and then in the age of miniaturization and fast moving technology, its now possible for every person on the planet to own one and carry it with them all the time should they wish.

But am I talking about flashlights?

Or is it the phone? wait maybe a camera? television, stereo or computer perhaps?
That first sentence makes sense whichever of those you care to apply it to.

I was thinking recently that eventually, there will be a light the size of a grain of rice, powerful enough to light up a soccer field.
Size, power and cost will eventually disappear as a limiting factor.

The combination of function and economics is still the driving force in many purchasing decisions and when it comes to the mass, it would seem illogical to bet against human nature and economics changing significantly just for flashlights.

If a $500 home entertainment system is 80% as good as the next highest grade system priced at $50,000, then its likely that the $500 system will win the mass market share.
That being said, there is always room for niche markets, for aficionados, for collectors, for audiophiles and for flashaholics.

We now live in the era of BEST.

Its just as easy logistically speaking to find and buy the best as it is to buy the worst.
They are both just one click away.

There is mass and there is best.

Its unlikely that I will ever want to buy a walkman, or MP3 player as a standalone again.
My iPhone is just too convenient like that.

I would probably never want to EDC a portable TV with me 24/7 but as long as there is one in my phone, Im certainly happy to have it with me.

For now, I still prefer a digital SLR camera to a phone camera but if the quality and function were the same, I may not bother with the SLR except on very special occasions.

To most people, the masses perhaps, a camera is nothing more than a means to an end.
A device they can use to record memories and produce photos.
The easiest, most convenient way to do that, will win most of the time.

Arguably, flashlights are the same.
The flash on most phones is enough of an EDC for the masses and it will only get better.

If every Tom, **** and Harry, could light up a football field, with the push of a button on their phone, does that change things for you? Will anyone still be impressed with a 500 lumen AAA? Something to think about perhaps.

The fascination with flashlights, Im sure a part of it stems from the godly power of turning night into day, and part of it from the love of all things that use batteries, and part of it from being able to call them gadgets, and part of it from being an adults version of lego, and part of it from being somewhat of a McGyver and part of it still from being the person who comes to the rescue, and part of it from the satisfaction of seeing people go "whoaaaah" thats bright and…..

The one thing to count on though, is evolution.
The hobby will continue to evolve, and we are truly on the verge of a magical age.

Imagine being the first with a 3D Holographic flashlight.
The one that allows you to disintegrate clouds at will or just project a perfect blue summery sky over a gloomy winters cloudy day.
Or how about a flashlight where the beam is so powerful, it can actually move/propel objects?
Perhaps the ultimate might then be a flashdark.
The tool you use to project a dark beam because its just too bright!
Perfect for cooling things down in the desert or hot summer sun.

We still have a few good years ahead of us at the very least, and if I have things my way, we shall continue to wield the new, the small, and the blissful for the foreseeable future.

tgwnn

Bl@ckR0ck

Newly Enlightened
My interest in flashlights has been years in the making and is closely tied to my every day carry. I've always had and liked flashlights but never had anything quality and nothing I'd carry with me. I used to carry a flashlight more but it was always a tiny maglite and eventually my iPhone... So while the maglite was better than the phone it was never good enough to justify another item to pocket.

I'd say the hobby with LED's probably really started with lighters. I've got a small collection of vintage lighters and over time I realized that I really appreciated a quality piece. Looking for that same quality feel and appreciation moved onto knives. I've had a number over the years, but probably nothing more than a cheap $30 blade until I bought a Microtech followed by a Protech. I used to carry one of the razor blade knives daily which was good for work, but not so nice looking or ideal for daily tasks. So my EDC evolved over time until I realized how much I enjoyed having and carrying a few really key items with me every day. That's what got me looking for a new light and one smaller and better than the Maglite or iPhone I'd been working with.

I've always looked at CPF for idea's on LED's since I've been tinkering with them for years for camping in my old VW camper, but nothing related to flashlights. So with a new appreciation for quality EDC items I decided I'd see what it was all about and bought a couple nice lights based off what I could find here. Just like all other items I'm simply hooked. A good lighter gives me fire when I need it and a quality knife cuts through all the little things that pop up each day, but my light keeps me going when the sun goes down. I've also got kids now and found a nice flashlight is key since I seem to be the only one awake late at night. It allows me to shuffle around the house closing things up, checking on everyone and all the while I never have to kick on a big light and wake people up.

So I'd say the functionality and usefulness of a flashlight is second only to my knife but that the quality and power in a new Cree XM-L LED makes it worthy of a collection and an addictive hobby.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's such a basic and essential need. Except for the blind, sight is most people's main sense. Being able to produce light is right up there with being able to produce fire, and right up there with the ability to concentrate force (lever) or to split an object with an acute angle (cutting tool) or to join two things (needle and thread, cord, epoxy), or to isolate and contain/carry a solid or a liquid (pot, bag) or block light, wind or rain (tarp, tent, rain coat), etc., etc.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things changed for me with the LED. I bought a 6D mag 20 years ago and proudly displayed its use on a daily basis. Other lights I recall as a kid always got 'sickly dim' and then another problem aside from dead bateries was a dead bulb!
The LED is a significant breakthrough in that for the first time (aside from flouresent tubes etc) light is created without using heat to generate light. The ability to artificially create light is amazing! with the improvement in color and power and run times things only got more interesting. Add precision machined fine metal parts with superior optics and it is an incredible 'space age' device lighting the horizon of yet unknown historic scientific discoveries to come ahead. When GREEN 532 nm became available that also greatly improved my quality of life. I compare the LED to the wheel in it's significance to humanity. Wheels of course move the world and most of human events but a wheel can not HEAL the sick like LEDs are now able to do for some cases.When NASA sent a spacecraft to land on the surface of Mars, the lighting was LED! LEDs on Mars! how cool! and since it's on Mars reliability is a concern since a service call is out of the question.
Other personal safey enhancements through LED technology include the strobe, and beacon settings. A discretely used LED flash can also help get service in some busy drinking establishments. Other reasons to always EDC LED lights at all time include helping less enlightened individuals locate lost items. Other times an unlit bathroom could be encountered on the road so an LED light is most helful . Quality precision engineering makes holding and operating some LED flashlights a real pleasure! A cool EDC LED can really enhance a formal outfit on special occasions like a $1000+ Boss suit and Sunawayman L10 in Fenix P-1 holster on belt.... sharp!

Last edited:

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
For the life of me I cannot really pinpoint where my interest in flashlights came from. My earliest memory are the 3D/4D Maglites that my dad used to carry as part of his job (LEO) and keep around the house though my interest in these lights was less about the power or beam, and rather about the fact that they were sturdy enough to whack anyone on the head with them. I still have one of these Maglites on top of some drawers in my kitchen.

After that the earliest memory was buying a Fenix PD20 R2 which I probably still have lying in a drawer somewhere, that was my only light before I bought a 4Sevens Quark 123 when they were first released. Running around in forests and towns, and defeating the forces of darkness while playing the video game 'Alan Wake' then caused me to buy a few more flashlights and right now I'm looking to expand my collection a bit further.

Personally the over-riding motivation for me at least in carrying a flashlight, or any light for that matter as a EDC is for personal safety primarily.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
What an awesome Sunday read. Toilet plungers don't deserve the bad wrap you guys give them (I love mine) and as far as tube socks, nothing beats the snap on socks. I replaced all my socks last Thanksgiving with Snap-On's. Just this weekend my Fiancee asked when I bought new socks again. When I told her these were the same old ones she honestly thought I was lying. I swear those socks were designed by God himself. That being said...

All my life, flashlights were something you didn't have to spend much money on. You could always find one laying around and new batteries often cost more than new lights that CAME WITH batteries (albeit cheap batteries). Then, 5 + years ago I started working as a Fiber Optic Technician. This involved working on the "power" lines next to the road every night between midnight and 6 AM. I started with mags believing they were the best of the best combining light with self defense. Then one day at Walmart I found the Coleman Big Bubba Maxx AA powered light and was floored by the beam. Later someone told me I could upgrade the Mag so in came terralux. By that time I knew there had to be a lot I was missing and I found this place.

I spent the majority of my years working out of an older truck with less than adequate lighting for a night shift vehicle. I couldn't understand how my colleagues all got by with nothing more than a 6V light or a Mag. I always wanted more. In that old bucket truck, I developed a collection of dozens of (rather crappy) lights rolling around and always had one I regarded as a good one.

Now that I have you guys things are different. Everyone thinks I'm crazy but the addiction keeps going. In a month I've picked up a Fenix, a Jetbeam, a Dereelight, several Rominsens, a Shiningbeam, Aurora, and probably 8 others. I love the concept of dozens of GOOD lights. I use them daily and beg the power to go out on occasional weekends (just to be smug towards those who called me crazy). Its amazing how much easier life is when you have these tools scattered around you. I've thought of dozens of uses that wouldn't have been possible with light technology 10 years ago. Every boat should have a flare gun with some flares...OR one helluva thower! The same light could help when someone gets separated and lost from a camping group. Still, most importantly, these lights are my tools, they earn my income, and they are not something to skimp on. I consider myself the best fiber tech in the area and part of that entails being the best prepared for any situation. Thank you CPF. You've made me more efficient and made me better.

Prior to finding CPF, pills were something that worked best when combined with alcohol. Now pills are something that work best when combined with batteries.

Last edited:

baxtrom

Newly Enlightened
Why do you think people are so interested in flashlights, to the point of doing LOTS of research and making it a significant hobby(like us)?:thinking:

Flashlights are cool. They may potentially assist survival in unfriendly environments, they don't require license to carry or own, they are reasonably hi tech while still affordable. Together with a knife a flashlight forms the basic EDC. Old flashlights carry a special charm difficult to define. But I see you point regarding collecting - myself I spent a lot of money on bootleg cd's when I was a teenager. Odd live recordings with Iggy & The Stooges, Jimi Hendrix and The Rolling Stones fill up a box or two in the attic. Sounds mostly like :green:

Personally, I'm not sure why I'm into collecting things. My zodiac is cancer and we are supposed to be collectors I guess. Might also be a touch of Aspergers. That would explain some things.. :naughty:

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
In the early 1980s I saw a guy at work with a mini-mag light on his belt and was VERY excited. I worked in attics a lot running wire and loved the idea of a small light on my belt that was that bright (2xAA with bulb). Of course I was in a huge attic once FAR away from the entrance hole when the bulb blew. Pitch blackness most of the way back to the hole. Not fun. About 6 years ago I decided to finally buy one very nice pocket knife and found that there were lots and lots of knives to suck on your wallet and people with empty wallets. I got hooked. I found myself NEEDING another knife. Through that I found out about flashlight nuts also. Just as bad as knife nuts. So of course I realized I NEEDED a nice pocket flashlight. The first AAA or AA LED light I got blew my mind at the brightness. Oh yeah, I did upgrade earlier my mini-mag to a 1 watt LED bulb which was great at the time. Then I got interested in lights, rechargable batteries and chargers. I've gone through 5 or 6 EDC lights and settled on two. My favorite is a Fenix LD01 (1xAAA w/clip). It's perfect for me. Three brightnesses and that's it. Of course I have a Spyderco Jester knife attached to it for EDC. :) I also got a Fenix E11 for a little extra brightness but no big deal. Now I'm expecting an OLIGHT T15. My need for flashlights is more an EDC issue than for long distance needs. Honestly, the Fenix LD01 is bright enough for my yard also. Seldom do I need to see more than 20 feet away.

Anyway, I can see how this can be a very interesting hobby. There's no way anyone needs more than 3 or 4 lights for real. Most people need less IMO. Maybe some jobs would require more but I don't know what they are. The only light I lack for around the house is a large one. I've got the Fenix LD40 in mind. It's not huge but bright enough for me. The features that are available now are amazing also. I think one will change the baby's diaper. :) I mean who needs a flashlight that will set the paperwork on your desk on fire? :eek::D But my Mag-lite with 3 D batteries isn't very bright and makes my arm tired holding it up. :) I'll be getting something to replace it in there near future I think.

Jack

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in a huge attic once FAR away from the entrance hole when the bulb blew. Pitch blackness most of the way back to the hole. Not fun.

Jack

Right here is the root of the thing.

Firstly, to be left in darkness is not a desirable circumstance. In particular when the way forward is obstacle strewn. In that situation I doubt if there was much ambient light coming up through the hatch from down below.

Secondly, the desire not to be left in the dark might make us have not one torch, but two. Then you get interested in the wide variety available, buy a couple more and BANG! You're hooked.

Finally the only thing that makes you happy is not just owning these fantastic devices, but in purchasing new ones.

I (and every flashaholic I have ever met) have so many more torches than I can ever use already, and yet I hanker after more of them on a daily basis! Usually I can survive without purchasing any for up to a month or two, but it doesn't take much to tip me over to the dealers and paypal. Only a good comment on this forum or others like it.

Is it a bad thing? I don't know. All my lights seem to eventually filter through to my friends and family so they do get used ultimately. I cannot bring myself to think about the thousands I have spent over the years since I discovered this place!

Generally happy with the addiction, there are, after all, much worse things to do with your hobbies. At least this one is quite socially acceptable and useful to boot.

Anyway, over to my collection of nasal hair clippers...

fyrstormer

Banned
Yes, power LED flashlights are an exciting hobby now, these days, and manufacturers are young (eagletac and 4sevens are ~4years old, Fenix being the oldest noteworthy with 6years of market presence). Soon enough we'll see a consolidation on the market (byebye Rofis, Lumapower, Skilhunt and Bronte), a decrease in prices, and lots of former flashaholics moving on and dropping this hobby.
The hobby won't go away, it will just move up-market as the vulgar masses gain access to all the cheap, just-good-enough lights they could ever want. Hence why it's good to have multiple hobbies. Between my interests in bicycling, remote control cars, sustainable technology, and computer programming, I should remain sufficiently entertained for at least the next couple decades.

Crap, I'm turning 30 this year. Man oh man.

fyrstormer

Banned
Due to observations 1 through 4 it's difficult to imagine the Flashoholic Apocalypse presented by Shlem. I have tried and tried to get people to see the value of carrying a flashlight or knife but very few have seen the benefit, even when the cost was essentially zero. The same people I have gifted Mini-Mags and Swiss Army knifes to will call me "McGyver" DECADES after I've set them up with their own when I'm able to solve a problem with a simple tool that isn't in my drawer at home.
The Flashaholic Apocalypse won't be caused by cheap lights. It will be caused by the statistical inevitability that someday all the Li-Ion batteries in the world will fail catastrophically at the same instant. Woe be unto the unfortunate souls who haven't invested in super-strong titanium lights when that happens.

fyrstormer

Banned
...the desire not to be left in the dark might make us have not one torch, but two. Then you get interested in the wide variety available, buy a couple more and BANG! You're hooked.
For me, the odd thing is, while I can entertain myself for a couple days at a time admiring all the fancy knives in the latest Boker catalog, or the fancy tools in the latest Garrett Wade catalog, or the fancy bikes in the latest Bicycling magazine, or the fancy pens in the latest Levenger catalog...only flashlights have I actually collected. Virtually everything else that costs a significant amount of money I only buy if I can think of a legitimate use ahead of time, even if thinking about all the available options fascinates me endlessly. For some reason, I'm not content until I own the flashlights that appeal to me, even if I know they'll sit around.

I own a few knives, but I only bought them because each new one was actually better than the last. I only carry one -- a Kershaw Chive -- and I have no burning desire to buy anything more than a couple spares lest the model be discontinued.

I own a few multi-tools, but as with the knives, I only bought them because each new one was better than the last. I only carry one -- a Sebertool M4 -- and I have no burning desire to buy any others, not even spares.

I own two bicycles -- one is my first "grownup" bike that I bought with money earned from bagging groceries in high school, though all of the parts have been upgraded since then, and the other is a new bike with a nifty all-wheel-drive system that I treated myself to because I hadn't bought a new bike in 14 years. I have no burning desire to buy any others.

I own two fountain pens -- both clear plastic "demonstrator" pens made by Pilot -- and I have no burning desire to buy any others.

I own 25-30 flashlights, I carry 3 on a daily basis, and I have two on-order and I'm entertaining the idea of buying a third, I have three for sale right now, and I'm always on the lookout for newer and fancier ones. I have no rational explanation for this.

I think it comes down to temperament. When I was a little kid, I had a cheesy red plastic 2xAA flashlight that I disassembled, reassembled, and fiddled with endlessly. When I got a little older my dad bought me a 2xAA Mini Maglite to get me to stop messing around with his. In college I discovered the Arc AAA and the Photon 2, and I bought one of each. After college, I discovered CPF and that was the end of me being able to save money for several years. The evidence seems to suggest I was born a flashaholic.

Finally the only thing that makes you happy is not just owning these fantastic devices, but in purchasing new ones.
I've been trying to restrain this for the sake of not going bankrupt. Thus far the best I've been able to manage is to sell lights I don't appreciate as much as I thought I would, which is at least better then hoarding them in stacks of boxes in my closets and hallways.

Anyway, over to my collection of nasal hair clippers...
I just use pliers.

hawk45

Newly Enlightened
They are metal
They are bright
They can be works of art (in some eyes)
They are technology
They have buttons
They are black and silver
They have knobs
They can be knarly
They are practical
They can save your life
They have weight
They are all different
They can explode
They can help you defend yourself
They fill a void in your heart (hahaha)
etc..etc..

fyrstormer

Banned
They can explode
They can help you defend yourself
Someone needs to invent a self-destruct mode for flashlights so they can serve both of these purposes at the same time. If they can make it emit a high-pitched whine as it prepares to detonate, like a Star Trek phaser, so much the better.