Why Do My 9007 Bulbs Have Covers Over Them? 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. Removable?

therock

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the height and side adjustments are fixed to each other between the high and lows. It kind of makes sense that if you make a near precision head lamp set for a particular vehicle you will know where the highs should be in relationship to the lows. I found that Zizala is capable of that.

I very carefully did the lines on the wall method as a preliminary setup until a beam setter adjustment can be done.

1. I used a tripod and a level to find my lamp center heights. My garage floor was poured very nicely showing between the lines on an 8" level.
  2. Then I drew a center line and the horizontal lines on a 10 foot wide sheet of card board with a straight edge at low beam center and at two inches lower.
  3. Then I marked the vertical centers for both beams and found a spot that was close to level checking with an 8 foot level on clean concrete.

When I made my low beams cut-off and right angle rise intersections hit their cross hairs from 25' on the line two inches under their center line I then hit my high beams. They were nearly perfectly on their cross hair positions on the top line. Zizala I am impressed! I backed away and they remained steady.

I then gave them the test of having my girlfriend following me while I drove her van and drive towards me in the on coming lane on a back road and they are fine. Then we swapped and I got her opinion to confirm.
In looking at them from her van straight on and in her mirror the light is quality is amazing. Though not offensive you can tell they are not wimpy. You do not even think about color because its white.

I also had her hit the highs on me and man it did not take long for me to say into the phone Ok - OK! If I have to flash anyone it will not be for long. I am glad I had her do that. A flick for a hint is fine but any more will be unsafe for both of us. Those Osram 65w H7's are amazing.

Its a little windy here so its clear out and the roads really light up nice on high.

On my very first runs made without the target line setup had the road signs blinding me. I now know it was because of poor alignment. Thay have tamed down some.

I was so into my setup I forgot to take pics. I will though because I want to see the "After the beam setter" comparison to my line setup. I will post that when I get it done.

Last edited:

therock

Newly Enlightened
The Side marker install. These are LED truck clearance markers. I came close to messing up because I chose ones with no grommets. When I received them I knew I had to be careful in getting my hole size right or send them back. I did good. The panel is plastic and a little flexible so I drilled undersized and used a deburring tool to open it up in steps until I could barely pop it in art an angle. Whew! The hole size starts out at 9/16". The brochure said it takes a 3/4" mounting hole but that is on an existing truck mount I guess.

They are very nice. More subtle than they appear in the pic. The light you see at the fender - bumper junction is a reflection on the curvature, not a leak from the inside. They only come on with the head lights and can be seen from the front too. I was worried they would look tacky from the front but they are nice. Small and a clean or crisp brightness.

sidemarkers.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Wow, you are really doing a very complete and thorough conversion! Most people don't think to add the US-only functions that are missing when they install non-US headlamp assemblies. Now all you need is side retro-reflectors, which do a very good job reducing the chance your car will be sideswiped at night. Shouldn't be hard to find good quality self-adhesive flexible ones from any of the usual suspects (Truck-Lite, Peterson, Grote...). A strip-shaped one should fit nicely on the side-facing portion of the leading edge of the wheel arch, or horizontally just below the top contour line of the side of the bumper. Can we see what the new LED markers look like when not lit up? A close-up view, maybe?

therock

Newly Enlightened
Gosh I didn't think I would need reflecters too. Maybe I can clean it up by putting a hole in the reflector?

vansidemarker1.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Nice clean installation -- looks as if the factory could have put it there.

The law requirement is for side marker lights and (not "or") side retro-reflectors. Amber in front, red in back.

I wouldn't recommend trying to put a hole in the reflector; it would allow water to enter the reflector and degrade it.

therock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,

That thing puts out for being the diameter of about a Dime.

Do you still recommend a reflector? I have lost my link to stick-on's.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yeah, the side light and the side reflector do different jobs; one doesn't really substitute for the other. Definitely get good reflectors such as these. Any of them at that link will do; disregard notices that they don't meet requirements -- they are marketed as truck/bus items which require physically larger reflectors than cars need.

therock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,

Looks like I have one more series of photos to do before I am done here. I ordered some reflectors last night.

I talked to Craig @ Hella and he enlightened me that Beam Setter is a Hella specific term and my search may go better if I ask about Head Light aiming machines in my quest. And that Mercedes along with VW are supposed to have them. He said they were going to be at Road Atlanta with a BS this weekend and invited me but I am working 12 hr shifts ..... Arggh!

So I hope to have pics of my Wall alignment and then get aimed at a shop and hit the wall again to see how I did. And some night time shots too. It may take me a while but I'll be back.

Thanks

therock

Newly Enlightened
Why Do My 9007 Bulbs Have Covers Over Them? 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan.Reflectors On!

No beam setter yet but did get the reflectors on. At first the rectangular ones looked like mud. In looking at cars in the lot I noted how they are integrated into the lens so I did similar with a better end result than any kind of placement on the paint. If any of us were to take note we would see its an add-on right away but you have to focus on them.

The reflectors came in a pack of 20 and they were die cut so my scissors were not doing much different. I will keep an eye out for water intrusion though. You get only one shot with these, especially itf you prepare the surface with alcohol.
The spot I stuck them on has a solid backing so it does not block the bulb's view from the side. I covered no area that would block the bulb or block its illumination path.

reflecters001.jpg

reflecters0022.jpg

reflecters003.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Re: Why Do My 9007 Bulbs Have Covers Over Them? 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan.Reflectors O

Nice work! A very stealthy installation of the reflectors. Which ones did you start with, and what did the 20-pack cost?

dave_b

Newly Enlightened
Re: Why Do My 9007 Bulbs Have Covers Over Them? 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan.Reflectors O

Hey Scheinwerfermann,

I am glad you approve of therock's slick install, because...

I am in the process of ordering the ECE Alero units from Mr. Stern. Would such a stealthy installation of adhesive retro-reflectors work in my case as well? It appears to me as if the reflector on the US Alero unit is about a 1cm tall by 2.5cm wide bar mid-height along the side marker assembly (built into the amber lense), towards the side/rear corner of the assembly. (I can post a pic if it would help). I hope my description is clear enough for you to get my meaning.

Nice work therock!

Cheers
Dave

-Virgil-

Flashaholic

Oooh, I don't think that would work on an Alero, because then you'd cover the side marker light. On the Alero lamps, the outermost lamp compartment goes all the way to the trailing edge of the lamp -- not like this Chrysler Voyager lamp where there's "dead space" between the trailing edge of the reflector and the trailing edge of the lamp lens/housing.

dave_b

Newly Enlightened

There is no dead space at all? Durn.

Where would be the best place to mount the retro-reflective adhesive strip on the Alero, do you think? Underneath on the plastic bumper cover, or more rearward on the fender?

Dave

therock

Newly Enlightened

Thank You,
Now to get them in front of a beam setter.
Actually I forgot I ordered two each of the reflector packs @ $11.94 each. I knew I would be experimenting.

ORDER SUMMARY:
Peterson
B491A
Stick On Reflector, Amber, Pk 10
SKU: 1371901
This item ships directly from the manufacturer within 6 business days. Please allow additional time for delivery.

therock

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a great result. Thought you were going to use the Osram 65w H7 bulbs, though?

Correction on my part, I remember discussing Narva's with Daniel Stern and left in his hands to decide. Yes I am running the high output Osram 65w H7 bulbs, sorry.

therock

Newly Enlightened
Heh, So I though I would give some disappearing Osram Diadem® turn signal bulbs a try and don't know which I like or dislike worse. From the front they are much less visible and can be noticed only if looking for them. Then I was walking by and they caught my eye. Funny! :laughing:

bluemarkers.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Those Osram bulbs are a little goofy-looking when off, but they work very well. Much longer lifespan and better color durability than the standard PY21W bulb. The amber color they produce is right in the middle of the amber box (spec), and the extra durability is nice if you ever decide to install a turn signal DRL module (or maybe you already have?).

therock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,

I'll be leaving them in then I guess. Nice to know there is more to them than just the color. Being Osram I should have guessed. I did compare them by leaving one in and running the E-flashers and the color and illumination was the same but I did get them from Daniel Stern so they are most likely Osram's also.

Cannot do the signal DRL module there because they are single element signal fixtures & bulbs that only illuminate via the flasher.
I have the Daniel Stern DRL module on the city light bulbs under the high beam bulbs. If the ignition is on they are on and I have a dash switch in the line to disable them in the event I see a need such as during a surveillance.

The City/DRL's are kind of yellow or golden during bright daylight and I have tried a budget LED lamp in them that would not illuminate. I have an email into Daniel Stern about it. Maybe he can come up with something if not, I am still happy.

I had a gentleman approach me while I was pumping gas. He came out of the store and took notice of my City lights. I didn't know what to think of his look as he came towards me until he asked if I had imported the van. He travels world wide for Cisco Systems and said he is used to seeing city lights over there and almost forgot what country he was in. Heh, he left saying "I think I need a vacation".

superjoe83

Newly Enlightened
The City/DRL's are kind of yellow or golden during bright daylight and I have tried a budget LED lamp in them that would not illuminate. I have an email into Daniel Stern about it. Maybe he can come up with something if not, I am still happy.

I use these: http://www.motivemods.com/Philips-BlueVisionUltra-W5W-p/phi-bvu-w5w.htm and like the output color, much closer to "white" then a normal w5w

now im waiting for Scheinwerfermann to come on and tell us those are junk :)

therock

Newly Enlightened