Why is the E2 so popular?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm one of those wretched Philistines who was actually disappointed with the E2. I found that its very dispersed beam lights up a large area with quite good brightness, but does not begin to compare to the 6P (and other 2x123 lights) in terms of punch and throw. If I need to quickly illuminate or identify an object or person at night the E2 falls short, while the 6P "shines".

BTW, I don't carry the 6P because I prefer an even brighter very long throw (non-turbo) 2x123. That's why I carry (belt holster) either the ASP TRIAD/TACLITE or the TACM III. The E2, for me, is an excellent short-burning utility light, beautifully made and designed; in short: a little gem, but a gem that is best used indoors for relatively unchallenging tasks, rather than out in the real world.*

Brightnorm

* This last sentence may be a bit provocative and exaggerated, but it does express my basic feelings about the E2. It's just my personal reaction, based on a very specific preference for unusually bright, powerfully projected light in a small package.

Brightnorm

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by artar:
my edc are photonIIw and UKE2L.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm curious how the UK2L would be a more useful EDC. Probably a bit lighter, but I'm interested in how that light in particular (since it is the same size/ battery configuration) makes the E2 "useless."

I'm not picking on you for your light choice. I have two 2L's as well as two E2s. Just wondering, since I find the beam quality of the E2 to be superior in every way. If you saw a 2L and an E2 sitting on the shelf, and you were offered either one (for free) to EDC for the next month, you'd take the 2L?

artar

Enlightened
darell,

you're right, you cant compare beamquality of the uke2l with the E2. also the overall light output in lumens are not comparable.

for me the E2 is more a indoor light. it shines a bright white beam to maybe 30-meters for 20 or 30 minutes. after that it is not so bright.

the UKE2l has a not so perfect beam but much better than a maglite. i would say the beam quality is 70% of surefire.
the 2L delivers a bright light for more than 2 1/2 hours with a good (60-70m) reach.

edc for me means i carry the light in my briefcase and not all the time on me. it would look funny when i carry a flashlight on me in the office.

i need a flashlight sometimes when i walk in the park at night and for emergencies.

therefore the uke2l is for me the better choice.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
I'm curious how the UK2L would be a more useful EDC. Probably a bit lighter, but I'm interested in how that light in particular (since it is the same size/ battery configuration) makes the E2 "useless."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darell,

I think that "useless" within the context of our group translates as "not task specific for me".

If I saw the 2L and E2 on a shelf and was offered one free I'd immediately take the E2; it's beautiful, has a lovely beam and reeks of quality. Not to mention that it is triple the cost of the 2L which I could always pick up for an additional $20.00 +.

There's no question that the E2 is unique, and I really wish that I had a legitimate EDC use for it that wasn't fulfilled more appropriately by another light. My EDC needs are specific:

1) A superbright long throw 2x123: either the ASP TRIAD/TACLITE or TACM III

2) A long burning moderately bright, waterproof, relatively "indestructible" small light, preferably 2x123 but other lithium compatible configurations meeting these criteria are acceptable: the Inova X5, ARC LS 123 or 2AA, UKE 2L or Mini Q40 but not the Tek 40,

3) Long burning keyring light: ARC AAA only

4) Short burning keyring light: Photon II or III (neither is ideal), The ASP and INOVA keyring style lights may be better choices.

I look forward to testing the E2 with MNO2

Brightnorm

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
To join in on the E2/UK2L comparison, I also have 2 of each, and here is how I would compare them:

The E2e is my favourite without a doubt, but due to its shorter runtime it needs to be used in a different manner. The UK2L has a far better run time, and is very robust and waterproof. The UK2L is handy to lend to someone without having to explain to them that they should only turn it on for short periods (like I would if I gave them the E2). The UK2L is much better if you need a constant light for a couple of hours, and don't want to concern yourself with how it gets treated.

Graham

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I got the new Bezel it an E2E Bezel and am likeing it a lot more, in the last week I have used this light more than any other light I own.

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
jtintagliovat - In your initial post on 6/28/02, you mentioned that the 6P can be powered-up to produce well over 120 Lumens of light (even up to 500 Lumens). How can this be done? Are there lamp assemblies other than the 60 and 61 which can be used? Wouldn't the batteries become exhausted very quickly if that much power was utilized? I'm new to the technical aspects of flashlight use, though I have been interested in flashlights themselves for a long time. No doubt some of my questions are naive-sounding.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poalcat:
jtintagliovat - In your initial post on 6/28/02, you mentioned that the 6P can be powered-up to produce well over 120 Lumens of light (even up to 500 Lumens). How can this be done? Are there lamp assemblies other than the 60 and 61 which can be used? Wouldn't the batteries become exhausted very quickly if that much power was utilized? I'm new to the technical aspects of flashlight use, though I have been interested in flashlights themselves for a long time. No doubt some of my questions are naive-sounding.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you add and A19 body extending tube it turns the 6P into a 9P body, then you can use a P90/P91. If you add a 2nd A19 and a Turbo-head, you can use the MN60, MN61 & N62 (500 lumens). It's basically an M4 or 12PM at this point. These are things you cannot do with the E2.

IMO, just buy an E2 & M4 and you will be better off.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of older threads on this that you could search. With A-19 battery adaptors you can run this light with up to 4 123's however you also need a Turbo head to use the higher lumen Lamps like the MN60 225L the MN61 350L and the N62 500L this one eats the batteries.
shocked.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poalcat:
jtintagliovat - In your initial post on 6/28/02, you mentioned that the 6P can be powered-up to produce well over 120 Lumens of light (even up to 500 Lumens). How can this be done? Are there lamp assemblies other than the 60 and 61 which can be used? Wouldn't the batteries become exhausted very quickly if that much power was utilized? I'm new to the technical aspects of flashlight use, though I have been interested in flashlights themselves for a long time. No doubt some of my questions are naive-sounding.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get the A19 adapter from

LPS Tactical for $16.50 & free shipping.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by artar:
edc for me means i carry the light in my briefcase and not all the time on me. it would look funny when i carry a flashlight on me in the office.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is the beauty of the E2: you can carry it on you in the office and no one will look at you funny, because no one will know that you're carrying a flashlight on you in the office.
grin.gif