Will Fenix become the world's largest and best known Flashlight company?

Z-Tab

Enlightened
If they can cut their prices in half, maybe. Nearly every post asking for flashlight recommendations limits their spending to $50, and that's people who are specifically looking for a high quality light and have made the effort to find and register for CPF. Most people will never even consider a light that costs more than $30.

Roger999

Enlightened

As far as LEO usage I was sure they preferred a simple two stage clicky switch (the SF one) in stressful situation, so they don't have to give too much attention to the flashlight. Isn' t it true:confused:?

Hmmm, not sure.

Pre-setting the head of a Fenix you will have the choice of two basic output levels as well when switching on :

Turbo mode or Low mode, without clicking through a menu. Switching between these two basic modes will just need to slightly twist the head of the light.

Cheers

RBR
For a "tactical" light, you'd want the maximum output to be available at all times, eg if you accidentally left the light loosened for low when you were in a rush, then you find yourself in a pickle later in the day and quickly draw out the light and your weapon and find out it's on low......This can be done with the SF 2 stage switch where you press lightly for low, and hard for high.

IMO the average person won't be bothered doing the extra 5minutes of research for a brighter light, so they just get a maglight from their local store.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not if they don't improve their product.
Why doesn't Fenix have five output modes? OP refectors?
The TK60 is effectively a 2.5 mode with alkalines (depending if the extension is attached)
Fenix should start moving to more neutral outputs [maybe Cree with have an outdoor-white, reduced CRI for enhanced output, xm-l]
By 2015 high CRI + neutral + high output will be the standard, someone should lead the way.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Not if they don't improve their product.
Why doesn't Fenix have five output modes? OP refectors?
The TK60 is effectively a 2.5 mode with alkalines (depending if the extension is attached)
Fenix should start moving to more neutral outputs [maybe Cree with have an outdoor-white, reduced CRI for enhanced output, xm-l]
By 2015 high CRI + neutral + high output will be the standard, someone should lead the way.

Their LD25 and LD40 use neutral emmiters, and they made neutral E21's.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what would happen if they were able to open a US manufacturing and repair facility? They would probably be even bigger in the US than they are now if 4-Sevens didn't decide to jump ship and start his own company. I don't know why they even let him continue to sell Fenix lights.

They had a lull for a while I think at Fenix, but I still love all my Fenix lights, starting with the Simple P1 and my latest the TK-35. I think they have some good people there now. They target the general market as much as possible, so there is room for more specialized lights, but they still deliver great value for your flashlight dollar. They have staying power, the others seem to last 2-3 years and then they are gone.

It's a big world out there, even without North America, they could become a very big name. There have been a few bigger companies in Europe sold recently, and I would not be surprised if competition with Fenix had something to do with it. My TK11s are still great lights, but not everyone loves the 18650 cell as much as I do.

So I don't know if they will become the largest and best known; I actually hope not, I prefer the smaller innovative companies that can stay connected to their customer base. I'm sure they will grow though; as soon as they find the right people to make it happen.

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened
Considering the fastest growing markets are in asia, there may be a flashlight maker with the world's highest total sales volume and we may not even know about them. For some perspective, the average Chinese TV show averages 3-4X more viewers than the Super Bowl, which is the most viewed event in NA. Same goes for the South American market. There are already many very popular brands all around the world that many of us have never heard of. It would be very difficult to calculate "world's best known." Maybe the best known brand in NA, Europe, Asia, etc, would be easier to figure out.

lasermax

Newly Enlightened
I had to have the fenix tk30 plenty of light for me and well built but I still support american made that's why I have more of surefire lights I like having warranty close by

AaronG

Enlightened
For the general market cheap products with more advertaising are the key to success. Fenix seems to fit better with the smaller quantity and higher quality market. So they are big but I don't think they'll displace other brands in the big box stores.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
REI sells Fenix stuff but there to expensive most people just buy the Colman, energizer and Mag-lite stuff. Personaly I like them better than Surefire because most of there comparable lights are half the price and a bit brighter.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as LEO usage I was sure they preferred a simple two stage clicky switch (the SF one) in stressful situation, so they don't have to give too much attention to the flashlight. Isn' t it true:confused:?

Hmmm, not sure.

Pre-setting the head of a Fenix you will have the choice of two basic output levels as well when switching on :

Turbo mode or Low mode, without clicking through a menu. Switching between these two basic modes will just need to slightly twist the head of the light.

Cheers

RBR

Clicky + Tacitcal do not mix imo.

Momentary is a must!

Quiksilver

Enlightened
I had to send my Fenix (LD05) to the US for repair. Purchased on eBay from outfittercountry.

They couldn't repair so they're replacing if I pay shipping.

My Fenix lights were good but fragile. The LD05 fell off a couch and died, while my LD20 fried it's own circuits.

Would be great if Surefire would put the latest emitters in their lights.

Right now, for the average person Fenix offers more bang for buck vs. other high end retailers. Most popular does not mean they're the best lights.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The world's biggest flashlight maker is the one that makes those plastic 2D incans that sell for $1 to $3. Unless Fenix can match them price wise, Fenix won't be the biggest.
In North America Energizer and Dorcy out sell Mag and Fenix any day of the week.

Re the rest of the world:
USD$1=5 Yuan. So a $15 Fenix E01 costs 75 Yuan - a lot of money over there.
During the uprising in Egypt the news commented the average pay there is $2 a day. After paying for food and lodging where do those people find the discretionary cash to afford a Fenix or Mag?

Fenix prides themselves as a premium flashlight company. It is unlikely they will make $1 flashlights any time soon.

srfreddy

Enlightened
The world's biggest flashlight maker is the one that makes those plastic 2D incans that sell for $1 to $3. Unless Fenix can match them price wise, Fenix won't be the biggest.
In North America Energizer and Dorcy out sell Mag and Fenix any day of the week.

Re the rest of the world:
USD$1=5 Yuan. So a $15 Fenix E01 costs 75 Yuan - a lot of money over there.
During the uprising in Egypt the news commented the average pay there is $2 a day. After paying for food and lodging where do those people find the discretionary cash to afford a Fenix or Mag?

Fenix prides themselves as a premium flashlight company. It is unlikely they will make $1 flashlights any time soon.

From what I've seen from my visits, yes, wages are lower, but there is much higher bang for the buck-every yuan really probably buys the equivilant of 1/3 of a dollar for daily items.