Why Not McGizmo ?

Shooter21

Enlightened
While I can appreciate that there are people that vehemently wants moonlight mode, I for one do not want that. It would just be a waste of one level for me. I live in an urban environment and most likely there will always be ambient lighting around me. Moonlight will only send me into the twilight zone where I am in between visions. If there is such a term.
Slight artifacts don't bother me as I do not do white wall hunting. And I can't see the artifacts in all real life usage.
Yea everyone likes something different. The reason I love moonlight mode is because at night i usually go to the bathroom and anything brighter than moonlight mode hurts my eyes.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea everyone likes something different. The reason I love moonlight mode is because at night i usually go to the bathroom and anything brighter than moonlight mode hurts my eyes.

I can respect your preferences and limitations. In my bedroom, there is cast off light from the street lamps thus having some sort of moonlight. Granted that you have a different environment.
May I suggest you consider the Sapphire. That will give you a generous spill beam and very close to moon mode. Lithiums L91 will last for ages with the Sapphire.

Last edited:

DTF

Enlightened
I came to CPF for the sole purpose of finding the best flashlight for use in photography. The McGizmo lights, specifically the Mule and Sundrop models, are essentially the only flashlights made with photography in mind. The McGizmo 1/4"-20 clip, something that no other light has, made McGizmo the only real choice. Last freaking thing I wanted to do was spend $2,000 plus in flashlights, but, now that I have, there are no regrets. What I love is being able to attach my flashlights to clamps and stands and then toss them into a bag. Drop the bag. Throw the bag into the back of the car. Everything banging against each other. Toss bag under the stage. Just doesn't make any difference, no amount of abuse stops them: the McGizmo lights always work.

The only reason not to buy a McGizmo is price. But, that doesn't really fly either. After all, the resale value for McGizmo lights is about 90% of the original cost! And, over time, the McGizmo lights will go up in value.

I read with some interest a comment about using the money to buy a nice camera lens instead of buying a McGizmo light. Interesting since that is the way I justified to myself going with the McGizmo lights (the cost a good pro Nikon lens starts around $1000 and it goes quickly up from there. I have a number of lens that each cost well north of $2000.) After that, McGizmo lights are just another tool in my photobag. No big deal.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had my Haiku XM-L very long, but I've used it everyday since I got it for things like walking the dog, searching the basement for a tool, looking for hedgehogs with my daughter and other general use. You're right - it isn't the right light to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I have a little wind up light with a trit fob for that.

Dan FO

Enlightened
If you were really cool you would get a pair of Oakley sunglasses to wear at night like the rockstars. ;)

Z-Tab

Enlightened
You know... I posted the reasons that I don't like McGizmos... And then I went and bought another one.

Even as a contributor, this thread didn't work.

djdawg

Enlightened
I only have 5 and trying to work a deal on another one ............LOL
I havent heard any good reasons not to buy one other than the price ..............
It took me awhile but Iam finally figuring out that I dont need 750 LMS to walk the dog or navigate the back yard..........LOL
I just think that when you have one in your hand , theres a certain feel of quality about them , not to mention the quality parts he puts in them.
The only thing I find that I dont care for as much is how touchy going through the modes is .......... that gets better with practice.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read with some interest a comment about using the money to buy a nice camera lens instead of buying a McGizmo light. Interesting since that is the way I justified to myself going with the McGizmo lights (the cost a good pro Nikon lens starts around $1000 and it goes quickly up from there. I have a number of lens that each cost well north of $2000.) After that, McGizmo lights are just another tool in my photobag. No big deal.
That was me. Speaking strictly as a hobbyist photographer, a "good lens" to me is around the $600 range. Sure, I drool over the pro Nikon glass, just as I drool over McGizmo lights, but I could never justify the expense.

nbp

Flashaholic
That's your problem. Stop trying to justify why you SHOULD buy it. Just get, use it, and love it. Then justify it. :)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's your problem. Stop trying to justify why you SHOULD buy it. Just get, use it, and love it. Then justify it. :)

Wow. Well put. I was struggling with that justifying thing and couldn't think of the right response. If I had to justify every nice thing I have, I would have a lot of crap and would be very unhappy. My new mantra: Just get it, use it, and love it. Thank you!

easilyled

Flashaholic
You could say that the pleasure derived from owning something that gives immense satisfaction is justification enough in itself for buying it.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price of a McGizmo is well beyond the range of what I can comfortably spend without having a very good justification for it.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price of a McGizmo is well beyond the range of what I can comfortably spend without having a very good justification for it.

Set aside a fund for it. Put away what you comfortably can each month and "surprise" yourself with something nice when you have enough saved up. :)

jcw122

Enlightened
It's just like any other high end side of a hobby...some people are 1) Very wealthy and/or 2) Are careless with their money, and/or 3) Think that it's worth it.

djdawg

Enlightened
I had a hard time making my first purchase too , but after receiving my first the other 4 were easy .........lol
Really , once you hold one ...........you just know.
There my best lights bar non.
Not the brightest , just the best.

Latest posts