XR-E Modified PD failed in a Blizzard!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my primary light failed like that i'd be sad. Gently put it away and pull out my 1AAA backup. If my backup failed I'd pull out my second 1AAA backup backup. If that failed I'd use my keychain light. If that failed I'd use my other keychain light. If that failed I've got two or three others stashed away that might work.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Lithium batteries are the best performers in cold conditions compared to other chemistries.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, Benny. I'm glad you and your family got through it ok! Just goes to show that you gotta choose your modders carefully. There are only a handful I trust and I deal with them only. I, too, found out who did your mod... its unfortunate that you paid so much money to "upgrade" to something less reliable.

I had a light fail on me as well (under much better conditions than yours) and it was modded by a third party. After that, I've learned my lesson and I only go to those who I trust....those who have a lot of experience in doing mods....

Rule of thumb: don't mess with Don's creations.... :grin2:

I carry 2 backups at all times...

WP

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
BVH said:
While on the subject of very cold temps and our lights, aren't some of the lithium batteries poor or non-performers in very cold temps or is it the Nimh batteries. I can't remember. Is it possible this is what happened?

NiMH fail well before Lithium primaries or LiIon. NiMH don't like cold in general. The same with Alkalines. Lithium's are the only way to go for extreme conditions.

- Chris

paulr

Flashaholic
Also if the L0PSE was working right I'm surprised you couldn't find your way with it. It's less powerful than the PD but it's not a slouch, especially once your vision is dark adapted.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
paulr said:
Also if the L0PSE was working right I'm surprised you couldn't find your way with it. It's less powerful than the PD but it's not a slouch, especially once your vision is dark adapted.
Good point, however if it's a blizzard, you need a *bright* light to cut through heavy snowfall... especially if it's lighting the way for four people.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus one for abvidledUK's comment: it's a good idea to use factory stock equipment for something which has to work when needed. There may be subtleties of engineering (or just plain lucky design verified by many, many other users) which you can upset with a mod.

Unless it's a known unreliable POS to begin with, in which case I'd consider starting with a better piece of equipment...

paulr

Flashaholic
jch79 said:
Good point, however if it's a blizzard, you need a *bright* light to cut through heavy snowfall... especially if it's lighting the way for four people.
Point is that the PD isn't THAT much brighter than the L0PSE. The white color might not have been the best for a blizzard either. This situation may have called for a spotlight.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
paulr said:
Point is that the PD isn't THAT much brighter than the L0PSE. The white color might not have been the best for a blizzard either.
Good call on both statements. :)

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
Point is that the PD isn't THAT much brighter than the L0PSE. The white color might not have been the best for a blizzard either. This situation may have called for a spotlight.

To correct you on this,

A Modified PD with the XR-E or Seoul P4 is 4 Times as bright as the LOPSE.If not even more powerful.
The PD really helped when it worked.The LOPSE didnt give much help in the Blizzard.
Sure for seeing my feet it could have done a good job if that was the purpose.

Benny

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the support guys,

Keep in mind,this is not the thread to find out who did the mod and go bash him.I posted this to give people a warning about choosing your modders with care.It doesent matter who did it.

Just take your time when doing a mod like this and Use a backup,that is my word of advice.

CPF has lots to learn from the Old timers here,who really take pride in theire lights and mods.

Those of you talking about using a Arc AAA or similar light as backup....
Well Needless to say those peashoters are ok if the weather is nice or you get lost in the living room.:nana:
I could not see my own feet in the blizard,the snow was so thick we could barely see eachother.
The LOPSE only made a wall of snow right in my face.It was more distracting than any use in a extreme situation like this.

Benny

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
a larger light has a larger optic/reflector. even if a smaller light is pushing the same lumens, in such a situation, you need the larger light to focus and push the beam down range instead of flooding out..

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Benny, what an experience. :sweat: That reminds me of the Blizzard of 93' in NY.
I'm glad you and your family made it out OK.

If it help any, I can re-mod your PD like this for $000. So you'll be a little bit more prepared next time. Drop me a PM.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the point I was making in that "Emergency Light" thread.
If that board dies, you're screwed.

Not a popular answer, but in an emergency situation, give me that 2D Maglite with a PR base and an incan or extra LED bulb in the tailcap coupled with throw and runtime, everytime.

Glad to hear you and yours are safe.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
25 minus Degrees Celsius NOW that's cold -13 F

(I had to look it up because Celsius wasn't taught way back when I was in school! :ohgeez: )

It's -3c or 26f here and I just froze my butt off taking the trash out...

Glad you and the family made it OK and that sure was a nice gesture by MM, what a nice Mod he has there for the PD too.

I know you have a Microfire Warrior II 24w HID; have you had any problems with it striking in cold temps. Mine won't fire-up when it gets around 0c or a little higher...

Glen C

Enlightened
Benny, sorry to read about your unfortunate night. I hope this never happens again to you and your family.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
Never trust a modded light.

Even if you modded it yourself.

And yes, always carry backup(s). Batts too.

Even a 49c keychain light from DX (and others) is worth while.

5 hours RT !!

That's 10 cents per hour, well worth it.

I would have to disagree with your statement :) I would rather take one of the lights I have modded over anything store bought as I know the quality of all the components that go into them.

Mac

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lips said:
25 minus Degrees Celsius NOW that's cold -13 F

(I had to look it up because Celsius wasn't taught way back when I was in school! :ohgeez: )

It's -3c or 26f here and I just froze my butt off taking the trash out...

Glad you and the family made it OK and that sure was a nice gesture by MM, what a nice Mod he has there for the PD too.

I know you have a Microfire Warrior II 24w HID; have you had any problems with it striking in cold temps. Mine won't fire-up when it gets around 0c or a little higher...

Its friggin cold i tell ya :)

My K2000R works every time,i had it with me to our cabin.Went back after it the day after the Blizard.Fired up with no problems,temperature was 27 minus degrees Celsius that day.

Im sorry yours doesent work,maybe it has a bad connection somewhere.
You should contact the seller asking for a new battery pack.

Benny

Latest posts