ZebraLight H502 XM-L

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 minute dunk. No effect so far, other than a slightly cleaner ZL. Will report if anything turns up...

DavidT, how long was your dunk test?

zl-dunk.jpg

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
15 minute dunk. No effect so far, other than a slightly cleaner ZL. Will report if anything turns up...

DavidT, how long was your dunk test?

zl-dunk.jpg

2 hours.

After your dunk test, I recommend running it on low or medium until the battery dies to make sure you don't have a unit like mine. Though I am pretty sure mine was a lemon and not a typical ZL light.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's more like a dive test than a dunk test. OK, running on low, thanks.

Just discovered the H502 will head stand as well as tail stand.

And on a dying battery, it'll go to H2 but not H1.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Var, that is an excellent shot of the glowing "reflector." Whilst I totally respect DavidT's opinion, innovations, and very clever carry style (if you've not tried it you should, it's just the ticket for certain situations, like travel and EDC), I must say I'm looking forward to the magic green glow. Always wanted a light with the glow near the emitter.

Prediction: DavidT will eventually tire of his ZL redundancy and carry a single H502, with some ingenious beam modification device that will convert it to a directional flood or spot/spill. Because so far the man's been relentlessly spartan in his carry.

Actually I love the idea of carrying 2 ZL angled lights. What would be the best backup for your ZL angled light? Another ZL angled light, of course.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pictures!

Nice little light, huh? If mine wasn't defective, I would have kept it.

The first beam shot sure shows the neutral hot spot surrounded by the cool beam with green edges. I can't wait for the H502w. I think the hot spot and green edges will disappear with warm version.

Calcustom

Newly Enlightened
Its a great light. The green edges aren't really an issue, unless your white wall hunting

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a great light. The green edges aren't really an issue, unless your white wall hunting

+10

I have been using this light every day for about 2 weeks now (Especially during emergency calls over the weekend) and the "green edges" are NOT an issue, I never once thought about it or even noticed it. If your going to sit on your couch and hunt for white walls I suggest you don't buy this ZL.
-Bobby

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with all of these great impressions and the form factor of the zebralight that I love, I cannot for the life of me commit to buy. I have had it in my cart literally 7 times I cannot pull the trigger. Its bothering me that I'm having such a hard time with a light I both need and know. Anyone have any more good things to say to ready Mr in the right direction for just long enough? This its making me sad, I'm just at a mental brick wall.
Thanks,

-Alex

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not sure which light you want and don't need one right away, wait a while longer. Zebralight is known for making continuous refinements to their products. By the times you buy, say, in a few weeks, they might have improved on the waterproofing their new lights and gotten rid of that atrocious GITD thing.

brianb6603

Newly Enlightened
Even with all of these great impressions and the form factor of the zebralight that I love, I cannot for the life of me commit to buy. I have had it in my cart literally 7 times I cannot pull the trigger. Its bothering me that I'm having such a hard time with a light I both need and know. Anyone have any more good things to say to ready Mr in the right direction for just long enough? This its making me sad, I'm just at a mental brick wall.
Thanks,

-Alex

I have had my H502 for 3+ weeks now. My H51 was my primary EDC (along with a Quark AA2 W, yes I carry 2 lights every day). The H502 has exceeded my expectations on every front. I can see the green band only up close to a white wall. When used properly (clipped to shirt or in head band) the light is even and bright and it is impossible to see any color variation. The 260lm setting is very good for impressing people but otherwise is too bright for full darkness. I leave it on at the .01lm level on my bedside table but turn it away from my face. It actually is enough light to keep the toes safe if you get up during the late night. I have only done a quick dunk test, not an extended drowning but no apparent leakage has occurred. As has been said, this is not a do everything light (I do carry 2 very different lights) but 90% of the time I reach for the H502 first, it's just that useful. Do I wish I had waited for the c, d, or w, not so much. I may give this one to my wife and pick up the w, we'll see. My advice, pick your color and buy it. You will be glad you did.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not sure which light you want and don't need one right away, wait a while longer. Zebralight is known for making continuous refinements to their products. By the times you buy, say, in a few weeks, they might have improved on the waterproofing their new lights and gotten rid of that atrocious GITD thing.

Haha thanks David. I think that's my plan right now. I have a Sunwayman on the way that fills several gaps in my collection. Hoping that will do what I need or he time being.

-Alex

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Re: ZebraLight H502 X-ML

This might be a possibility, but I just don't know. I did the dunk test almost right away after turning it on and off a few times to make sure I have a working light.

Anyway it's going back and I will be waiting for the H502w. I am back to using the H51w as my neck light/headlamp. My preference for neutral tint is once again reaffirmed by looking at the H502 and H51w side by side.

Using them side by side, I have noticed that, while the wide beam of the H502 is great for many things, it is not great for everything. If you don't need to use the super wide beam, much of it is just wasted. I find that my eyes are distracted with the wide beam when I try to focus on something small at arm's length.

I can't wait for the H502w though.

I will be holding off for the w as well but need to read up on the other options.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 502c is now at the top of my list of new lights to get. Not sure if it'll go in my hiking pack (I always keep a headlamp in it, right now it's my Spark ST5-190), or in my EDC bag. I'll have to wait and see how it works for me first.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure if I want the D or the C. I love the slightly warmer tint but I am also curious to see how 5000k hi CRI would be like.

Esko

Enlightened
I think the hot spot and green edges will disappear with warm version.
I sure hope it does. I agree this would be a great light without the green edges in the tint.

Hot spot?

I don't believe that the green edges will disappear, they might just change to yellow. There is some variation in my NW Spark beams too, it just seems to be a feature in XM-L. That said, It doesn't really matter much in practical use, and yellow would be more pleasant than green anyway.

I got my 502d a few days ago. Very nice light and very nice beam color. They have also added a place for a top strap to the holder (a rather thin place but a place anyway). 502c would probably be more pleasant to use on lower levels though, I might consider buing that later, too.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the H502D closer to cool white or neutral?

Hot spot?

I don't believe that the green edges will disappear, they might just change to yellow. There is some variation in my NW Spark beams too, it just seems to be a feature in XM-L. That said, It doesn't really matter much in practical use, and yellow would be more pleasant than green anyway.

I got my 502d a few days ago. Very nice light and very nice beam color. They have also added a place for a top strap to the holder (a rather thin place but a place anyway). 502c would probably be more pleasant to use on lower levels though, I might consider buing that later, too.

Latest posts