Xeray 250 Watt HID Flashlight Project Discussions

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL!... been around.... busy as everyone..... still love flashlights.. getting ready to go to the DFW flashpaooza... "is that how you spell it?"... anyway, my latest passion is my Victory Vegas Arlen Ness Motorcycle.... all tricked out and stinkin fast!..... but I suppose 130mph in lickady split is not as fast as light!.....

Good to hear from you again... thanks for checking in and saying hello.

Seems we are always in search of the latest masterblaster of sorts... I do love the instant on of LED's for personal security though.....

Seems after having the old Xeray tweaked up to max, other than my Mule I haven't seen extraordinary improvements personally .... at least not enough to make me jump up and down and spend more money....

I think if someone wants to attract the crowds enough to empty their wallets, it will take something very portable, actually usable "not gigantic, obtrusive and clunky", and realistic battery life......

In search of the Holy Grail..... I know you've been working on some projects of your own.. but I never heard the final outcomes.... I know this is not the thread, but PM me if you have any enlightenment!

Is there another thread on this that I missed? If not, this project must be dead, XeRay hasn't said anything in this thread since September 2010, and there was never any concrete information. It sounds like a fun concept, but it's not even vaporware at this point.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Dan "xeray" doesn't have time to mess with it.. maybe he could endorse and underwrite someone else to manage this project?

Surely there are tons of applications where it would be desired in search and rescue as well as hobbyist.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Hello Windy! I remember back in one of the conversations where Dan expressed a personal concern and/or corporate liability risk about even the BB being abused with its really bright output light. May also have been a factor, but who knows for sure besides him? I see you sold your BB & Acro. :(

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I'm bad about giving away or selling lights except the ones I actually use..... hard to build a collection that way.... but I tend to keep the best until I upgrade.
Just went to a light show and while there were many cool lights, I only brought a few which where my 1.9w blue laser, SR 90 Olight led, and my HID Mule... all of which were brightest/strongest in their category.

I did really like the catapult V3..... it actually held its own against my SR90.. while not as bright, it was amazing for its size.
I"ll be looking for one or similar because the SR90 is not super portable to throw in a suitcase or back pocket... its a real beast.

But good to hear from you again too!......

I can't speak for Dan, but when the BB first came out.. it was head and shoulders above the rest "by far" in its class.... good reason for liability concerns... but now I can't see that being an issue. Whether we buy a gun, bow, blowdart, or even a light not normally assumed to be dangerous... we are all responsible "ourselves" for how we use them.... hard to blame the manufacturer and say... Gee.. I didn't know it would burn me, or I didn't know if I shined it in a bicyclists eyes at night he would immediately run off a cliff or in the ditch and hit a tree..... LOL!

Good to see some of the old crew come out of the woodwork!.... those were fun days when we all rallied around the BB and sang its praises......
would be fun to see that again.....

missionaryman

Enlightened
I remember reading about the Barn Burner when it was being concocted then seeing the beam shots post release and being floored by its performance.

There just doesn't seem to be that level of development any more, maybe we're on the other side of the technological J curve now but it would be good to have something to be excited about once again.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
The technology is there.... just risky to develop and expend too much capitol.
HID has lost its glimmer with the amazing advancements of LED.... "no warmup time.... in many cases exact kelvin of frequency, effects of strobe etc if needed etc.
They all still run pretty hot, but HID is hotter making it more dangerous if it inadvertently gets turned on while in storage or transit.

I've seem some pretty elaborate hosts for LED lights, but seems the HID stuff just isn't being developed too much.
Many of the auto's have had major problems with HID bulbs going out prematurely giving them a bad rap.

And not many folks are really willing to spend hundreds "(greater than 2 - 300.00) on a light they will rarely use except to showcase to their friends.

I find I use my small pocket lights far more than I ever would the others.... but like a big gun, theres nothing like it when you need it!

I'm still awaiting to see what BVH is releasing... "hint, Hint"....

He has some mighty fine looking projects going.... very powerful, focused with lots of throw and not too heavy.

But I also understand marketing this stuff can take the fun out of building it!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
The technology is there.... just risky to develop and expend too much capitol.
HID has lost its glimmer with the amazing advancements of LED.... "no warmup time.... in many cases exact kelvin of frequency, effects of strobe etc if needed etc.
They all still run pretty hot, but HID is hotter making it more dangerous if it inadvertently gets turned on while in storage or transit.

I've seem some pretty elaborate hosts for LED lights, but seems the HID stuff just isn't being developed too much.
Many of the auto's have had major problems with HID bulbs going out prematurely giving them a bad rap.

And not many folks are really willing to spend hundreds "(greater than 2 - 300.00) on a light they will rarely use except to showcase to their friends.

I find I use my small pocket lights far more than I ever would the others.... but like a big gun, theres nothing like it when you need it!

I'm still awaiting to see what BVH is releasing... "hint, Hint"....

He has some mighty fine looking projects going.... very powerful, focused with lots of throw and not too heavy.

But I also understand marketing this stuff can take the fun out of building it!

well, it's not a leap in advancement, but with my Hand-Sun lights, i endeavored to make an HID useful and affordable. it has the throw alot of people are impressed with and desire for WoW factor, yet in flood mode, provides alot of useful light over a wide are. it's not horridly heavy, and at less then $200, the "everyman" can afford it. given it may not be as everyday useful as a LED EDC, but like u said, when ya need a big gun...

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, with the introduction of HID at walmart, costco, cabelas etc, its hard for they hobbyist to come out profitable unless he blows away the competition.

While LED is quite impressive "like my Olight SR90", or the catapult V3 "much smaller", nothing stands up to the very high end HID's....

One factor not being mentioned here is the need for a massive sized reflector to really blow anyone away.... Reflectors are only so efficient and seems you have to really crank up the power, heat, battery weight etc for a negligible payoff with a given size reflector.

Whether LED or HID.... reflector size matters a lot.... and few people want to walk around with a massive light.

I do like my Mule... it turns night into day.... but you know you have a light in your hand when you carry it!

sven_m

Newly Enlightened
While the project might just have stalled, or never have been more than a "feeler" like Windstrings reminds, let alone LEDs being tough alternatives meanwhile,

I wonder if UHP lamps (200 atm.) aka beamer/projector lamps also might be a threat to such a project?
That's why my first question about the 250W metal halide project would be: what arc length?

After I have compared UHP and metal halide, I wouldn't want to fiddle again with arc lengths much higher than 1 mm, if investing a lot of effort.
And conventional metal halide bulbs have an arc length between 4 and 7 mm.
With these ~1mm UHP lamps you get a pure thrower with a reflector diameter of only 5-6cm / 2".
See ma_sha1's projects. I'm also running a self built 120W 1mm UHP.
If it's about a more usable torch like a Polarion, even smaller reflectors would do it (although I only know fixed mirrors among the 120W type).

Or I just might have overlooked some news which backs up or contradicts this?
I just've searched the HID area for more info but haven't found any.

PS: My 2nd question would be: how to cool a 250W device and stay somewhat water resistant?...

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dan. Times still aren't that good but thought I'd check for any updates?

Well, we will have a unit to outperform the Polarion, the wattage will be dual 50/70 watts, waterproof to a reasonable dive depth, electroformed reflector.
Also a 35/50 watt model, for longer runtimes from each battery.

Easy battery change over. All hard anodized aluminum housings. You should get the details from me here on CPF, by the end of March the latest. We will make a big splash when we unveil. I would announce and unveil in late Jan or early February, but I will be on an almost 4 weeks vacation / business trip. Late Jan. to late Feb. Once I am back and caught my breath, we will unveil it here 1st.

Roursch

Newly Enlightened
I would be very interested in this light if your going to sell to some of the member from CPF.

The thread seems to original say 250W, but its an old thread so. Is it going to be up to 70W or something only?