Why are HDS (RA) lights so popular?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why do you guys like HDS (RA) lights so much?

I didn't read all 4 pages, but the one main thing I like about my HDS/Ra: Henry. Sometimes it is about people and not the product.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

I didn't read all 4 pages, but the one main thing I like about my HDS/Ra: Henry. Sometimes it is about people and not the product.

Yep.......he's the best advertisement for his products.

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened

Well, this will obviously make a huge dent into the light's body, possibly destroying the reflector/electronics/battery depending on where you hit it exactly.
Quite frankly I think this is an unreasonable thing to ask of a flashlight. :duh2:

I agree, but it would raise the status to nothing but legendary.

I'll be picking one at some point to see what all the hype is about. Not sure I'd be willing to put it on the line in that way since they aren't cheap.

Carry on...

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

(Edit: I just read a thread about a bunch of failures but it sounds like HDS customer service is top notch)

I'm just curious about this statement. Where did you read about the bunch of failures ? No doubt there have been failures in the past but I don't remember reading about anything recently. I'm just wondering if I've missed something.....?

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just curious about this statement. Where did you read about the bunch of failures ? No doubt there have been failures in the past but I don't remember reading about anything recently. I'm just wondering if I've missed something.....?

I guess he was referring to some who have problems with a faulty capacitor which resulted in rapid draining of batteries, and I am one of them whom this unfortunate rare occurrence had happened. It is quite an isolated problem but it seems to be the main problem bugging HDS lights. Other than this issue, I know of no other problems.

Darkspark

Newly Enlightened

Well, i just got my first Clicky high Cri edc executive bout a month ago and it's great...if you want to know why, just see the other ten million gushing posts on this forum. It really is a bad-*** light.:cool:...and Henry has never ceased to be helpful, in fact, it was because of his willingness to answer all my questions so readily that i thought i really couldn't go wrong with one of his lights.:thumbsup:
Me buying another one is...how you say...inevitable.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

The reasons I really like this light are simple:
1. It is VERY high quality and exceedingly well made. It is OBVIOUS when you pick up the light.
2. For what it is, it represents a perfect or nearly perfect design and execution.

I've felt this way about very few other lights I've owned - mostly some of the surefire lights - they are very well made and perfect examples of design and execution.

Note that perfection doesn't mean that it has the highest specs in every category, or the best price, or most suited for every possible job, etc. All objects we make involve tradeoffs. Perfection to me implies that the tradeoffs are made very carefully and thoughtfully and that the tool in question performs the intended function as well as can possibly be accomplished given the current state of the art.

In my opinion, the HDS lights are perfect. It's interesting to me that the designer of these lights seems to continuously evaluate the tradeoffs he's made, and improve on them where he can.

BTW, I don't mean to take anything away from other makers - there are some excellent lights available that vastly exceed most people's needs and are also bargains compared to the HDS lights. Most of these lights aren't perfect, and most of 'em are nowhere near as durable. Not everyone appreciates these qualities, or is willing to pay for them. That's OK too.

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened

I guess he was referring to some who have problems with a faulty capacitor which resulted in rapid draining of batteries, and I am one of them whom this unfortunate rare occurrence had happened. It is quite an isolated problem but it seems to be the main problem bugging HDS lights. Other than this issue, I know of no other problems.

What serial number has your defective ra clicky? Thank you :D

Gaffle

Enlightened

I have never been real into CR123 lights. That has finally changed. I want a RA Clicky real bad. Real real bad.

As far as I can tell the only difference between the Executive and Tactical is the finish. Tactical has the anodized bezel and Exe has polished stainless.

That being the case I want the EDC Custom.

1. 170 OTF

2. I would want the titanium polished bezel

3. Sapphire lens

4. Raised button

5. Executive operation. Momentary Max, first click Low Low, 2 clicks Max, 3 clicks Medium.

This light is even better since Henry explained that the electronics are incased in a Faraday cage. Frickin awesome....:thumbsup:

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened

Mmmmm......Clicky.
The light so nice, I bought it twice! (had to try the high CRI)

Learn the interface and carry one for a month or so, and you will
have answered the question.

1. Durability
2. Ergonomics
3. Customization of the U.I.
4. Customer service.

Just something about the whole package that works for me.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have never been real into CR123 lights. That has finally changed. I want a RA Clicky real bad. Real real bad.

Even though I exclusively run rechargeable cells, I like the ability to use easily available primary cells if I need to, which I why I stick mostly with AA lights. I make an exception for 18650 cells since salvaged cells are free and the capacity is so huge. I made an exception for the Ra Clicky since it has a unique set of features that I couldn't get in any other light (and caring for RCR123s is really no different than caring for the 18650 cells I already use), but I fully expect the Ra Clicky to be the only CR123 light I carry in the foreseeable future.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

What serial number has your defective ra clicky? Thank you :D

Isn't the serial only printed on the bezel? If so, the serial gives no real indication on when the light was actually made. I've got the smooth bezel and its serial is less than 10000 even though my light is new.

--flatline

iacchus

Enlightened

Yeah, I think the bezels are engraved with a serial #, then when the light is put together, whatever bezel is called for goes on and the light ships.

Henry has said somewhere before that he doesn't keep a master list of what each serialized bezel is attached to. Really, I suppose it is more for use by the owner than HDS themselves.
Our records or what have you.

For example...
I got the serials of my two clickys tattooed across my knuckles!

chanjyj

Enlightened

Isn't the serial only printed on the bezel? If so, the serial gives no real indication on when the light was actually made. I've got the smooth bezel and its serial is less than 10000 even though my light is new.

--flatline

Heck, I bought a new bezel from Henry and the new bezel has a new serial number.

The serial number, to the best of my knowledge is not an indication of anything except the bezel's date of production.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

Maybe that's what the OP is referring to although, but I wouldn't exactly call that a "bunch". Plus, I was wondering if the OP was referring to the missing lens and the scratched+dusty reflector. If he was, then I would imagine most would not define those as failures. Failures to me would be a non-working light, or not being able to access one of the modes, flickering, or glitches in the UI or programming, etc. The lens and scratched reflector incidents I would categorize as a lapse in quality control.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, but I would exclude a car due to a slow 0-60 time regardless of how it handled or other factors. I exclude the RA due to the low lumen/dollar ratio.
Lumen isn't everything. In fact, when I'm evaluating a flashlight, maximum brightness is lowest on my list of priorities. I often wonder how many people who are wowed by a high lumen rating when shopping for a flashlight actually ever find a use for that much light beyond impressing their friends. I've found for general everyday use that anything over 70 lumen is more than bright enough.

bedazzLED

Enlightened

Hi all.

I've been reading this thread with interest and thought I'd add my thoughts to it also.

I have a bunch of other torches of various battery formats, sizes, lumens output, throw, flood, ..., but never owned one of the HDS torches.

With all the dedicated followers of these torches I thought I'd better buy one and try it out for myself, and now with an Australian distributor, I finally got myself a Executive 120.

The verdict?

I've just ordered the Tactical 170 !

These torches are just absolutely fantastic. The construction, output, UI, price, general feel about it, all come together into an all-round great package.

Don't think I can actually pick any real issues with it at all.

I thought my SureFires were great, but the HDS' do beat them in three categories; ruggedness, price and UI.

If the Executive 120 is great, can't wait until the Tactical 170 arrives!

iacchus

Enlightened

I finally got myself a Executive 120.

The verdict?

I've just ordered the Tactical 170 !!

Hahaha. Awesome.

If the Executive 120 is great, can't wait until the Tactical 170 arrives!

You will love it. The 170 is a great light. You might as well start sourcing a High CRI. You will likely want one of those next....