Worth it to go from Inova Microlight to Fenix E01?

tracerit

Newly Enlightened
The Microlight seems to die very quickly... luckily I have like 10 spare CR2016 batteries around from buying a bunch of cheap LED lights for $5 haha. I read a review that the E01 has similar output to the Photon Freedom, and the Photon Freedom is similar to the Inova Microlight.

Would it be worth it to go tot he Fenix E01 from the Inova Microlight or should I save the $15 for a 2xAA type flashlight? My budget for the 2xAA flashlight would be $40-60, but I might just go with a cheap $20-25 2xAA light from dealextreme.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your purpose for purchasing the light? Key chain? Portability? Brightness? Run time?

I personally own an E01 and the run time on this light is very impressive, not to mention, you don't have to deal with the car remote batteries, as these run off of AAA batteries which are easier to come by and not to mention cheaper.

Answer the question above first so we can narrow down the proper lights for your situation.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
E01 --> true edc

2*AA (1*18650) --> "real" light w. power and so on. Much less runtime on full.
Much bigger = no EDC (at least no unnoticed EDC)

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Microlight seems to die very quickly... luckily I have like 10 spare CR2016 batteries around from buying a bunch of cheap LED lights for $5 haha. I read a review that the E01 has similar output to the Photon Freedom, and the Photon Freedom is similar to the Inova Microlight.

Would it be worth it to go tot he Fenix E01 from the Inova Microlight or should I save the $15 for a 2xAA type flashlight? My budget for the 2xAA flashlight would be $40-60, but I might just go with a cheap $20-25 2xAA light from dealextreme.

Remember you get what you pay for by going the cheap route...
The E01 is cheap for what you get with your $15. It is very durable, waterproof, very long run time, and also a moonlight mode when your batteries are nearing their end.

Look into the Fenix L1D Q5 (1xAA) for a portable multi-mode clicky (Low,Med,High,SOS,Strobe). The Fenix LD01 (1xAAA) for a powerful key-chain twisty. The Nitecore D10 R2 (1xAA) for a dependable EDC light with 100 levels of brightness and piston drive (around $65 but worth every penny). Just to name a few that you should consider looking into close to your price range.

But to answer your original question... yes it is worth the switch from the Inova you owned to the Fenix E01. 100% :thumbsup:. If for any reason you do not like the light, it makes a great present! lol

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do note that the E01 is significatly bigger and heavier than the Microlight. If you want something similar to the Microlight but with more functions, then get the Photon Microlight. There is no better Coincell light made, honestly.

If you want extremly long runtime, use the E01. Just make sure if you are running alkalines in there, not to leave it on for more then 12 or so hours as it WILL leak if the battery dies, and its still "on", and destroy your light, Ive lost an E01 to this.

I honestly think its worth it to get the 40-60 dollar 2 x AA light. Selfbuilt has a MASSIVE thread on 2xAA lights
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890

that should get you where you need to go. If you WANT to get something in the 30 dollar range, the Fenix E20 is probably the best option in that range.

Crenshaw

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
as a former Ultra-light backpacker, i know that Photon Microlights are all the rage w/this group of "gram-weenies" as we affectionately refer to ourselves.

however, ANY microlight operated off of Li coin cells is a very inferior illumination source. in fact, i'll go as far to say that ANY light (i probably own virtually ALL of them) operated off of Li coin cells (even FOUR such cells in a parallel-series arrangement) is an inferior illumination source, IMO (YMMV).

every light output curve that i've seen, whether a single mode light, or a multi-mode light (e.g. Petzl e+LITE and PrincetonTec Scout) operated on HIGH, after only 15minutes of continuous operation (30 minutes at the most in any Li coin cell powered light) is outputting only 25% of its initial light output. for example the ~300 lux of the e+LITE on HIGH (3x5mm white LEDs) is down to ~75lux somewhere b/t 15 and 30 minutes (my "old-timers" is actin' up and i'm forgettin' the exact time, though i'm leanin' towards the 15min number).

far, far better for long burning, small, lightweight task/proximity lighting is a 9V Pak-Lite, an Arc-P, a Fenix E0 (no longer Mfr'd), or a Fenix E01. there really is no comparison between them and a coin cell powered microlight. once i used one, this "weenie" was more than happy to carry a bunch of extra "grams" to have a superior source of task/proximity illumination.

the best thing that i've done with some of my many Photon Microlights is to sacrifice the clip mount that comes with it, modify it slightly by clipping off anything that protrudes upward from the flat base, use some sticky back Velcro that comes with the 9V Pak-Lite and use the hook Velcro on the now flat surface of the Microlight clip mount base, and loop Velcro on a light's body even if it's round/cylindrical (or rechargeable 9V battery for the Pak-Lite) to make a very nice directable hat brim, pack-strap clip for these other small lights to permit hands-free operation.

give it a whirl and i think that you will become a convert to the anti-microlight faith too.

EDIT
----
my favorite small 1xAAA light right now is the LiteFlux LF2XT. it is so flexible in terms of its user configuration/"programming" that it would be the one light i would definitely take if i were going "ultra-light". the fact that i can configure it for VERY-low output levels, yet also for brighter output (albeit with a much shorter burntime) makes it a "must have" don't leave home without it for me (either on an evening stroll in the woods or to the office for work). it is an EDC for me now. i have two of them. on one of them, i've left the standard included clip on the light. on the other, i removed the clip and installed the included "ring". the ring plus a plastic quick disconnect from Lighthound.com allows it to be securely carried on a key-ring or "biner" in the pocket, yet quickly removed using just one hand for use. i've also added a Fenix AAA-body clip to this second LF2XT to allow bezel up carry in the pocket, but really more for clipping the light to a ballcap or visor brim for hands-free operation.

Last edited:

tracerit

Newly Enlightened
that liteflux lf2xt looks pretty good but it's too expensive for a light i'll use sparingly on my keychain :/

how many lumens is the inova microlight? i just put in new batteries and it's much brighter than it was before but we'll see how long it'll last this time.

in the meantime, i'm looking at a 2xAA light. thanks for the link to the roundup! :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
yes the E01 is a step up in every way.... brightness, run time, beam quality/color, durability, and YES even size.

the Inova microlight has a TERRIBLE key-hoop attachment design. It forces the light body to rest perpendicular to your keys so the whole thing does not lie flat with a stack of keys.

the only drawback is weight.

Go for it!! I ditched my microlight for a gerber tempo and an E0. it was a worthy investment IMHO.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
For keychain I think the E01 is ideal. Inexpensive, long runtime, durable and readily available battery size. I suggest using a lithium battery in it if you are not going to use it frequently for the lower self discharge and also to avoid any leakage that can occur with alkalines.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
In defense of my Microlight :)p) i have two reasons i keep it there

Its much smaller than Any AAA light, and my Keys are already heavy (with only 3 keys on it, go figure)

and the fact that it has SOS, and the E01 doesnt. I have always thought that i should carry something that has its own SOS function, you'd never know when you'd need it. For this reason, I bought the Lf2X waiting to be replaces by the LF2Xt, so its going to sit on my shelf for awhile.

Crenshaw

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you like having strobe, try the Photon Freedom. It is my favorite keychain light, hands down. The ultra low low is awesome. Best light out there for <$10 IMO.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
FYI tracerit: The INOVA Microlight is notorious for being turned on spontaneously just from static electricity. I have observed this first hand several times. Probably the main reason that yours is going thru batteries so fast. It's a good reason to move on to something else. If you still want to use it then buy your batteries thru Digi-Key. I think they're something like 40 cents each. They're like ~$3 each at B&M stores.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Photon Rex is worth looking into, it has the same UI as the Photon Freedom and is rechargeable. The E01 is a great light that's really reliable, you won't regret getting one. As for 2aa, the Eagletac P100A2 has excellent value/bang for the buck.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova microlight will also die a messy death with rough handling - the E01 won't.

Microlights were all the rage while I was deployed because that was typically the only thing the PX had - as a result, you also saw a fair amount of shattered corpses of Microlights all over the place.

I sport an Arc AAA on my keychain - I know it'll take (and has taken) abuse that would have shredded a Microlight. The SOS strobe won't do you any good if the light is already broken from whatever made you need a strobe.

Food for thought: if you anticipate the potential need for a strobe, buy a microlight for that express purpose. For day to day wear, go with the one that has the better odds of working when you need it.

-Trevor