Why no P60 talk anymore?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Malkoff MD2 considered a p60 host even though it only accepts Malkoff drop ins?

I had sort of assumed that that disqualified it...

--flatline

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
That's an excellent point, one that I had overlooked. But like the P60, Malkoffs have the ability to be indefinitely rebuit.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Is the Malkoff MD2 considered a p60 host even though it only accepts Malkoff drop ins?

I had sort of assumed that that disqualified it...

--flatline

I tend to agree that the light itself is disqualified. But being I have Malkoff drop in modules in P60-ish lights like Pentagons (x1, x2 and eX2), Rayovacs (2xAA Indestructables) , Brinkmann (MaxFires), Pelican (M6 2320), Vital Gear and yes... SureFire G2, 3P clone and 6P, then to me they qualify.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree that the light itself is disqualified. But being I have Malkoff drop in modules in P60-ish lights like Pentagons (x1, x2 and eX2), Rayovacs (2xAA Indestructables) , Brinkmann (MaxFires), Pelican (M6 2320), Vital Gear and yes... SureFire G2, 3P clone and 6P, then to me they qualify.

That makes sense. The Malkoff drop-ins work in P60 hosts so they should qualify, pragmatically if not technically, as P60 modules.

I haven't even received my 6P yet and I'm already trying to decide which Malkoff drop-in I want to put in it...

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off topic, but can any of you tell me if the tailcap from my MD2 will work with the SureFire 6P I have coming in the mail?

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly off topic, but can any of you tell me if the tailcap from my MD2 will work with the SureFire 6P I have coming in the mail?

--flatline

Your MD2 tailcap will work perfectly on your 6P. It will add a bit of length, but also the ability to tail stand.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your MD2 tailcap will work perfectly on your 6P. It will add a bit of length, but also the ability to tail stand.

Good to know. When I ordered the 6P I also ordered the McClicky kit, but I'd rather not modify the 6P tailcap before I've given it a chance.

--flatline

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
I haven't even received my 6P yet and I'm already trying to decide which Malkoff drop-in I want to put in it...

Get the M61NL. In the past couple of weeks I've received an MD2 with M61L, as well as M61NL, M61WL, and M61WLL drop-ins. I think the Ls strike a great balance between brightness and runtime, and the Ns have the best tint.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know. When I ordered the 6P I also ordered the McClicky kit, but I'd rather not modify the 6P tailcap before I've given it a chance.

--flatline

Surefire's twisty tail caps represent a high point in the development of tail cap mounted switches, at least in my opinion. Don't take me wrong, I like the McClicky, but I think the SF (Z41?) has proven itself more reliable over time.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When I started here in Dec 2012, there was still some talk of the P60 platform, and that it was a good way to test out different LEDs, driven at different levels, and different tints. It was cheaper to build a module with one's chosen test tint etc, than it was to buy a whole new light. I bought Solarforce L2M and L2N hosts, and built a couple of drop-ins. Then along came Convoy. Simon was selling the S2 for a couple of dollars more than it cost to build a drop-in, and one could choose how hard it was driven and any specific tint! So for a few dollars more, I'd have a whole flashlight, not just a replacement bulb.

That ended fooling with the P60 platform for me. I still like the L2N, haven't seen it in a while... it is in my daughter's car door. LOL... back in the day, the L2N with a XML2 driven at 2.8 amps, was a VERY impressive light. :) The L2M has been missing for years :mecry:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire's twisty tail caps represent a high point in the development of tail cap mounted switches, at least in my opinion. Don't take me wrong, I like the McClicky, but I think the SF (Z41?) has proven itself more reliable over time.

Yes, they're the Bee's Knees.
P

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very valid point regarding cost, if a person does not have nice P60 hosts that they adore; either for their function or design, and if soldering ability does not inspire confidence a reliable product will result. Poppy also made a valid point in the sense that complete, (decent quality) flashlights have compatible parts designed for each other. For many of us, putting together different components is part of the fun of it, but there have been numerous times when parts did not come together like it did when first imagined (springs too long or too short, fitment issues, battery compatibility, using switches not designed for high amperage, difficulty getting a good wrap on the module, having such a good wrap on a dropin that it is very difficult to remove).

When I started here in Dec 2012, there was still some talk of the P60 platform, and that it was a good way to test out different LEDs, driven at different levels, and different tints. It was cheaper to build a module with one's chosen test tint etc, than it was to buy a whole new light. I bought Solarforce L2M and L2N hosts, and built a couple of drop-ins. Then along came Convoy. Simon was selling the S2 for a couple of dollars more than it cost to build a drop-in, and one could choose how hard it was driven and any specific tint! So for a few dollars more, I'd have a whole flashlight, not just a replacement bulb.

That ended fooling with the P60 platform for me. I still like the L2N, haven't seen it in a while... it is in my daughter's car door. LOL... back in the day, the L2N with a XML2 driven at 2.8 amps, was a VERY impressive light. :) The L2M has been missing for years :mecry:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've lost interest in the P60 format because P60 driver development has stagnated; P60 drivers typically cannot match the output/efficiency of the typical buck, boost, or buck/boost drivers of production lights.

I've lost interest in the P60 format because P60 driver development has stagnated; P60 drivers typically cannot match the output/efficiency of the typical buck, boost, or buck/boost drivers of production lights.
I believe that the dropin oveready v5 triple is an example of what you are looking for.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
P60 drivers typically cannot match the output/efficiency of the typical buck, boost, or buck/boost drivers of production lights.

I'm willing to believe that's true when you're talking about high current situations, but I don't see any reason why a p60 would be less efficient at lower currents (which can still be 200+ lumens these days).

--flatline

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm willing to believe that's true when you're talking about high current situations, but I don't see any reason why a p60 would be less efficient at lower currents (which can still be 200+ lumens these days).

--flatline

Lower quality components with more resistance. Poorer circuit design.

Also limitations of linear drivers with 7135.

Last edited:
True, but I can buy several different lights with different beam profiles at that price.

I agree with you.
The price of oveready products is high, but compatible with other quality custom flashlights.
Unfortunately there are rare options of dropins with so many features, quality and power.