XTAR - CES 2014 - VP2 charger

cyclesport

Enlightened
I was eventually thinking of selling my VP1 and getting the VP2 but is it really worth the upgrade and really is there much of a difference...

See comparison post #90 in this thread...the key diff's for me are LiFePO charging and USB port on the VP2.

Turak

Newly Enlightened
Ah finally....

Replacements/new units will be shipping starting on March 31st.....

BobMc

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a vp2 from xtar direct on 3/18 and it was supposed to ship March 31st,but they must be ahead of schedule,since mine arrived today :). I hooked it up and it looks to be a really nice charger,thanks to all the advice here I knew what to order.

Capolini

Banned
Not if they have been charging at 1A

Hi HKJ!!,

THIS IS REGARDING POSTS # 15 AND 16.

I am glad I checked this out,,,,I got an answer,,,,,,,don't totally understand it!

Different charger but same outcome w/ a 14500 L.ion. My new Fenix ARE-C2 stopped charging my AW 14500 battery at 4.14v? My Nitecore I4 will charge it to 4.18v? So the reason is because of the 1A?

The 18650's which are definitely charged at 1A come off the charger at 4.20/21/22.

What does not make sense is that this ARE-C2 is exactly like the MCC-4.For shorter batteries per your review, it only charges at .5A because of that little spring in the very back?

Could you clear this up please?!!:)

p.s. the battery is only 6 months old.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a vp2 from xtar direct on 3/18 and it was supposed to ship March 31st,but they must be ahead of schedule,since mine arrived today :). I hooked it up and it looks to be a really nice charger,thanks to all the advice here I knew what to order.

My dealer handling my recalled unit stated that Xtar was ready to ship from China and that they had received the dealer's returns. That was Wednesday, IIRC. Once they hit Seattle, they're be sent back out to the original batch owners, so maybe for me, next week?

FWIW, I asked Lisa about some people being able to keep their recalled units and still get sent an updated unit and she said that she wished she could have done that because contacting everybody, issuing return postage paid RMAs, keeping track of who's sent what and dealing with complaints has been a big pain in her/their behinds, but Xtar wanted her batch sent back for some reason.

Chris

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisGarrett, regarding your issue with returning the VP2, my guess is that since Mtnelectronics just recently became a dealer with Xtar, they have a different relationship with Xtar as opposed to Illumination Gear who from what I've read have a longer relationship (more trusting) with Xtar. This is just speculation though...

I don't have the VP2 but I've been keeping up with the recall and such.
I hope you all get your new chargers soon and start using/enjoying them as I have been with the SP1.
On a positive note, at least this recall/issue was caught soon after the VP2's release and not months/year after.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChrisGarrett, regarding your issue with returning the VP2, my guess is that since Mtnelectronics just recently became a dealer with Xtar, they have a different relationship with Xtar as opposed to Illumination Gear who from what I've read have a longer relationship (more trusting) with Xtar. This is just speculation though...

I'm not mad, but it would have been nice to have two of them...sometimes we win and sometimes we lose, right?

Chris

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not mad, but it would have been nice to have two of them...sometimes we win and sometimes we lose, right?
No doubt that two chargers would have been nice!
I'm wondering though, since the issue was enough for a recall maybe you're saving yourself from some heartache from any future issues that would have arisen from that charger. ;)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt that two chargers would have been nice!
I'm wondering though, since the issue was enough for a recall maybe you're saving yourself from some heartache from any future issues that would have arisen from that charger. ;)

I'm into high end vacuum tube HiFi gear. I'm used to stuff breaking down, lol.

Anyhow, time to move on.

I broke down my very first laptop battery pack and got 8 Sony ~2002ish US 18650GR G4 2000mAh cells that were all at 3.70x/3.71x and charged up fine to 4.17v and settled at 4.14/4.15v.

I'll let them sit for a couple of weeks and see if they drop and then play around with them. I have two more VAIO packs, so if they work out, that's 24 outdated cells to fiddle with!

Lucky me.

Chris

Goredoth

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a couple VP2's from XtarDirect and I'm aware they won't be shipped with an Australian plug. Does anyone know if it is okay for me to cut the US/EU plug off and attach a new Australian one? I did it to all my English plugs but it was mainly Lamps, Toasters and the like so I'm a little worried maybe I can't do this to something that seems so delicate and potentially dangerous.

Thanks.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I just ordered a couple VP2's from XtarDirect and I'm aware they won't be shipped with an Australian plug. Does anyone know if it is okay for me to cut the US/EU plug off and attach a new Australian one? I did it to all my English plugs but it was mainly Lamps, Toasters and the like so I'm a little worried maybe I can't do this to something that seems so delicate and potentially dangerous.

It is probably a bit difficult to do it with a plug pack.
You can probably find a 12V supply that can be used locally.

kj2

Flashaholic

Thanks.
The plug is attached to a charging-brick, so replacing the plugs is a no-go. But you could add a plug-converter.

inetdog

Enlightened
Just FYI, the power conversion unit with a mains cord on one end and the output cord or socket on the other is what is usually called a brick.
The power conversion unit with the male mains plug built directly into it is more properly called a "wall wart".

Goredoth

Newly Enlightened
Ah well that is a bit of a bummer. I have heaps of those Australian male plug heads kicking about. Ah well thanks guys.

HJK when you say "You can probably find a 12V supply that can be used locally." excuse my ignorance but what exactly do you mean?

HKJ

Flashaholic
HJK when you say "You can probably find a 12V supply that can be used locally." excuse my ignorance but what exactly do you mean?

I expect the VP2 uses a 12 volt 1A plug pack with a barrel connector, I do not expect you will have any difficulties finding a substitute locally.

Goredoth

Newly Enlightened
Oh right, I know what you're talking about didn't know what they were called haha. That is good I have a bag full of those types of plugs in the garage like 10-20 hopefully one of them will do the job. Cheers.

cvedrick

Newly Enlightened
Makes me glad I was too cheap to buy a VP1, not I can get the VP2, have a "charged" LED and use 26000 series batteries!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my re-engineered VP2 in the mail today. The dealer sent me a naked Sanyo 2600mAh FM cell as a nice gesture.

Unfortunately, I used my WP2 II to charge up most of my cells last night, lol, so I have nothing to test it out on, until I run something down.

Chris