Wolf-Eyes Thunder 3-cree LED ????

cchurchi

Enlightened
Because the Boxer and M300 both have their bezels threaded for lens retainer rings, I assume the Storm would have the same design. This would make the light ideal for a threaded diffuser that would screw into the bezel. The Storms output, runtime, and the fact that it can tailstand would make it the ultimate lantern/flashlight combo.

If Wolf-Eyes dosen't offer a screw on diffuser, I'm hoping I can have one made.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well.... so far, I like the Thunder a bit better than the Storm, only because it appears that it will run with 4xCR123 batteries as well as 2x18650 rechargeables, and the Storm appears to run only on the 3x18650 rechargeables (please correct if I'm wrong). I just think it is important for a light to be able to run with primaries for those times when it's needed, even though the extra runtime afforded by the 3x18650 platform is very attractive.

And, while I'm very happy that they are offering these lights with a lower level, they would be darn near perfect with the addition of a good solid 100-200 lumen middle level.

I mean, that 100 lumen range is what I find myself using quite a bit for walking about, doing things at night... and having a light that would do that easily, with the added bonus of being able to kick in the 510 lumens for the odd times that you wanted it, but also having the 30 lumen low for close-up stuff (or super long run times)..... well.... that would make for a darn near perfect light.

Anyway, these look to be excellent additions to the Wolf-Eyes line up, and I'll look forward to hearing how folks like them.

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions! We are going to keep it simple for now with only 2 modes.

Okay, we have some more specs for you.

THUNDER AX
Output power: 510 Lumens
Continuous runtime: 70 minutes regulated on high with a total runtime 10+ hours
Lamp assembly: D23 *Q Bin* Cree LED
Battery type: 4 CR123A Lithium
Tail cap: Tactical Button
Body diameter: 25.4mm or 1"
Bezel diameter: 62.2mm or 2.45"
Length: 226mm or 8.9"

THUNDER A Rechargeable
Output power: 510 Lumens
Continuous runtime: 80 minutes regulated on high with a total runtime 2+ hours
Battery type: 2 LRB168A Li-ion Rechargeable
Tail cap: Tactical Button
Body diameter: 25.4mm or 1"
Length: 226mm or 8.9"

STORM
Output power: 510 Lumen
Continuous runtime: 140 minutes on high with a total runtime 3+ hours
Battery type: 3 - LRB168A Li-ion Rechargeable
Tail cap: Button switch
Body diameter: 46.4mm or 1.83"
Length: 151mm or 5.95"

Likebright

Enlightened
Ordered My Storm 3 today.
Got an extra battery magazine too.
This looks to be quite a light!
Over 500 lumen from a light under 6" long.
Can't wait till PTS gets em in. :popcorn:
Mike

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Mike,
I wonder if you could clarify a point for me about the available power sources for the Thunder A and the Thunder AX.

Your site shows that both lights can run off either 2xLRB 168A rechargeable batteries or 4xCR123 primary batteries. But in your post above, you list the AX as using 4xCR123 batteries, and the A as using 2xLRB 168A batteries.

I'm hoping that the Thunder will use both types, as that would make it much more attractive. Thanks, either way it's a definite step in the right direction.

j3bnl

Enlightened
The AX is supplied with 4x cr123 and the A with the 2x LRB-168A. They are as far as I know the same light, its just a difference in what is supplied with them.
The A with primaries the AX with the rechargeables, the M90 is the same.

Brian

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AX is supplied with 4x cr123 and the A with the 2x LRB-168A. They are as far as I know the same light, its just a difference in what is supplied with them.

Brian
That was pretty much what I figured Brian, I was just a bit confused by Mike of PT's post.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice looking specs, especially the runtime on the Storm.
I like the idea of a 2-mode light. High and low are all I need. I grow weary of the generic 5-mode. Generally they never use the mode order that I'd want, and their low is never low enough. (If they ever did user programable UIs I would be all for it.)
The red 5mm leds would be a great addition too, so hopefully WE will work on that in a future version.

I think this one is going to win me (and my money) over.

Likebright

Enlightened

Brian

My guess would be that the circuit is optimized for the two 3.7v recharable batteries in the Thunder A and is optimized for the 4 123A batteries in the AX model.
JM2¢
Mike

Quinn_Inuit

Newly Enlightened
Dang. That's a lot of light.

I just wanted to pipe up and say that Mike at PTS rules. Great service, great selection, great prices.

Ericz23

Newly Enlightened
I NEED THIS LIGHT!!!!!!!!! When will it be out??????:rock::rock:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
The THUNDER-A and AX are the same flashlight and will run both CR123A and LRB168A/18650 batteries since versatility has always been one of Wolf Eyes goals. Expected release will be in mid September if all goes as planed.

Quinn_Inuit
Thanks for the kind words :D

Likebright

Enlightened
The THUNDER-A and AX are the same flashlight and will run both CR123A and LRB168A/18650 batteries since versatility has always been one of Wolf Eyes goals. Expected release will be in mid September if all goes as planed.

Mike, now I am curious. :thinking:
Why'd they make a A and an AX model and not just one 'Thunder' then?

Mike

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike, now I am curious. :thinking:
Why'd they make a A and an AX model and not just one 'Thunder' then?

Mike
I believe those designations merely refer to which battery options you choose to receive with the 'Thunder' light, either 4xCR123 batteries, or 2xLRB168a batteries and charger. The light is the same in either case, and will run off either primary CR123 or rechargeable 18650 batteries.

The 'Storm' will only operate with 3x18650 (or LRB168a) rechargeable batteries, so it is only offered in that configuration. Please correct me if I've misinterpreted things.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, with all that said. Which one do I get, the Thunder or the Storm? :thinking: Too bad there isn't a Lightning. :crackup:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Derek Dean,
Thanks for clarifying that for us :D

Now, with all that said. Which one do I get, the Thunder or the Storm? :thinking: Too bad there isn't a Lightning. :crackup:
If you can't decide on one, get both. :devil:
The Lightning :thinking: I like that name though, It would have to be a BAD A$$ flashlight to live up to that name. THUNDER, STORM AND LIGHTNING kinda sounds good together too. We could call them the bad weather collection. :crackup:

Latest posts