Your Best Homemade Accessories and MacGyver-Like Flashlight Applications

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Improvised Surefire Grip Rings from Lowe's Home Improvement.....

First off I really like Surefire's C2 series of lights but as they age and wear from EDC, the grip rings get too soft for my tastes, as it begins to twist and give too easily under pressure of the cigar grip, so I parted with my last C2 and went strictly to my straight bodied lights.
While at Lowe's the other day looking for some o-rings to make my LX2 a little more 'grippy', I picked up some Danco #9 o-rings from the plumbing department. They were a perfect fit, not too small that I couldn't get it on, but not so loose that they slide off easily. I decided to 'stack' them on the rear 2/3rds of the light to try an improvised grip ring. Here's what I came up with........

Works well on my SF D2 as well. Let me know what you think....

J.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Improvised Surefire Grip Rings from Lowe's Home Improvement.....

Awesome! This belongs in the newly created "McGyver Thread"...LOL!

jac2001

Newly Enlightened

Dag nabbit!!! I missed that one!
Thanks for the kind words.

J.

CmeCU

Newly Enlightened

Also check out the round, black HOSE washers (not the flattened orange ones.) They're much thicker, and are working well on my HDS EDC Rotary. They also work well as 'rubber bumpers' on the lens end. On a light without a hole for a lanyard (like the Maglite XL series), they can be used to loop a flatter cord around for a lanyard attachment, and will also 'give' if it gets hooked on something.

nightshade

Enlightened

Tomcat!

Enlightened

For a couple of years now I've been using a TwoFish LockBlock to mount a Zebralight H60 to the tool pipe of my cylinder vacuum cleaner so I can see under furniture without holding a light in my hand.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

For a couple of years now I've been using a TwoFish LockBlock to mount a Zebralight H60 to the tool pipe of my cylinder vacuum cleaner so I can see under furniture without holding a light in my hand.

Just modified the sofa so the Roomba can go under ours. Not sure leveling bolts fall under this thread though!

dougw

Newly Enlightened

The white plastic cap from Chap Stik fits the ITP A3 SS EDC perfectly - more to protect lens when in my pocket with keys and such. Transparent enough to provide some light at door locks, etc. but easily removable when full output is required. I wish I could find something similar for a Fenix LD10.

Anonnn

Newly Enlightened

red lens adapter for AAA sized flashlights

Okay, THAT was incredible. Using 3D glasses was a great idea.

Does anyone have a solution for the high-friction, deteriorating fabric area that occurs on your pockets, where you continually remove and return your flashlight? I thought about folding a piece of duct tape over that area...but that seemed a little too "white trash"...even for this thread. ;)

DM51

Flashaholic

An adaptation/improvisation of a SF filter:

RaClickyBumpers.jpg

One the bezel end of the Ra/HDS Clicky is a SF diffuser filter (F04). on the tailcap end is a similar red or blue filter (can't remember which) with the filter itself pushed out of the rubber holder. The two filter holders make for a perfect non-clatter, non-roll, tail-standing light for nightstand use. The default setting is on the lowest level (0.04 lm IIRC). This is perfect for moving around the house at night and it doesn't wake anyone up so I don't get any :rant: from Mrs. DM51.

It will work on any 1-inch diameter light.

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
The white plastic cap from Chap Stik fits the ITP A3 SS EDC perfectly

The green cap from a tube of Blistex can turn any of the Maratac AAA/iTP size lights into neat little map reading lights, and it diffuses the light into a nice soft glowing green for pitch-black house duties, when night adapted vision is critical to retain. To take full advantage, I use a very depleted AAA cell in the Maratac, twist it to low, with the Blistex cap on.

Darvis

Enlightened
Dr Brown's plastic baby bottle lids (white translucent) fit perfectly on surefire Z44 bezels to make great diffusers...

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee filter sample book is a great tool to change the tint of your flashlight. It can also be used for different color lights and diffusers. Very cool tool for any enthusiast

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dose this count?

CIMG1949.jpg

I have to redo the RRT21 though! Maybe I'll use the O-Ring idea on that one, since it has lots of recessed surfaces like the head.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

The red caps from Target pharmacy pill bottles make good filters. With a little tape for a tight fit they'll work on almost any light.

Geoff