Wish List for Fenix L1D CE

Skibane

Enlightened
DavidD said:
have a 1 cell body with a 2 cell extender

As long as the extender accepts 2 AA NiMH cells, I'm with ya!

Fortunately, whatever accessories Fenix doesn't offer, someone else will -

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
Jay R said:
Some people are just never happy.... :shrug: :grin2:

Oh, I would be very happy with the 2 levels in an L1T style, or 3 levels in an P1D style. I EDC an L1P with ONE level and LOVE it!

But take a look at the number of HDS EDCs out there - there is even the thread named as such. And it has 4 levels which seems to be very popular!

How big of a hit is the U2? It is my impression that a large percentage of people who like surefire and can afford them, get a U2. People love its 6 levels.

How many with FF3s? And other small lights that have multiple, user defined levels?

I am not being "never happy". Fenix started with 1 level lights. Then they moved into 2 level lights. Now they are coming out with 3 level lights that max out at 135 lumen. The U2 maxs out at 80-120 depending on bin and utilizes 6 levels. All I am saying is that if you have a large span of available lumens, it becomes more VERSATILE with more levels.

As far as clicking through 5 levels, not fun. But none of the other lights mentioned above makes you choose them in order. Maybe the FF3, I don't know. If you have a force setting, and/or utilize an HDS EDC type selection process - single click=primary, double click=secondary, etc, why not wish for more levels?

Too complicated for some? Keep it simple? Maybe. But those that have the other lights above seem to really love them. Just a thought...

Last edited:

ackbar

Enlightened
I would like 3 levels + strobe. clicky to activate/deactivate the light. rotate head clockwise to cycle from low to med to hi then strobe. And perhaps rotating the head CCW for either max or user selectable.

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
My idea for the perfect small light.

I would like one that has a ring around the outside for continuous variability from 0 to full power, with a click switch tailcap. The ring would have a strong magnet in it and the inside of the light where the ring was would have small coils to detect the passage of the magnet in the ring. A microprocessor would detect the pulses and electronically alter the intensity setting. Under each small coil would be another strong magnet to provide magnetic detent of the ring. This setup would provide a waterproof variability mechanism, since there would be no opening in the body where the setting ring is. When you click the tailcap, the light just comes on where it was last set. The light would be programmable as to how many "pulses" constitute 0 to full power. That way I could just have 3 settings, or 50 settings. If I turn the ring past full, it just stays on full. If I turn it below 0, it just stays on 0. This is like all modern volume controls work on your car radio. You click the knob in to turn it on, and you rotate it to increase the volume. It has no stopping point.

To program the number of levels, simply set the light at it's lowest level, press and hold the power switch in, and keep turning the ring until you have moved it the number of "bumps" that you want to get to full power. The light can blink for each bump, indicating it is getting the message.

This way you can have an all on or off light, or one that has 500 different setting levels.

The light would also have a magnetic flat spot on it that I can use to affix it to my refrigerator, or any other spot where I have strateigically mounted a magnet (like my bedpost or my baseball cap).

RickB

Newly Enlightened
Moat said:
... Just give me MAX, flat-line performance, from a single AA.

Really, I guess an L1T-CE (with a 1-3 Lumen low) is all I'd like. Two-stage w/tailstanding clickie.

+1 from me for this one! (Although I'm not picky about the low setting, up to 10 lumens would be fine with me.)

-Rick

RickB

Newly Enlightened
CodeOfLight said:

I would like one that has a ring around the outside for continuous variability from 0 to full power, with a click switch tailcap.
[ ... ]
This way you can have an all on or off light, or one that has 500 different setting levels.

Sounds cool. Maybe for a P1D-CE "Ultimate" edition or similar. I think there would still be a need for a basic KISS model in addition. More choices = more better, right?

-Rick

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
I keep thinking more and more about the L1p w/ cree that's listed on fenix-store.com, lack of details is the only reason I haven't ordered yet.

Ok it's lack of funds not details, but with details I probably couldn't resist. :)

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
tron3 said:
I think there is only one solution here to make everyone happy.

The P1D-CE must have a usb port adaptor. Screw the head into it, and re-program the light the way you wish with the included software. :laughing:

Dang, I think I just gave away a brilliant idea. :huh:

Can not tell you how much this is exactly what is needed..... No ones needs are the same, in fact most peoples needs change, ie your camping light needs are not the same as your everyday houshold needs. If it was easy to adjust the operation of the light you would have the start of a wonderfull future. As much sense as this makes and as much knowhow as there is in the industry I would have to think that a year from now this will be commonplace in high end lights.

evgeniy

Newly Enlightened
L2D-SE - it will be nice. 2 cell body.
voltage - prefer form 1V - for NiMH, no from 1.2.
click - on/off
light levels order - (if it possible - mark it on ring)

High: 65-70 lumen
Med: 30-35 lumen
Low: prefer 15 lumen
Min: prefer 2 lumen
Max: 135 lumen

Newly Enlightened
I would also like a L1D-CE - I think the reverse clicky will finally make sense! Would love for this light to be able to use 3.7V rechargables.

I have an LOP-SE and would like to get an LOD-CE, especially if they make a few small changes.

1) Make the knurling on the head deeper
2) Move the knurling closer to the end of the head
3) Shorten the head length
4) Tweak the threads to reduce freeplay between the head and body

The above changes would make the light MUCH easier to function one handed. I typically "bounce" through a few levels when turning my light on. I have no trouble with my Arc.

I would LOVE the ability to use 3.7V rechargables - I have seen AWESOME beam shots of the LOP-SE using them (briefly). 3.7V li-ion and a Cree would be awesome!! => would need to keep a low (5 lumens max) for theaters etc. . .

So all in all, I like the idea of the extra levels. I think there is a strong case for low to come first. I think a tailcap will be easier to cycle through more levels than a twisty.

Wonder if Fenix (or 47s) could bundle:
L1D-CE
LOD-CE
2 AA sized protected li-ion
2 AAA sized protected li-ion (have not seen)
Smart charger

=> My birthday is in February. I can dream right?

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Honestly, I don't even care at this point.

Fenix and 47's will like what i'm about to say:

I just want a cree-based light that runs on AA's ... it could have 70 selectable levels ... I don't care. I just want one. Once I get one then i'm sure i'll come to my senses and want appropriate levels and design ... but until then I just want something that runs on AA's.

LowTEC

Enlightened
bill_n_opus said:
Honestly, I don't even care at this point.

Fenix and 47's will like what i'm about to say:

I just want a cree-based light that runs on AA's ... it could have 70 selectable levels ... I don't care. I just want one. Once I get one then i'm sure i'll come to my senses and want appropriate levels and design ... but until then I just want something that runs on AA's.

Seems like you don't care about anything, then you may go ahead and press the "Add to cart" button right here: http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_30&products_id=155 :grin2:

osalsa

Newly Enlightened
I have become absolutely converted to the 1xAAA concept. Wear it on a lanyard around my neck and under my shirt, it's like it's not there. Add the Cree and two or three brightness levels: 4-5 lumens, 15-30 lumens, and for high, whatever the AAA will feed for an hour. And low to high, IN THAT ORDER PLEASE! Twisty is ok, because I use low 95% of the time. No big deal to twist on and off in those rare occasions when high is used.

Wow! That would be nice!

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes me wonder if by the time the whole Fenix range is converted over to Cree based lights that Lumileds may have brought out their new emitters. Time will tell.

Blinding

Newly Enlightened
CodeOfLight said:

I would like one that has a ring around the outside for continuous variability from 0 to full power, with a click switch tailcap. The ring would have a strong magnet in it

The ACR Firefly Plus has a switch much like you describe. By rotating the ring it can select strobe, off, or beam. The magnet switches through the case so there can be no leaks through the switch. The actual contacts are metal and
make the connection when the magnet pulls on them.

But an electronic switch like you describe would seem to
need some standby power to sense the magnet position. This would drain the battery when it was sitting idle.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
LowTEC said:
Seems like you don't care about anything, then you may go ahead and press the "Add to cart" button right here: http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_30&products_id=155 :grin2:

Ok, i'll have to pull back a little. :sssh:

100 bucks for a modded L1P is a bit rich for my blood ... I'm waiting for a Fenix-manufactured L1 or L2-type light with the Cree emitter. I figure that we're talking 55-65 bucks when it comes out. That's what i'm waiting for. :sold:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree... good suggestion...

i would like to have the light 1xAA (including 14500 li-ions). w/ clickly... however, i really love to have some sort of red light option... maybe a small kroma style... XR-E, with a ring of 3mm RED led's around the reflector...

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
i agree... good suggestion...

i would like to have the light 1xAA (including 14500 li-ions). w/ clickly... however, i really love to have some sort of red light option... maybe a small kroma style... XR-E, with a ring of 3mm RED led's around the reflector...
That's hard to get all that in such a small package. I'm guessing LRI will eventually unveil a model like their prototype Proton with two 3mm red LEDs and a Cree emitter. I'm also guessing they are keeping it hush hush until release because of all the previous criticism during their last development.

Nadrek

Newly Enlightened
leeleefocus said:
1-3 lumens low
Tail cap clickie as they have already got but have the modes selectable by a twist ring or by twisting the head so you can put the light into the mode that you want before you turn it on. This will probably make the light expensive though beacause it is more difficult for the manufacturer to make a light with a physical selector rather than a digital selector. I hope my terminology is correct.

+1 - though I'd note you could digitally control levels via a physical switch, too, if you had a few input lines.

I don't want to have to cycle - I'll accept it, but I want to set the light and use the light, and I'll change the light when I want it changed, and not if I don't. Since they already made a point of doing this with the T series, let's do it more and better now.