ZebraLight H502 XM-L

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking at the specs for the SC80 -- 3.2 inches long and can accommodate both types of batteries -- I am wishing they make the H502 this way. Such a headlamp would be the first in the world and will sell like crazy. 3.2 inches isn't too long/tall for a headlamp. The H51 is 3.2in long, and I have no problem with this length.

Harry999

Enlightened
That is a great idea. Hopefully it could then run 14500 batteries.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

uknewbie

Banned
Yeah the ability to run 14500 would be good, very good.

Sent from my ANDROID device.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had CR123 in mind when I posted above because, when in a pinch, you can get it at most places. As for 14500, I am pretty sure you can stick one in your current and future ZL lights with no problem. They will still put out light even if the circuit isn't optimized for it.

The big attraction of having a light that can take two completely different battery types is that it gives you options when you don't have access to your primary battery. Take me for example. My primary battery is Eneloop AA, and I always carry 4 in my backpack. If I lose the backpack and need a new battery, I can go to just about any corner store and and buy either AA or CR123 to use -- if I have something like the SC80.

Last edited:

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
Dammit! Just as I finally decide on getting an H51fw, you guys go and throw a spanner in the works!

I never really understood the difference between the functionality of the H51f range and the h501's. Can anyone tell me?

I'm looking for a right angled light that i can clip to my jacket pocket when i go out for a walk at night. The h51fw seemed to be the best choice. Should I get the h51fw or hold on for the h502?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dammit! Just as I finally decide on getting an H51fw, you guys go and throw a spanner in the works!

I never really understood the difference between the functionality of the H51f range and the h501's. Can anyone tell me?

I'm looking for a right angled light that i can clip to my jacket pocket when i go out for a walk at night. The h51fw seemed to be the best choice. Should I get the h51fw or hold on for the h502?

The H51F is brighter and throws further than the H501. However, it doesn't have a true flood beam like the H501. There are a lot of happy owners. Get it if you need one now. Otherwise wait for the H502. The new H502 is absolutely worth waiting for. I haven't been this excited about any light before.

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
Ironically, I was worried about the h51fw being too floody. Most of my lights are pretty throwy, sc51, fenix ld10, 20 and 40, so thats what im used to. Figured I'd go for something different this time so I'm not doubling up on what I already have, just in a slightly different form factor. I dont need one immediately as i have all the above so I'd be happy enough to hold out if the 502 would be better for me.

I want to see what I'm about to step in, but I want to see more than 15 feet in front of me, so maybe the 502 wouldn't be the ideal choice. You guys would know better about that as I've never has a flood light before.

Of course it is really annoying when you buy a light and the next month one comes out that is brighter and runs for longer!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H51F/H502 will let you see more than 15ft in front of you. In my experience a true flood beam is extremely useful for everything from reading to walking. With a true flood beam you don't have to turn your head constantly to aim the beam. I have flashlights with more throw than my H501/H51W, but I don't use them anymore. In fact I haven't been interested in buying flashlights for sometimes now. My H51W has probably the same throw as your SC51. I have to use a diffuser material to smooth out the beam to achieve a floodier beam. But the somewhat diffused beam of my H51W is not as useful as the true flood beam of the H501.

The point is, if you get an angle ZL light with a true flood beam, you will most likely say what I said after getting mine: "How did I live without it!!!"

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
I've pretty much decided on getting a flood light and your comments have got me much more confident and excited about getting one. Just have to decide between the h51fw and the h502!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use DC-fix on my H51w and I really like it. I'm not a fan of the "pure flood" beam. I like the bright but diffused center tapering off in brightness that you get with a frosted lens and reflector combination. Paolos: the best way to describe the beam on the F models is just like this... you get a bright but diffuse center, the corona around the hotspot blends gradually into the spill portion of the beam, and the spill seem to get darker on the edges, at least to my eyes, with the reflector/frosted-lens combo. I really like that beam profile. I currently EDC an SC50w+ that I've had for over a year now, and I use DC-fix on it as well. Even with just a regular Eneloop or an L91 in it, at 107 lumens and the DC fix on it, it's plenty of bright for EDC use. There's an old cemetery at the top of a hill near where I live, and I take my wife's poodle out for at night up that hill usually. There's lots of tree cover and my 50w+ is plenty bright in that situation; it will easily light up the fence and wall of the cemetery from across the street, a distance of a good 40' or so. Even on the sidewalk up there and back, where there are the standard sodium vapor streetlights we have here in the States, the 107 lumens is still enough to brightly light up a good 15' - 20' in front of me, with the DC-fix on the lens.

In short, an Fw on its two highest settings will still give you a pretty decent range for the beam.

tygger

Enlightened
I have to agree with david. The H501w is the best headlamp I've ever owned, especially for camping. When the H502w comes out, I'm buying two.

saypat

Enlightened
I have to agree with david. The H501w is the best headlamp I've ever owned, especially for camping. When the H502w comes out, I'm buying two.

no problem, just don't buy the last two! I want one!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this talk of the pure flood beams has me interested now... I bought an energizer headlamp about a year and a half ago that has a focusable output, but its beam profile is ringy, especially zoomed in, and even zoomed out it's got a pretty narrow beam. It's also cool white, which I can't stand anymore.

So despite my earlier bad experience with the pure flood beam, I'm willing to consider getting one... this is Zebralight we're talking about, after all... :D

moses

Enlightened
Marking. Been waiting for this for over a year now - its been quite delayed but yes, it is probably the most anticipated light to suit my needs. Nothing like a great flood lamp. If they would come out with a high CRI unit, even if it is dimmer, that would just be close to perfection.

Mo

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
My word, Zebralight needs to give my wallet a break! I just got the H51c and I am delighted, delighted! Compared to my H501w, the H51c is MUCH better at rendering color--I am amazed. But, although this light has a beautiful beam, it is a traditional beam with a reflector, and thus hotspot + spill. This makes it a better caving light possibly, and better for medium to long distances, of course, but actually makes me like it less for the late night close up tasks that I use my H501w for--like reading books! So now... I am already getting hungry for the H502c (XM-L)... so I will wait with you...

What an amazing time to be a flashaholic!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing time indeed!

I like both my H501 and H51W, but prefer the true flood beam of the H501. The H501, unfortunately, isn't bright enough for more than 15ft away. The H502W will be the light for me.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto that. I own 3 H501s, have given away 3 as gifts, and I still could use another one. But, holding off until this H502w appears, it sounds excellent.

uknewbie

Banned
Here here.

What will be the difference between the H502 and the H602 I wonder?

Both will have to be bought.

So will the S6330b when it arrives. That sounds awesome.