Why are HDS (RA) lights so popular?

burntoshine

Enlightened
i've been eyeing hds lights for a while. i love liteflux and i have a feeling i would love a clicky. it would have to be neutral or high cri, though. it appears that the high cri is out of stock on the website (not that i can afford one right now anyway).

sawlight

Enlightened
Yes I can, but I don't want to, I like grabbing the light and it works, not having to go through the steps to unlock it.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I can, but I don't want to, I like grabbing the light and it works, not having to go through the steps to unlock it.
I know the feeling. That's why I love my HDS. Not only do I choose if the light is lockable as an option, but I choose if I want to lock it or not when it is off. First I enabled button lock. This is not as cumbersome as "button lock" sounds. It stills functions the same as any other HDS but... If you want to lock the button; triple click the light when it is off. The button will be locked. The light does not lock automatically every time you turn if off. If you try to turn the light on when it is locked; it will blink 3 times. A simple triple click unlocks it and it stays that way.

I understand you probably realize this, but other readers may not and I wanted to point it out, because I didn't understand it at first myself. As far as accidental activation in your pocket, I see no other solution around this, if you are looking for an multimode (electronic switch UI).

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the main point is. If you program the button lock feature, you don't have to use it but you can.
If you just turn off the light, you turn it on as always (one click).
If you want to use the lock simply turn off the light and triple click. It is locked now. If you want to turn it on simple triple click (to unlock and turn on at once) and the light comes on.

I know you said this already TyJo, but I wanted to give another wording. It may become more clear with two different wordings.

The Sun

Enlightened
Why I love Ra/HDS/Henry:

Over the years I've had a lot of lights...looking for "the one." At one point in time or another I probably have had at least one model from just about every production light manufacturer you could think of; Jetbeam, NovaTac, NiteCore, Fenix, Surefire, Olight, Wolfeyes, EagleTac, Quark, DX, Jil,...and on, and on. I have also had a lot of non-production/semi-production/small company lights as well; Muyshondt, McG, Malkoff, ArcMania, Original HDS, Mac's, etc., etc. When the Ra Twisty came out it was close approaching "the one" status. It was overbuilt in every way, very waterproof, had a customizable UI, easy UI, ample output, and great runtime. I carried it quite a bit, but I was still looking for the perfect EDC match for me.

When word got out that the Ra Clicky would be coming out a few years ago I was on it immediately. It finally came out and I got the Clicky 140 version. It was everything that the Twisty was but better in every way...UI, output, runtime, etc. It was in my pocket everyday. Then, the Clicky 170 came out not long after and I traded into one. Because of that light I sold every other light that I owned (except for the two Ra Twisty's I had as backups). All the customs, productions....whatever they were, they were sold, because at that point they were useless to me. Don't get me wrong there are great lights out there...McG's are great, other customs, as well as productions are great, but they aren't "the one" for me.

That Clicky 170 ruined me for other lights, I haven't bought another light for myself since. That Clicky 170 has been in my pocket since I got it when the Ra Clicky's first came out (roughly two years I believe), and has been through everything you can imagine; the pool, the ocean, hurricane Ike in Beaumont, TX with no power for seven days, tropical storms, under the hood, snow, you name it, it has probably been there.

Two weeks ago I sent that same Clicky 170 to Henry because of an issue it was having after two, or so, years of real life duty. I called Henry up, explained the problem, talked to him about lights and other stuff for another 30-40min, and then sent the light a couple of days later. A week went by and my light was waiting for me at the PO Box as good as new with a brand new battery tube and tail-cap. Henry's lights are excellent, but his customer service is what other small business owners wish they could be, or strive to accomplish.

In 2008 I started looking for "the one" light much like everybody else starts; wanting throw, blazing, retina burning, paint peeling output, and multiple levels of it. That faded as it does for just about everyone that wants a light that they can actually use. My taste changed to a more utilitarian approach for the search. The original NovaTac's worked out well for a while, but they were lacking something. When Henry made the Clicky, the search was over.

Plain and simple, Ra/HDS lights are excellent products, backed by an excellent human being, with excellent customer service and knowledge in all things flashlight. My Ra Clicky 170 has never left me in a situation where I needed light and didn't have it. It's been dropped (many times), run over, banged around, but used as intended and I've never thought that it would not light up...and that's the thing...confidence in a product. I push the button, and it comes on after everything it's been through.

ironhorse

Enlightened
I have also wondered what was so special about them. I was completly happy with my Nitecore and Zebralight.

I got a McGizmo, didn't care for it and sold it. I got a Peak Logan brass, didn't care for it and got rid of it.

I got the HDS 120 a year ago. I figured if I didn't care for it, I would leave it on the night stand for the low level. It took awhile to really get to liking it as I prefer the piston drive more than the switch. I didn't care for the bezel down clip. If I can't clip it to a hat, the clip comes off. After getting a bezel up clip from Wvaltakis, it slowly but surely became my favorite light. While it is not the brightest light, I have never said that this isn't bright enough. The low is perfect for middle of the night use. Programming may seem complicated, but is surprisingly easy to pick up. I don't have to worry about it over discharging rechargeables. From any level, there is instant access to high. This thig is so overbuilt that it's almost overkill.

For me it was the more I used it, the more I appreciated it.

Here is a link to detailed specifics.
http://ralights.com/?id=EdcDetails

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why do you guys like HDS (RA) lights so much?

i want an orange one. is that so much to ask?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Re: Why do you guys like HDS (RA) lights so much?

i want an orange one. is that so much to ask?
There are some out there, but the cerakote finish is not very durable and all of the orange on the corners is long gone.

Looks great but not nearly as tough as the standard anodized coating.

stoli67

Enlightened
I have an orange cerakoted one but I put a titanium bezel and tailcap on it... The cerakote on the head and battery tube never wears... Problem solved.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have an orange cerakoted one but I put a titanium bezel and tailcap on it... The cerakote on the head and battery tube never wears... Problem solved.
Where did you get the Ti tailcap?

My cerakote is worn on every part of the light, even though it was taken right down to bare aluminum and I'd say it's a distant second to the anodized stock coating. I still like the light, but part of the reason I bought it was the mistaken assumption that it was going to be pretty tough and think that anyone considering buying one be aware that it is not nearly as tough as the PR going around would suggest.

stoli67

Enlightened
I bought it from Henry but I think it was the last one....

You might be able to get a bare aluminum one for the ail .... You can still get ti bezels without the square threads.

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
HDS OBESSION?

WAT IS IT WITH THE HDS THAT PEOPLE LOVE SO MUCH, LIKE EVERYONE LOVES THEM?

Thread Merge - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HDS OBESSION?

1. Bomb proof
2. Bullet proof
3. Can withstand an EMP
4. Now has an airhole in the tailcap

Get back to me when you find another light that you can say the same about.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

Read everything on HDS website a couple times.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Programable, bombproof and reliable, low low modes for night time, I like that a lot.

I own Surefire's cause there bombproof and reliable too

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

For their indended purpose, they are effectively perfect lights. For how many other products (of any type) can you really use the word "perfect"? Unless you have VERY specific uses for a flashlight, buy one of these and it is liable to be the most heavily used light you own. It is easy to carry with you, and it packs in so much functionality that I find very little need to reach for any other light. I am an extremely picky person, and I do not say these things lightly.

Seriously, everything about these lights is just flawlessly executed and superbly designed.

BTW, since no one else has mentioned it, I find these to be one of the most efficient flashlights that I own - I don't go through a lot of primaries with my HDS. Oh yeah, and you can use rechargeable batteries too...