Why Titanium?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
Heat= temperature for our common purposes, doesn't it?

IMO, it's pure *fad*.

Temperature and Heat are like Volts and Current. If you don't mind confusing those two, then I guess you're in good shape.:grin2:

You apply a certain amount of voltage potential across a resistor, and you get current. If you apply two temperatures on the sides of a piece of material, you get heat. The thermal resistance is the reciprocal of the thermal conductivity, the metal is acting as a resistor for heat.

The rule here is that the heat flowing is proportional to the product of the thermal conductivity and the temperature differerence across the system.

A LED produces waste heat. This heat needs to go somewhere. If it can't leave fast enough, it builds up on the device as excess temperature. The temperature rises until there is enough temperature difference between the source and the ambient (like voltage and ground) so that same heat (current) that is flowing from the electronics flows through the thermal resistance between the device and the ambient. This is considered the steady state temperature of the system. This temperature needs to be below the limit of the materials of the device.

Last edited:

LightBright

Enlightened
That lack of thermal conductivity is why Titanium is popular for motorcycle racing (exhaust systems, valves, etc). Not so good for cooling a High Power LED. Has anybody here done heat testing / Lumen output on Luxeons?

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it for its lightness....good for handguns also.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
for why the citizen watch doesn't scratch that easily, they have a coating of something on it to protect it. same for the stainless steel watches from citizen!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Titanium because I can make it blue or gold or green or whatever color I like with less trouble than it is to anodize aluminum. And it is incredibly light for its strength and while it does not have a Rockwell hardness of most knife blades it is more 'slippery' so it still does fairly well for that purpose. It has a 'feel' that to me is better than aluminum also.

karambot2uj7.jpg

Plain unidirectional Ti HDS clip in gold:
hdsticlipus6.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:

Martini

Enlightened
For the record, hard-anodized aluminum is quite hard, typically anywhere in the 50-65 HRC range. I'm not sure what grades of titanium are being used for flashlights, but I do know that the aerospace alloy Ti-6Al-4V is about 40 HRC. Beta-Ti can be hardened to 47 HRC. Titanium nitride coatings are extrememly hard, >80 HRC, but I haven't seen any indication that this is used on any of the Ti flashlights. Besides, it would make more sense to construct the light out of aluminum and coat with TiN.

In any case, our HA lights probably have higher surface hardness than the Ti ones. The advantage of a Ti light is that, if scratched, the exposed material will be exactly the same as the top layer (if uncoated and unanodized, that is).

In tensile strength, Ti wins hands down. But doesn't Al do the job just fine?

Loomy

Enlightened
Speaking of aluminum, not everyone appreciates it enough :) It is close to the perfect metal for so many applications, including flashlights. It is hard enough for almost any task, it can take many hard forms of anti-corrosion coloring, and it conducts heat like a dream. And to top all of that off, it is seriously inexpensive!

aceo07

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
I like titanium watches, I have several. The primary reason for my purchase was LIGHT WEIGHT.

The alloy of titanium is very important. I bought my first two titanium watches around the same time. One has become very scratched up (SEIKO) and the other is wearing terrific (CITIZEN).

The Seiko titanium is a silverish tone, almost like stainless it is polished in places. It has scratched like mad. I think they gave up some wear resistance with the ability to be polished.

The Citizen is a darker gray, all matte. This has resisted scratches and still looks new.

Back in the summer I bought a Skagen titanium. It's somewhere between the two colors, but with a brushed finish. It has has a few scratches already.

New in my collection is a traser titanium, it is more of a rosey bronze tint of titanium, fully matte. Only had it a month or so, but no scratches yet. Anywhere it has rubbed became slightly shinier than the rest.

All these watches are terrifically light and show no oxidation or tarnish. If I was to buy a flashlight in titanium, it would be for bling factor alone. As mentioned before, it doesn't transfer heat very well and drives the cost way up.

I never realized how easily titanium scratches until I got my Seiko Blue Samurai. It feels a lot lighter than it looks. Beautiful watch but the bracelet scratches easily against my desk.

I probably wouldn't care too much for a titanium flashlight since most of the flashlights I get are small and pretty light.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me likey Ti.

Its a personal thing for me. Even though I can't soley buy Ti for cost prohibitve reasons my collection would not be complete without some Ti. The one Ti light I have ATM seems to have held up really well. I know it has had some previous owners, it was carried and used and it still looks in tip top shape.

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advantage of being poor thermal conductivity of titanium makes it perfect for things you wear like wrist watch and bracelet or you have to hold when in use especially in cold surrounding. It is this comfort effect and much lighter weight that bring titanium into the market.
LightBright said:
That lack of thermal conductivity is why Titanium is popular for motorcycle racing (exhaust systems, valves, etc). Not so good for cooling a High Power LED. Has anybody here done heat testing / Lumen output on Luxeons?

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
I think its just the uniqueness factor. And it sounds cool to have a titanium flashlight.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blue karambot (karambit knife plus bottle opener) I made above are Titanium as well as the HDS clip. Easy to anodize to any color with just a DC power supply that is adjustable from around 0-120 volts. I made a Benchmade knife clip anodized gold that I wear all day every day in my back pocket where I sit on it and it still looks great. Ti is hard to work with but wears great if anodized - some colors are harder than others. They make diving knives out of Ti because they stand up to the harshest of corrosion in even saltwater environments. I'd have all my lights in Ti if I could afford it. I won't use bare aluminum lights because the Aluminum rubs off - you get it on your hands and it can end up in your system. I have long ago thrown away all my aluminum cooking utensils. I don't really want to open a can of worms here but for myself I am okay with Aluminum that is well anodized or coated but I only have one light that is bare and I'm not using it until I put Duracoat on it or get it anodized. Even though aluminum is not considered to be a heavy metal like lead, it can be toxic in excessive amounts and even in small amounts if it is deposited in the brain. Many of the symptoms of aluminum toxicity mimic those of Alzheimer's disease and osteoporosis. Colic, rickets, gastrointestinal problems, interference with the metabolism of calcium, extreme nervousness, anemia, headaches, decreased liver and kidney function, memory loss, speech problems, softening of the bones, and aching muscles can all be caused by aluminum toxicity.
So be careful with your aluminum stuff and if you've got a bare aluminum light that you use a lot you might want to consider some kind of coating for it. Have you noticed your fingers getting gray after handling something aluminum a lot? Many things can absorb through the skin into your system and of course if you eat with your hands and there are trace amounts of aluminum still on your hands it may end up in your system. I'm not a doctor but have been involved heavily in health and healing for over 40 years so these are just My Opinions.

Tritium

Enlightened
matrixshaman said:
The blue karambot (karambit knife plus bottle opener) I made above are Titanium as well as the HDS clip. Easy to anodize to any color with just a DC power supply that is adjustable from around 0-120 volts. I made a Benchmade knife clip anodized gold that I wear all day every day in my back pocket where I sit on it and it still looks great. Ti is hard to work with but wears great if anodized - some colors are harder than others. They make diving knives out of Ti because they stand up to the harshest of corrosion in even saltwater environments. I'd have all my lights in Ti if I could afford it. I won't use bare aluminum lights because the Aluminum rubs off - you get it on your hands and it can end up in your system. I have long ago thrown away all my aluminum cooking utensils. I don't really want to open a can of worms here but for myself I am okay with Aluminum that is well anodized or coated but I only have one light that is bare and I'm not using it until I put Duracoat on it or get it anodized. Even though aluminum is not considered to be a heavy metal like lead, it can be toxic in excessive amounts and even in small amounts if it is deposited in the brain. Many of the symptoms of aluminum toxicity mimic those of Alzheimer's disease and osteoporosis. Colic, rickets, gastrointestinal problems, interference with the metabolism of calcium, extreme nervousness, anemia, headaches, decreased liver and kidney function, memory loss, speech problems, softening of the bones, and aching muscles can all be caused by aluminum toxicity.
So be careful with your aluminum stuff and if you've got a bare aluminum light that you use a lot you might want to consider some kind of coating for it. Have you noticed your fingers getting gray after handling something aluminum a lot? Many things can absorb through the skin into your system and of course if you eat with your hands and there are trace amounts of aluminum still on your hands it may end up in your system. I'm not a doctor but have been involved heavily in health and healing for over 40 years so these are just My Opinions.

Refreshing comments, I didn't know anyone else thought about aluminum absorbtion into the brain as I do. I use Titanium utensils to eat with as well.

Thurmond

thelightdude

Newly Enlightened
matrixshaman said:

I have read many of these studies about aluminum. The scary thing is almost everyone uses antiperspirants, and many people take antacids, that contain aluminum. Many people use aluminum foil every day.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't septic sticks have aluminum in them? You put those right onto an open cut to chemically cauterize bleeding nick from shaving!

Martini

Enlightened
Re: Aluminum WILL kill you

Matrixshaman said:
Even though aluminum is not considered to be a heavy metal like lead, it can be toxic in excessive amounts and even in small amounts if it is deposited in the brain. Many of the symptoms of aluminum toxicity mimic those of Alzheimer's disease and osteoporosis. Colic, rickets, gastrointestinal problems, interference with the metabolism of calcium, extreme nervousness, anemia, headaches, decreased liver and kidney function, memory loss, speech problems, softening of the bones, and aching muscles can all be caused by aluminum toxicity.
All true, but I generally object to the alarmist reaction many people have taken to these facts. Aluminum makes up about 8% of the earth's crust, making it the third most common element after oxygen and silicon. Whether you lean toward evolution or intelligent design, the human body must be able to deal with such a ubiquitous element. Our society's extensive use of Al has definitely increased our daily exposure, but our bodies are pretty capable of dealing with it. Al absorption through the digestive tract is in the range of 1-3%. One pass through your [healthy] kidneys and there is close to 0% left in the bloodstream. Absorption through the skin varies by compound, and I've never seen anything conclusive enough about antiperspirants to condemn them or acquit them. The greatest danger with Aluminum, as far as I know, is inhalation. Anyone who works in the processing of aluminum could be at risk for various respiratory problems. For instance, inhalation of bauxite fumes can lead to pulmonary fibrosis. With all that said, I cook on cast iron, stainless steel, and copper (no Teflon either).

As something of a tea fanatic, I know that there are high amounts of aluminum in tea. And there are billions of people over thousands of years to attest to the safety of drinking tea. Dead horse beaten.

Better three days without food than one day without tea. - Chinese Proverb

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I just scanned this thread so I may have missed some comments. I guess Ti is possibly a fad and it has developed some bling; thanks to marketing.

I like it because I am lazy and not into maintenance. Ti is a good mistress because she looks good naked and doesn't mind being naked one bit! :nana: She doesn't need cosmetics or protection.

One advantage I didn't see mentioned is the fact that titanium oxide is electrically conductive whereas aluminium oxide is a good electrical isolator. Ti has a higher electrical resistance than Al but you have to get past any surface oxidation to take advantage of this.

Al is very low on the galvanic scale and actually a good sacrifical anode in galvanic environments. Dissimilar metals with a large gap on the nobility scale can set up a galvanic situation if moisture and salt are present. If you add a flow of electricity through these metals, you can really see some galvanic corrosion. Titanium on the other hand is a noble metal. My environment of choice has salt air and salt water present. Ti is my mistress cause she is beautiful in her naked state, coming in and out of the surf. :eek: Her beauty extends beyond her surface and she doesn't need any makeup. :p

greenLED

Flashaholic
EngrPaul said:
Temperature and Heat are like Volts and Current. If you don't mind confusing those two, then I guess you're in good shape.:grin2:
I understand the difference. My point is, for most everyone having a casual conversation, "temperature" is understood as the amount of heat they perceive, just like we generally think of "weight" as a surrogate for mass. So, yeah, we're in good shape. :)

Most everything will kill you, somehow, these days. Why worry about s l o w Al poisoning when it's more likely to have an accident in the shower? :nana:

McGizmo, don't go telling Darell about the lack of makeup, or he'll likely share some of his pics! :green:

Last edited: