Your Best Homemade Accessories and MacGyver-Like Flashlight Applications

bnemmie

Enlightened
Re: Improvised Surefire Grip Rings from Lowe's Home Improvement.....

Not really homemade or anything but putting those $15 Nite-Izes in EVERYTHING. The output isnt anything earth shattering, but the runtime is insane. Old beat up workhorse 2D M@gs, US military angle heads, Old Craftsman and Rayovac 2AA and 4AA toolbox lights...you name it. My next idea is to put one in one of those camping lanterns that take 6V lantern batteries. It would run for days.

DREW297

Newly Enlightened

Heat shrink on my pocket clips for knives and lights. keeps from scratching paint jobs and leather seats. added benefit
is it helps keep pocket knives inconspicuous and adds grip.

Burgess

Flashaholic

My next idea is to put one in one of those camping lanterns that take 6V lantern batteries.

Just keep in mind . . . .

Many 6-volt lanterns have " Reverse Polarity " at the bulb.

Check it first, and save yer'self the anguish of seeing a new LED lamp go :poof:

bnemmie

Enlightened

Just keep in mind . . . .

Many 6-volt lanterns have " Reverse Polarity " at the bulb.

Check it first, and save yer'self the anguish of seeing a new LED lamp go :poof:

Thanks for the reminder. Ya, I would hate to see it go up in a little puff of smoke.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl

Nothing too extreme - I put together some appropriately sized nylon washers with a nut and short bolt to act as a lengthwise spacer to convert a flashlight designed for 3xAAA in a carrier to use one 18500 LiFePO4 cell. For diameter on those - a few 18mm ID x 2mm O-rings around the cell work great. Perhaps a bit more hassle than a one-piece adapter, but also one heck of a lot cheaper.

They're not really flashlights, but I came up with a modification of the "throwie" idea to use as trail marker lights during a camping trip. Easy to put together once you get the hang of it - and I've used them during power failures in lieu of candles to provide general low-level illumination.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not really homemade or anything but putting those $15 Nite-Izes in EVERYTHING. The output isnt anything earth shattering, but the runtime is insane. Old beat up workhorse 2D M@gs, US military angle heads, Old Craftsman and Rayovac 2AA and 4AA toolbox lights...you name it. My next idea is to put one in one of those camping lanterns that take 6V lantern batteries. It would run for days.

I have quite a few of the 1-Watt drop-ins myself...but even better for hurrican/emergency lighting, are the 10mm LED drop-ins...you thought the the 1-watt ones lasted a long time...the 10mm will run for days/weeks non-stop.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened

After I got my 4 Sevens Maelstrom, I found the clicky switch to be a bit softer than I cared for. So I started thinking about the hard press McClicky kits, but didn't have the appropriately sized O-ring. Then I looked on the floor and saw one of my daughter's slip on pencil erasers, and the proverbial light bulb came on, OK XP-G r5:ohgeez:.
So I cut the slip on part of the eraser off and slipped it over the disassembled switch which when reassembled, fit the switch boot perfectly! So when reassembled it was perfect for my needs!

Also, the Maelstrom has the well known 'donut hole' in the beam, so I found a small cardboard disc about a half inch in diameter, and then took a hole punch to it and dropped it under the reflector to change the position of the reflector. Works like a charm, while maintaining all of the throw of the smooth reflector!

Both mods are cheap, easy, and doable out of easily accessible materials!!

J.

varmint

Enlightened

A military surplus pistol magazine pouch works great for a light holster and costs about $1-2, very durable also.

bnemmie

Enlightened

I have quite a few of the 1-Watt drop-ins myself...but even better for hurrican/emergency lighting, are the 10mm LED drop-ins...you thought the the 1-watt ones lasted a long time...the 10mm will run for days/weeks non-stop.

Nice, good to know. Ill keep my eye out for some. Thanks man.

ssvqwnp

Newly Enlightened

A military surplus pistol magazine pouch works great for a light holster and costs about $1-2, very durable also.

Now there's something I hadn't thought of before... I may have to stop by the local Army surplus store and see if they have any. Good thinkin', varmint.

hoongern

Enlightened

Instant headlamp with any paracord/string, especially when it's a lot easier to carry than a dedicated headlamp mount. All adjustable knots (Bowline, tautline hitch #1855, and some type of adjustable alpine butterfly knot) so you can really tighten it up. Of course, you can't really adjust where it points vertically that much, but the point of this is for the times when you don't have a headlamp mount. I always have paracord with me.

4.jpg

It's tight enough that you can do this if you REALLY REALLY wanted to:
(It's a modded Mag 2D producing > 1500lumens)

mag09-headlamp.jpg

Lucem Ferre

Newly Enlightened

12419205.jpg

old4570 said:
Just sacrifice a wheel mouse to the 6P , yes these rubber rings are the rubber wheels from a computer wheel mouse ...

LINK

Anonnn

Newly Enlightened

^ That may just be the best headlamp I've ever seen.

I use my wedding ring to tailstand lights that have a protruding button on their tail cap.

DWood

Newly Enlightened

I was hoping to see some DIY battery holders for AAs and CR123s. Anyone got?

Anonnn

Newly Enlightened

I've used those round plastic chewing gum canisters before to hold batteries.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use plastic wrap for camping trips: most compact, most light and more water tight than a lot of battery containers

Anonnn

Newly Enlightened
I've seen that some people suggest those old film canisters for this as well.

DWood

Newly Enlightened
Not homemade, but the case for the Seidio extended battery I just bought for my Evo cell phone is a perfect fit for 5 AA Eneloops.

Seidiobatteryholder.jpg